Best Video Camera options

After shooting some pretty crappy video with my Blackberry, I am ready to make the investment into some kind of helmet mounted device (even though I don't wear a helmet)

I would love to hear the pros/cons on all the equipment out there and which camera I should "focus On" (I've been reading about the CONTOUR) One thing I don't quite get - when you have a camera mounted on your head - how do you know what you are actually shooting without seeing a view finder? Does it basically just work - by what ever you are looking at will be in the view? What about shooting in the distance?

Don't worry, it's easy to shoot lots of crappy video with any camera, as I can personally attest.

The Contour was easy to figure out the basic positioning and video resolutions. Shoot Tall HD setting to help with vertical alignment. I have the waterproof/ shockproof case too, well worth the $30-40.

The next generation is supposed to have bluetooth capability, so you can control it with your phone. That's pretty amazing technology, if it works well. I have the exposure setting at +2, because I tend to shoot in the woods, summer and winter.

Distance resolution is very limited with today's affordable helmet cams. The focus is essentially fixed to a certain distance, relatively short, because they are meant to capture close-up action.

John

At the Adventure Gear Shop in Gatehouse we have sold the GoPro cameras the past 2 years. About a month ago we started carrying both the Contour HD and the Contour HD with GPS. Feel free to stop in and check them put. The goggle strap mount seems to be a popular choice but they also have hardware for a variety of ways and places to mount them.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Funny I'm seeing this thread today, as I saw not just one, but two handheld video cameras today... about the size of them ole' 8mm ones.

I still remember when my grandparents got their first video camera in the 1980s.... it was the size of a TV camera and held a full size VHS tape, and sat on your shoulder. Its truly amazing how far technology has come since then!

This past Jan I compared the leading models side by side

Contour, GoPro, etc.
    Clear winner was Drift's HD 170 Stealth.
    Most important to me was picture quality, lens, portability and ease of use. Secondary factors considered were comparative feature sets, ability to adjust settings and the options included in the box (eg mounting hardware). Very pleased with the output/results.
    This newer Drift model was released mid-Jan 2011. Even has a remote to trigger the camera recoding on and off.
    You can optionally search YouTube and Vimeo for other's side by side comparisons of the various leading product's actual video.
    No mountain too steep
    No powder too deep

(well, not exactly)

Re: This past Jan I compared the leading models side by side

Quote Originally Posted by boze
    Contour, GoPro, etc.
    Clear winner was Drift's HD 170 Stealth.
    Most important to me was picture quality, lens, portability and ease of use. Secondary factors considered were comparative feature sets, ability to adjust settings and the options included in the box (eg mounting hardware). Very pleased with the output/results.
    This newer Drift model was released mid-Jan 2011. Even has a remote to trigger the camera recoding on and off.
    You can optionally search YouTube and Vimeo for other's side by side comparisons of the various leading product's actual video.
    Haven't done the comparison but the Drift HD is excellent. The picture quality blows away what I've seen from others. waterproof too. Highly recommend it.
    Here's a link to my first test video with it. Needs editing I know, but you can see the picture quality is excellent.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4TvnNxe-Nc

I have always wanted to buy one but in the end it is just another expensive toy I don't really need. I think I will wait until the market is saturated with new products and the cost comes down to $150 or so for a good one. It is bound to happen just like external dirves did the last coupe of years.

Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!