Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Re: Mount Ellen Closing early.

I understand that there is a drop off in traffic, but I think that this is a self-fulfilling prophecy because (1) there is little advertising for ME; (2) there at until recently least has been too much focus in snow reports and marketing on only one side; (3) folks just don't know about it.

From where I sit ME is a real asset and offers potential for some good profits/revenues because it is a big mountain, has great lifts, great terrain to handle crowds and great snowmaking infrastructure, and only has one lodge/base facility to operate and maintain. Less staff is need to run it. A real great set up, especially considering what work was done there in the early 1990's. Does it have Castlerock? No. But it is much better set up to handle crowds and can be easily operated with less staff and even less lifts if needed.

So yeah I am biased. I really like Mount Ellen a lot and choose to ski there. But I think that it can really be a great product/option and Sugarbush has done a better job targeting it to a great market (local families and skiers). Just keep it up and take it to the next level...why not $40 lift tickets on weekdays? Why not give it a separate web page? It is something that can work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2
    Quote Originally Posted by Xskier
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk
    I had a great orthopedic Doctor that has done many a famous knee. He came in first day and ask what my goals were. I told him I wanted to ski at the same level and he said there is no reason that I couldn't if I worked hard. A good PT guy and hard work are crutial. I also skied at 75% the first 1/2 year after to be safe. All in all the knee is solid and I only have a few aches on cold rainy days.
    Any recommendations for a good knee replacement doctor that will replace with a knee that is geared towards skiing? I am sick of being on the sidelines for 9 years now and really want to ski again. I've been told I am too young, was 34 at the time and now 43. Potentially need a double knee replacement or at the very least 1 knee replaced and 1 knee totally reconstructed. I am tired of being bitter person in the winter.
    seriously?

I'm having a sale on a used 43 year old knee. If you're interested I can show you my MRI come monday.
    I'll take it. I was bone on bone at age 34. They did an HTO on my left knee (cut tibia 90% of the way thru and pry it open 6 degrees, this puts my weight on the outside where i still have some cartilage left, insert plate with spacer and 4 2" lag bolts and artificial bone so the new pie shaped space will fill in with real bone), I have no PCL (they typically won't repair this unless you are really young), partially torn MCL and ACL and no cartilage at all in my knee cap. When i had my HTO surgery, during double knee surgery, they discovered this on both knees and did a patela debridement (poked holes in the knee cap so it would bleed and that creates a pseudo cartilage) which made things a lot worse. Oh and this is my good knee, but I am on borrowed time before it needs to be replaced. 9 years ago they said i had 5-8 years before knee replacement. I could barely walk for years so I am happy with just biking but i want to ski again. how much for your knee?
    Sorry to hear about your knee. It sucks, trust me, but you will be back out there next year. Good luck with the surgery and recovery.

Re: Nearby in RutVegas

Quote Originally Posted by castlerock
    Any recommendations for a good knee replacement doctor that will replace with a knee that is geared towards skiing? I am sick of being on the sidelines for 9 years now and really want to ski again. I've been told I am too young, was 34 at the time and now 43. Potentially need a double knee replacement or at the very least 1 knee replaced and 1 knee totally reconstructed. I am tired of being bitter person in the winter.
    http://www.isporttraining.com/
    Would you recommend these guys vs say going into Boston? I would think the best doctors are in Boston but maybe the docs based in VT are more geared towards Skiers. I had some really bad docs through my whole ordeal. Thanks!!

Re: Nearby in RutVegas

Quote Originally Posted by castlerock
    http://www.isporttraining.com/
    Would you recommend these guys vs say going into Boston? I would think the best doctors are in Boston but maybe the docs based in VT are more geared towards Skiers. I had some really bad docs through my whole ordeal. Thanks!!
    These folks come recommended by a local weekender, a medical professional, who lives in (greater) Boston, and travels to Rutland for care. According to him, Pro athletes, including Euro premier league types visit this clinic. Big time sports centric approach. This guy is a physical nut and a perfectionist, he wouldn't settle for second rate anything.

I will definitely check them out. I would like to ski and hike again. Thanks again for the info!!

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2
    From a family perspective, the kids spring sports pick up in April so that may be why.
    That is why our ski season is ending. Soccer and lacrosse games for the kids start in April.

You guys are missing the point. Mt. Ellen isn't closed.

You can rent out the whole resort for 1800.00 a day.
    I'm from Vermont and I ski where I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Tracks

Yeah, that is a bit much.

Skinning is always an option.

Unfortunately, history shows that the total demand for skiing in the month of April is not more than one good midwinter Saturday. Price does not drive demand this time of year. That said, I want to keep LP going and we have a lot of good skiing left.

Quote Originally Posted by summitchallenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Tracks

Yeah, that is a bit much.

Skinning is always an option.
    its actually less than 100.00/ person if you have a full group and the reality is that your not really welcome skining at Mt. Ellen.

MRG - skin it, you can!
    I'm from Vermont and I ski where I want.

Here's the word:

LP will operate, daily through April 24 and then as that date draws closer, a determination will be made regarding the ongoing operation schedule.
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce