View Poll Results: When Will The Snow Guns Start Blowing Snow?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Saturday, November 5

0 0%
  • Tuesday, November 8

0 0%
  • Saturday, November 12

5 41.67%
  • Tuesday, November 15

6 50.00%
  • Tuesday, November 22

1 8.33%
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Late Sunday night, early Monday morning, there was a sudden temperature inversion from the teens to mid-30s - I live at 1740' and you could hear the snow thundering off my metal roof in the early hours. Until it was realized, the guns blew some very wet snow and there was icing.

That makes sense

Yeah gondolier was like a luge track! What I continue to not understand, not just throwing stones at sugarbush, is why in VT the mountains are not entering the 21st century given their dependence on snowmaking. In the Alps it is heavily computerized, I'll say this the eastern alps have had worse weather than VT but because of much better snowmaking technology were able to open a lot of terrain and they must be doing it efficiently because power costs there are VERY high compared to VT. Sensors let them know when they can make snow and they are able to shut it down and turn it on at the drop of a hat. Mind you from what I have seen it is only in limited places but itallows them to open a decent amount of terrain(10 trails or so) early so they are never caught without terrain. Sugarbush when they make investments in snowmaking really should look into automating the system and upgrading it so at early season when they get favorable conditions in a short window, they can take advantage of it.

I also heard that they are having problems with infrastruture. I guess they blew a main valve and that is hindering their ability to pump water. Hey it's just what I heard from a good source.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

websites indicating no snowmaking going on right now. Not even up top. Temps still under 28 up top but 31 at mid station. so I guess not worth it. Or the snowmakers need some sleep. Oh well, just hoping this turns into 2006/2007.

Ok, I guess I need to throw in my 2 cents......

First, as I noted in an earlier post this season after I looked at various private weather forecasts for the winter, I worried that Sugarbush's under-powered snowmaking systems would be exposed if the marginal weather materialized. Unfortunately this scenario has materialized in spades. I have been VERY surprised (shocked?) at the difference between Sugarbush and basically everyone else (ok, save MRG). I hesitate to keep this thread going as I think Win has done a fantastic job, I know Mike and crew are making the best and most snow they can, and I understand the real tradeoffs in investing tons of money in snowmaking while making the business (which is what it is) viable. Also, let’s not forget the HEROIC efforts, and cash, in getting the pond back in service after Irene! We'd be nowhere without that!

But looking forward, I wonder about the Phase 2 base build out? I agree that the build out of the base area thus far was a requirement, above even snowmaking improvements. What I wonder is whether, at this point, the next phase (possibly to start spring 2012) is more important that investing in snowmaking? Or is the cash flow from that build out needed for a possible snowmaking upgrade in 2013? Will a poor season, with lack luster snowmaking front and center, hurt Phase 2 sales? I’m sure Win is all other this, but I would like to hear his thoughts on Phase 2 and how/if it relates in any way to snowmaking upgrades, and what the longer range capital plans are regarding snowmaking.

In the meantime, there is no such thing as too many snow dances! THINK SNOW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vonski View Post
    websites indicating no snowmaking going on right now. Not even up top. Temps still under 28 up top but 31 at mid station. so I guess not worth it. Or the snowmakers need some sleep. Oh well, just hoping this turns into 2006/2007.
    could also be the wet bulb temperature forced them to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by sglatham View Post
    Ok, I guess I need to throw in my 2 cents......

First, as I noted in an earlier post this season after I looked at various private weather forecasts for the winter, I worried that Sugarbush's under-powered snowmaking systems would be exposed if the marginal weather materialized. Unfortunately this scenario has materialized in spades. I have been VERY surprised (shocked?) at the difference between Sugarbush and basically everyone else (ok, save MRG). I hesitate to keep this thread going as I think Win has done a fantastic job, I know Mike and crew are making the best and most snow they can, and I understand the real tradeoffs in investing tons of money in snowmaking while making the business (which is what it is) viable. Also, let’s not forget the HEROIC efforts, and cash, in getting the pond back in service after Irene! We'd be nowhere without that!

But looking forward, I wonder about the Phase 2 base build out? I agree that the build out of the base area thus far was a requirement, above even snowmaking improvements. What I wonder is whether, at this point, the next phase (possibly to start spring 2012) is more important that investing in snowmaking? Or is the cash flow from that build out needed for a possible snowmaking upgrade in 2013? Will a poor season, with lack luster snowmaking front and center, hurt Phase 2 sales? I’m sure Win is all other this, but I would like to hear his thoughts on Phase 2 and how/if it relates in any way to snowmaking upgrades, and what the longer range capital plans are regarding snowmaking.

In the meantime, there is no such thing as too many snow dances! THINK SNOW!!!
    my understanding is that they are not going to go ahead with phase 2 unless and until most of the units are presold.

Quote Originally Posted by vonski View Post
    They're still making snow, as they have been all day, on several trails on the upper half of ME so it seems they are making it where they can.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    my understanding is that they are not going to go ahead with phase 2 unless and until most of the units are presold.
    And any profits will not be utilized for snowmaking upgrades.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Win had indicated that the snow making capabilities on ME vs LP are two different setups. So I assumed that air used and production on Mt Ellen (Which I like seeing) does not effect production at LP. If this is the case then one might wonder why they can make snow at ME and not at LP. Or maybe not a question of if they can, but why they aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by MntMan4Bush View Post
    Win had indicated that the snow making capabilities on ME vs LP are two different setups. So I assumed that air used and production on Mt Ellen (Which I like seeing) does not effect production at LP. If this is the case then one might wonder why they can make snow at ME and not at LP. Or maybe not a question of if they can, but why they aren't.
    You are correct sir. They are 2 separate systems and have no connection whatsoever.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!