Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm looking into it guys. Sorry about that.

The forum software upgrade was to improve the spam blocking process so users could self-register. On SKiMRV previously, everyone had to send an email to the admin requesting their account be activated. The issue with that was no noe bothered to od that and thus there were no new members.

I did put in spam questions here, the same ones we have on ALpinezone. An issue is that we are getting targeted by actual people - not robots - who are paid cents to post spam on forums. There's no real easy way to block it but I will revisit everything we have in place. In the meantime, please mod alert all spam you see so I can delete it and ban those users / block those IP's.

Thanks - Nick
    Welcome to SkiMRV!

I banned a whole slew of offending IP addresses. Many of them came from the same IP. Hopefully that cuts it down, there will probably be more, but that should dent it, I hope.
    Welcome to SkiMRV!

Don't quote me, because I am not totally certain, but I am pretty sure that the pond was dug to the original permit depth years ago. The fix will restore it to the permitted depth and volume. The myth of the shallow pond needs to go away, if this is right.

John

John, I am not sure what you are saying about the pond depth and the myth. The discussion I had was that the pond was originally made to a certain volume. Over time and since the last time they fixed the pond, silt, debris, etc. has accumulated and reduced the volume. This is not uncommon with any retaining pond. All I was saying was that this event will allow them to restore it to the original size. Am I wrong and they fixed this recently? or are you saying that the pond did not decreased in volume over the years?

Just curious. It's all good. I am just happy that they still have a pond.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by atkinson View Post
    Don't quote me, because I am not totally certain, but I am pretty sure that the pond was dug to the original permit depth years ago. The fix will restore it to the permitted depth and volume. The myth of the shallow pond needs to go away, if this is right.

John
    oh, sorry, you said not to quote you. Hope you're doing OK. while we are on myths, can you dispel the notion that there is a sea monster a la "Nessie" lurking in the pond (not to mention the often floated "Moose" on the mountain).

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    John, I am not sure what you are saying about the pond depth and the myth. The discussion I had was that the pond was originally made to a certain volume. Over time and since the last time they fixed the pond, silt, debris, etc. has accumulated and reduced the volume. This is not uncommon with any retaining pond. All I was saying was that this event will allow them to restore it to the original size. Am I wrong and they fixed this recently? or are you saying that the pond did not decreased in volume over the years?

Just curious. It's all good. I am just happy that they still have a pond.
    I think what John is referring to is the notion that when the pond was originally built, it was not dug out to the full permitted depth.

Quote Originally Posted by atkinson View Post

John
    Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    I think what John is referring to is the notion that when the pond was originally built, it was not dug out to the full permitted depth.
    I think everyone is correct here. IIRC, ASC did not dig the pond out to the originally permitted depth and Win mentioned here and elsewhere that reaching the permitted volume was one of the upgrades they had invested in early in the SV tenure. If there's been some subsequent silting and loss of holding capacity, digging the pond back out to the permitted depth would be an improvement. Maybe I have the timeline/facts wrong though.

In the woods, searchin for the perfect airplane turn
    Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    oh, sorry, you said not to quote you. Hope you're doing OK. while we are on myths, can you dispel the notion that there is a sea monster a la "Nessie" lurking in the pond (not to mention the often floated "Moose" on the mountain).
    If by Sea Monster you mean a few big and rather ill-tempered beavers, then yes. I've had them floating just off shore and start slapping their tails in fury on the water surface as the dogs and I walked past. I thought I heard a derogatory slur about my small incisors too, but it was hard to pick out with all the noise of the tail slapping the water and the dogs barking back.

Tin and Howie got it right. I am pretty sure the pond was the "correct" depth before Irene. Siltation happens, but I don't think it was a huge factor until the river actually flowed into the pond recently.

The piles of trees, gravel and dirt that has come out of the pond is enormous. Definitely check it out, if you are in town soon.

John

pond fixed

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/201...dy-for-winter/

Warren, VT -Two months after the floodwaters from Tropical Storm Irene damaged the primary snowmaking pond at Sugarbush Resort, the pond is repaired and ready for winter operations. The Vermont ski and snowboard resort spent roughly $800,000 on the repair and rebuild effort.

The storm waters breached the south wall on the intake side of the pond and deposited debris into the pond, which acted as a sediment basin for debris carried down river during the flood. The breached south wall has since been rebuilt with increased strength. Other repairs included reinstallation of electrical lines and poles that were felled during the storm.

Because of the water table we can't dig any deeper. Think about building sand castles in wet sand. You sloop up the sand and the water just fills in the hole you dug. That's what happens once you get below the gravel bottom of the pond. We do have some mroe water in the pond post-Irene because over the past thirteen years material had accumulated in the pond from the few times times the river overflowed into the pond. Now we are back to the original capacity of approximately 25 million gallons of water. We are permitted to withdraw from the Mad River after November 1st whenever the river flow is at a specified level, so that gives us the water we need at Lincoln Peak.