View Poll Results: When Will The Snow Guns Start Blowing Snow?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Saturday, November 5

0 0%
  • Tuesday, November 8

0 0%
  • Saturday, November 12

5 41.67%
  • Tuesday, November 15

6 50.00%
  • Tuesday, November 22

1 8.33%
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    just stepped out side and at least its cold out right now

It is looking like I may need to ask Nick if it is possible to mod the dates on the poll. The Long range forecast looks tobe about10 degrees higher than normal over the next week, with nighttime below freezing temps starting to settle in sometime around or after November 19. Hopefully, we can make up any days lost on the front end of the upcoming season in May. (just like last year).
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

I think I will avoid looking at any forecasts for the next week or two.

My guess would be that if the pattern changes around the 20th and we get round the clock freezing temps we could be skiing by december. seeing how it is only the 7th it is too early to tell so there is still plenty of time for things to improve. The resort hasn't completely ruled out the 19th yet either.

My personal expectation would be sometime in the first week of December, although I think there is still is hope for the end of November.

Anybody want to flip a quarter?
    Last edited by NorthLynx; 11-07-2011 at 07:49 AM.

It's just dollars and cents to me. Killington and Sunday River will be open so there won't be the Jones factor. It is unfortunate that I will have to spend extra money but it is money well spent in my opintion. This will be a good test of these new guns. It will be interesting to see how much snow they actually put out once the temperatures fall.

NL mentions the cold weather window starting the 20th or so. After reading all the discussions I would venture to say it may be even later than that. Yup the 19th looks like it will come and go.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

The only good thing about talking about the weather and snowmaking is that this forums heating (I hate to use that word in a thread about snowmaking guns) up as we all tend to get a bit more antsy about cold winter nights leading to some slick groomers that ends up with lots of tree skiing.

But, of course, if thing s do not start looking up.....there is always the possibility of booking a flight out west at months' end.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    Look who's back. it's not really winter until shady is shoveling a path through feet of snow for the chairs of the gate to heaven.

Oh I've been here all along... just not much to post during the summer and double-duty at the golf course kept me busy that I didn't have much time for hiking.

Now just staring out the window and hoping for a call to return to duty soon. The suspense is killing me.

Guess another inversion last night - it was in the 30s this morning up at my place above the base area, but down in the Valley, everything was frosty and in the 20s.

WOW - MY 666th post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or 999 if you look at it upside down

looks like we will have another window late Thursday or Friday am but probably turning warmer again after Saturday. The new guns tested out well last week. And, Killington does have some too.

Quote Originally Posted by win View Post
    ...but probably turning warmer again after Saturday.
    Well then, Win, I guess you just have to get out of town again. We all know what happens with the weather when you do......

The accuweather 15 day forecast is starting to look promising again around the 18th.

Keep enjoying this late August weather!
    Last edited by NorthLynx; 11-08-2011 at 02:09 PM.

They were blowing up on jester this afternoon. Temps around the base were about 39 so I guess the temperatures were not inverted.

The forecast does also seem to indicate a pattern shift in the near future and at least the warmer temps over the next
    sevrale days won't be as bad as this past week.

It has been flurrying on and off for most of the afternoon too. I bet there are a few inches up top by now. Tomorrow might be nice turns at MRG for those with lots of energy and a high tolerance for turns on thin cover.

Snow!

John

The snow guns have been back on since the morning and hopefully can stay on through most of tomorrow. Another warm front coming in but starting midweek next week the forecast is looking much better.

Think you'll make the 19th so I can ski on my birthday? It's rare when it falls on a weekend and the weather cooperates so I can ski on my birthday.
    Will you open if it requires downloading?

The 19th is looking less likely but if we can we will and yes we will download. Snowmaking temperatures are not forecasted to return until late Wednesday or Thursday. After that it is looking much better and the forecast as of today is looking like colder temps early next week, so that could set us up for Thanksgiving top to bottom.