Historical Digs in MV

Next time I'm in the area (with a posse) we will be staying at Betsy's place. I could stay there all day and listen to her stories.
    Apart from that, what are THE historical places to see/do/eat/stay at in the MRV? Primarily I'm interested in lodging and eating.

No, I'm not interested in Ben & Jerrys (that's too new and too far) or Flatbread (that's too new). And no, I'm not interested in places that try to look old! I don't even care if the food/lodging is good or not!

I'm thinking vintage 60's and earlier, that had some sort of association with skiing. Or where old-timers hang out and swap stories and lies... You get the idea...

Betsy sent me to Hyde Away last time. Does Hyde Away have a history or what?

Thanks.

http://www.hydeawayinn.com/history Indeed, the Hyde Away has some history. Other long-time spots include the Warren Store for a great deli stop. Eat right in the store at trestle tables.
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

Quote Originally Posted by billski View Post
    Next time I'm in the area (with a posse) we will be staying at Betsy's place. I could stay there all day and listen to her stories.
    Apart from that, what are THE historical places to see/do/eat/stay at in the MRV? Primarily I'm interested in lodging and eating.

No, I'm not interested in Ben & Jerrys (that's too new and too far) or Flatbread (that's too new). And no, I'm not interested in places that try to look old! I don't even care if the food/lodging is good or not!

I'm thinking vintage 60's and earlier, that had some sort of association with skiing. Or where old-timers hang out and swap stories and lies... You get the idea...

Betsy sent me to Hyde Away last time. Does Hyde Away have a history or what?

Thanks.
    As for sugarbush historically you would need to go to chez Henri. French food with lots of history. But frankly there are some great new places which are it to be missed.

IIRC the Hyde-Away was one of the 4 original lodges built when MRG was opened. The name references Bruce Hyde a Jersey transplant who was our state rep in Montpelier for years and has been Commissioner of the Dept of Tourism for awhile now. Chez Henri is getting close to 50 yo, I think the Common Man is over 50 yo, both places are worth a visit.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer View Post
    IIRC the Hyde-Away was one of the 4 original lodges built when MRG was opened. The name references Bruce Hyde a Jersey transplant who was our state rep in Montpelier for years and has been Commissioner of the Dept of Tourism for awhile now. Chez Henri is getting close to 50 yo, I think the Common Man is over 50 yo, both places are worth a visit.
    SRO back in the house!
    Moved the store back into the GH? Did they do anything with the old ticket office space?

Hey Howie

Yup, we are back in GH.......from what I can tell the old tik office is going to remain a kiosk type thing for Sugarbush photography. If a Sugarbush photog, mostly being Sandy, took a pic of you, you can check out the pics there and purchase them if you wish. You can also check the pics in the Photo Gallery on the website. See you guys soon.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

We have a new portrait photo service moving into the ticket area. Check it out when you are in town next.

As for old places in the Valley not already mentioned, check out the Round Barn, Warren Store, Moretown General Store (go for a coffee and sit with the locals in the back), the Sugarbush Inn, Valley House, and Waitsfield Inn. The Hyde Away was originally the Snuggery, founded by the Williams brothers.

As for Besty's stories, take them all with a grain of salt. She is notorious for remembering them "her" way.