Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

In the woods, searchin for the perfect airplane turn
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Thank you!
    I will not comment on the snowmaking until I see the results. You all know how I feel about the current operation. I hope to be plesently surprised.

Brew.... " I'm not telling" about new areas cleared. Please..... like its not obvious.

Also watchout for the piano wire I strung up at neck height. That might might put a cramp in your style. lol JK

The mountain this summer has been alive and it looks to carry over straight into winter. I have to say I love the direction that the managment has taken us over the last 10 years. I wish them luck in the future.
    You can tune a piano but you can't tuna fish...

Hawk, I know that in your travels around the mountain on bike you will see much of what has been done, so you didn't count. But did you notice if the stumps are getting cut flush? Seems like some along the trail edge are still sticking up around 6-10" which is worrisome, especially for early season.

I have not found my way into Slidebrook this summer for hikes. Has anyone been in there to see if Mountain ops cleaned out the three sanctioned bands? Did they make it all the way down to the cat track/run out?

What I'm trying to figure out is why they keep investing so much money in snowmaking if their system is as good as many people here keep insisting. We already open as early as those noted high elevation resorts in NH Loon and Attitash - what a waste!

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman View Post
    What I'm trying to figure out is why they keep investing so much money in snowmaking if their system is as good as many people here keep insisting. We already open as early as those noted high elevation resorts in NH Loon and Attitash - what a waste!
    You kidding right? This is sarcasm right?????
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

You kidding right? This is sarcasm right?????
    Indeed.

We are simpatico re: snowmaking.

Indeed.

We are simpatico re: snowmaking.
    Yeah yeah we haven't had a good snowmaking thread in awhile. What's the deal with these new towers?

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    Yeah yeah we haven't had a good snowmaking thread in awhile. What's the deal with these new towers?
    Sounds like they are even more efficient than the ones already in place on Ripcord etc... Just as interesting to me is the rebuild of the compressors. These two investments combined likely address some of the more visible bottlenecks in the system.

It's interesting that they have consistently foregone the opportunity to install fan guns. Obviously a lot of info we aren't privy to, so I trust them to make the right decisions when it's their nickel. Sounds like these new towers aren't too far off in terms of efficiency.

Of course the proof will be in the pudding when November/December rolls around. If they can make snow on more than one line on each mtn at any given time, then I'll be impressed. Until then, it's little more than window dressing.

Sounds like they are even more efficient than the ones already in place on Ripcord etc... Just as interesting to me is the rebuild of the compressors. These two investments combined likely address some of the more visible bottlenecks in the system.

It's interesting that they have consistently foregone the opportunity to install fan guns. Obviously a lot of info we aren't privy to, so I trust them to make the right decisions when it's their nickel. Sounds like these new towers aren't too far off in terms of efficiency.

Of course the proof will be in the pudding when November/December rolls around. If they can make snow on more than one line on each mtn at any given time, then I'll be impressed. Until then, it's little more than window dressing.
    Mmmm pudding! Can't wait for this awful month to end.
    They're spending the money so there must be a reason they've chosen to go in this direction as opposed to the fan guns. Would love to know who the manufacturer is and what makes them so efficient.

Rebuilding compressors is a maintenance item that needs to be done. It is more for reliability. I wouldn't think that it boosts capacity that much unless they were in real bad shape or we were running in the past with less than full capacity meaning if we had 3 compressors and one or two were down. I do not know what they did so this is speculation. The other problem with our aging system is the loss of air within the network of piping up on the hill. I am sure maintenance spends a good deal of time chasing down air leaks and fixing them but you never get them all. Every time you hear a hissing noise from the side of the trail you will understand what I am saying. Maybe these new guns with their diminished air requirements helps the problem .

Again we will see. If they can blow a trail and cover it in 2 days with temps in the mid to low twenties then they will be at a level equal to other good snowmaking ski areas.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Interesting link about snowmaking guns

I was curious about the new snow guns and did a quick web search to see who makes them.

I found that there's a company in Natick, MA of all places. They have a web page: www.snowgun.com
    I don't know if Sugarbush is buying equipment from these guys, but the site gives an idea as to what they might have bought.

By the way, they have a backyard snowmaker if you want to cover your backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by ManyTurns View Post
    I was curious about the new snow guns and did a quick web search to see who makes them.

I found that there's a company in Natick, MA of all places. They have a web page: www.snowgun.com
    I don't know if Sugarbush is buying equipment from these guys, but the site gives an idea as to what they might have bought.

By the way, they have a backyard snowmaker if you want to cover your backyard.
    Sugarbush IS my backyard. ; }

Rebuilding compressors is a maintenance item that needs to be done. It is more for reliability. I wouldn't think that it boosts capacity that much unless they were in real bad shape or we were running in the past with less than full capacity meaning if we had 3 compressors and one or two were down. I do not know what they did so this is speculation. The other problem with our aging system is the loss of air within the network of piping up on the hill. I am sure maintenance spends a good deal of time chasing down air leaks and fixing them but you never get them all. Every time you hear a hissing noise from the side of the trail you will understand what I am saying. Maybe these new guns with their diminished air requirements helps the problem .

Again we will see. If they can blow a trail and cover it in 2 days with temps in the mid to low twenties then they will be at a level equal to other good snowmaking ski areas.
    Agreed. I guess I had assumed that there would be more than just maintenance benefit to rebuilding the compressors. Machines tend to not work as efficiently as designed over time. Then there is the possible reduction in outages you referenced.

As for the pipe, can't really help that much given the "quality" of the pipe ASC installed. Sounds like they tackled some of those spots as well based on Win's comments in the AZ challenge this year.

As you note, it only matters to the extent we see material improvements in output or coverage in sub-optimal temps.