Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: LP development

That was my thought. The only thing they need to complete would be the relocation of the chair lift to accomodate the beginners and lessons.

Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Yes, we can work on this in the winter without affecting ski or village operations. We would want to be framed in by the time the snow falls though.

As an aside, the notion that you might add a 30 room hostel to that Bldg E is tremendous. Since Stowe's went by the wayside a few years back, there's really been a gap in Northern Vt for that ype of accommodation. As you clearly recognized with your 420s pass, today's 20-something brown baggers are tomorrows 30 and 40-something regulars, so providing that demographic with a cheap place to stay at the base would be a great asset in targeting that group. It would also bring a lot of life to the base area and perhaps enable it to achieve critical mass from a night life perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by win View Post
    Yes, we can work on this in the winter without affecting ski or village operations. We would want to be framed in by the time the snow falls though.
    lets hope that snow falls promptly, frequently and copiously next season!

do the hotel rooms and conference space in the new building have anything to do with the future of the sugarbush inn???

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman View Post
    As an aside, the notion that you might add a 30 room hostel to that Bldg E is tremendous. Since Stowe's went by the wayside a few years back, there's really been a gap in Northern Vt for that ype of accommodation. As you clearly recognized with your 420s pass, today's 20-something brown baggers are tomorrows 30 and 40-something regulars, so providing that demographic with a cheap place to stay at the base would be a great asset in targeting that group. It would also bring a lot of life to the base area and perhaps enable it to achieve critical mass from a night life perspective.
    I was under the impression they were more "hotel" than "hostel". but either way, great addition to the base "village".

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    I was under the impression they were more "hotel" than "hostel". but either way, great addition to the base "village".
    Howie, I certainly suspect and hope that 30 rooms equates to lower reasonably priced hotel type housing and not a hostel. There are already hostel type bed accommodations with Giles & Sarah at Hostel Tevere down near the Powderhound at 100/mountain road intersection. And I hope that Win gets sufficient hard deposits after completion of the local and state permitting process so that this project can begin. Construction action breeds interest
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Where did this Hostel idea come from? I didn't see anything about that. Did I miss something?
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by gostan View Post
    Howie, I certainly suspect and hope that 30 rooms equates to lower reasonably priced hotel type housing and not a hostel. There are already hostel type bed accommodations with Giles & Sarah at Hostel Tevere down near the Powderhound at 100/mountain road intersection. And I hope that Win gets sufficient hard deposits after completion of the local and state permitting process so that this project can begin. Construction action breeds interest
    how many rooms are there in the sugarbush inn? I wonder if this is purely supplemental or if they plan on renovating or selling the sugarbush inn and this provides an alternative.
    either way, having 30 rooms within walking distance of the base and sugarbush village will liven things up a bit and maybe provide "critical mass" as Tin said.

The Inn has 40+ rooms and is reasonably priced and fits a nice market niche in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Where did this Hostel idea come from? I didn't see anything about that. Did I miss something?
    The Valley Reported article linked to upthread said it was a hostel.

The Valley Reported article linked to upthread said it was a hostel.
    How many beds in a room? 30 rooms could equate into a large number of beds if it is a true hostel. Nothing wrong with this type of use, but when is a hostel not really a hostel or ski dorm? Or, when are 30 rooms labelled preliminarily as a hostel really a hostel?

Wish we were still open top to bottom, instead of deliberating such important issues as hostel or hotel. Anybody want to start a lottery on next season's first snow storm.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Quote Originally Posted by gostan View Post
    How many beds in a room? 30 rooms could equate into a large number of beds if it is a true hostel. Nothing wrong with this type of use, but when is a hostel not really a hostel or ski dorm? Or, when are 30 rooms labelled preliminarily as a hostel really a hostel?

Wish we were still open top to bottom, instead of deliberating such important issues as hostel or hotel. Anybody want to start a lottery on next season's first snow storm.
    While there are important differences between a hostel and a hotel (aside from just the "S"), my guess/hope is that, as a practical matter for this case, it's a distinction w/o a difference. Might have just been a typo in the VR or, I'm hoping, is a reflection of the intent to build some sort of budget accommodation for younger folks. Boomers are now into retirement, and you've got to find a way to attract their kids, so they get hooked and bring their own kids a few years later. Plus, that whole "critical mass" thing of nightlife and activity in the LP base area is something that's been missing for some time. With K-Mart continuing its efforts to drive away their younger demographic, and Stowe driving relentlessly upmarket, there exists a tremendous opportunity for SB to fill the void here.

While there are important differences between a hostel and a hotel (aside from just the "S"), my guess/hope is that, as a practical matter for this case, it's a distinction w/o a difference. Might have just been a typo in the VR or, I'm hoping, is a reflection of the intent to build some sort of budget accommodation for younger folks. Boomers are now into retirement, and you've got to find a way to attract their kids, so they get hooked and bring their own kids a few years later. Plus, that whole "critical mass" thing of nightlife and activity in the LP base area is something that's been missing for some time. With K-Mart continuing its efforts to drive away their younger demographic, and Stowe driving relentlessly upmarket, there exists a tremendous opportunity for SB to fill the void here.
    I might very well be wrong, but I dont get the impression the rooms are intended to be in the "budget" category.

Not in this location!

I understand that but its not going to be super expensive, right?