Mad River Valley Ski Mountaineering Race

can anyone tell me what the course is like
    Going up MRG and down Mt Ellen are easy enough but what about the Long Trail portion (should be easy enough to check out), the part where you jump off at Mt Ellen - does it follow the slide brooke express quad ? and finally up towards North lynx peak - they call that a "boot pack" but is it really or would you skin it?

thanks!
    http://www.ussma.org/sites/default/f...e%20Course.pdf

There are two mandatory hikes/bootpacks, but one is for Pros only and goes up FIS at Mount Ellen.

For both amateurs and Pros, the rest of the course, follows Rim Run>Lower FIS>Slide Brook access roads, mostly down, then up, low point at Grand Junction bridge>Village Run traverse at Lincoln Peak>top of Gatehouse Quad>Castlerock Connection>CR Runout>up Header(herringbone/sidestep/hike)>Lower Downspout>Coffee Run>Valley House finish.

The LT is up and down, be prepared for sometimes-tight skins-on trail skiing. The other bootpack is on a steep down section near the low point of the ridge crossing. It's my favorite part of the course, with views off both sides and along the spine.

This year's race will benefit the rebuilding of the Green Mountain Club's Glen Ellen shelter, which the race passes on the Long Trail.

John

I was trying to check out the course, and I was coming down lower FIS, after the slidebrook express lift lines, there's the slidebrook trail off to the right.. I went down and crossed the bridge and ... do you have to hang a right where there is a sort of big clearing? I stayed on the trail (left) and came out to a real nice looking log cabin on the right hand side and eventually came to slidebrook road by the fire warden.

thanks
    Last edited by pcampbell; 12-14-2012 at 12:40 PM.

When you come down off lower FIS keep bearing to the Right. As a point of reference you want to head toward the actual slide brook. Eventually you will come to the bridge that crosses Slide Brook at the bottom of the Linclon Peak side of the slide brook area. you will cross the bridge going in the up hill direction and bear left. This work road is the same road that you see from the lift as it comes over the last rise when headed in the Lincoln peak direciton. Now I am not sure how the race is run now but they used to send the experts all the way up that road and to the top of North Linx. The beginners would take a left half way up and go over to the top of the gate house lift via village run. Now if that makes sense then you are on your way.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Thanks, I see what I did now. I was coming down off lower FIS, crossing the first little bridge, and instead of making a right up a little hill to stay on on the trail, I went straight and got dumped out on Slide Brook road.

I am truly disappointed with the volunteer compensation offer this year! I've helped with this race for years. They have provided vouchers to use for our long day out on the race course. Basically loosing a weekend day of skiing. They have always given us a good any day vouchers. Since a lot of us are weekend people this work fine to bring up and share the MT with other weekend guests. But this year they are only offering mid-week vouchers. To be honest what good is that. My guests come on weekends. I really hope they change this. Otherwise for me it does not look like it is worth my time.

Come on Tree loose a weekend day for a weekday. no lines during the week. Wait weekends either. Not a good deal I agree. All about revenue can't loose the weekend money!!!

What, goive out a few vouchers so that they have coverage on the course? That might break the bank for sure. I think the good will of the weekend voucher went a long way and was deserved. i realy felt for Tree as I skied by him 3 or 4 times during the day acouple of years ago. Those vochers do not cost them anything.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

The powers to be have changed the policy and will be in fact providing weekend vouchers for those who want to donate their time and help us run a safe race. I will be again giving back and helping to share our great valley to the local and out of town racers. I understand they still could use additional volunteers. If your interested contact Kyler Turnbull Kturnbull@sugarbush.com . To the racers good racing. See you on the race course. Hopefully with good weather.

Just wanted to pass on my THANK YOU for putting on this great race. I've been trying to do this since 2011, but finally got around to doing the short course yesterday. What a challenge--lots of fun and perfect weather for it. The volunteers were great . There was someone at just about every intersection of the race to tell you where to go. I guess next year I have to do the long course. I enjoyed my coffee in my new randonee race mug this morning. Thanks again to Sugarbush and Mad River Glen.

Also thanks for updating the course maps on the website- very helpful. I imagine the pros appreciate the longer course this year too as I think it's been a little shorter in recent years.
    Last edited by pcampbell; 02-24-2014 at 12:26 PM.

I am glad it turned out to be a good race. I did find in strange or interesting that none of the original volunteers got asked to help this year. I also heard that the most remote site in the middle of Slidebrook did go un-maned. I hope no one got injured or lost out there. The couple intersection monitors said they were recruited with in the last 48 hours. Strange!

I ran it the first couple of years. Its a fun race,was happy to just finish it. This year worked at the intersection of Rim Run and Lower FIS. The highlights of that day- After the first racer went by there was no one for a long time. Also watching a couple of skiers go by on X-C gear. Fish Scales whining as they passed me. Now that is an X-Stream sport! JC