Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roxbury Gap

Better than many

Roxbury Mtn Rd is OK - frozen. Most is smoothed out. Some has frozen ruts - ride the ridges.
    Watch out if we get any snow as it could hides some ruts. But unless you have low clearance
    or are inattentive, that approach is fine for this weekend.

Roxbury Mtn Rd condition?

Any recent experience?

Yes, how's the gap drive these days?

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkSno
    Yes, how's the gap drive these days?
    As a general rule if it is warm, say 40+ for more than a day then you stand a fair chance of it being challenging until all of the frost is out of the ground. If it rains then the same applies. If you are heading over and it has been in the 30's or lower and below freezing at night then you are probably good. That being said, I have not heard of any horror stories except for a few weeks ago when they closed it for a couple of days.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Used the gap saturday afternoon. It was in decent shape for this time of year. The normal problem spots had some ruts, that might be problematic for the lowest of sports cars, but most everyone would be fine.

How about paving that road?? Seems to me - the amount of traffic that travels the road, it is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by djd66
    How about paving that road?? Seems to me - the amount of traffic that travels the road, it is needed.
    You buying? The town of Roxbury doesn't lack for projects to put it's tax revenue to use on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrdstrt
    Quote Originally Posted by djd66
    You buying? The town of Roxbury doesn't lack for projects to put it's tax revenue to use on.
    Actually I am buying,... i pay a sh*% load in property taxes, and consume very little services. I wouldn't expect the town to pay for it, i think the state should be kicking in to pay for that road - as that is who take most of my money. If I had to drive that road on a regular basis (like the people that live in Northfield and work in the MRV), I would be PO'd

what's the big deal?

Driving the gap during ski season is always interesting, but you save 15-20 minutes as compared to other routes into the valley? I don't really see it as a major issue that I have to choose one of the other routes back to 89 for the later part of the season Seriously, what's the big deal? Time for 1 beer Friday night or having to tivo the first fifteen minutes of your favorite Sunday night show?

Paving the Gap would ruin it. The state needs it's dough for single payer health care

It's not a state road or highway. Why would the state want to pay for it? Hell they can't even keep up with Rt. 100 between Warren and Waitsfield. That is one of the toughest sections on a road bike anywere. I would love to see them fix that first. As for the Towns paving it, I would think that Warren would do more before Roxbury. I am sure that Roxbury does not have that big a tax base. Nope, I wouldn't expect anything to be done any time soon.

I actually use the gap every time and except for a couple of times a year it is very good. I drive an Outback and have no probblems.

Many times our gravel roads are in better shape than the paved roads. I would fear for my life if Fayston ever paved Center Fayston or Kew Vasseur. When we have freezing you-know-what, I avoid the paved portion of Bragg Hill, looping around Glen View instead.
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

Thanks for all the helpful info. I don't really think the gap needs to be paved. It's kinda fun seeing all the BMW's and Audi's with MA plates driving at 2 miles an hour when I pass them in my truck.

Thanks for all the helpful info. I don't really think the gap needs to be paved. It's kinda fun seeing all the BMW's and Audi's with MA plates driving at 2 miles an hour when I pass them in my truck.
    9 of us from MA in our house & not a Beemer or Quatro amongst us. Plenty of Dynastars though.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Quote Originally Posted by gostan
    Thanks for all the helpful info. I don't really think the gap needs to be paved. It's kinda fun seeing all the BMW's and Audi's with New York and New Jersey plates driving at 2 miles an hour when I pass them in my truck.
    9 of us from MA in our house & not a Beemer or Quatro amongst us. Plenty of Dynastars though.
    I fixed it for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by gostan
    Thanks for all the helpful info. I don't really think the gap needs to be paved. It's kinda fun seeing all the BMW's and Audi's with New York and New Jersey plates driving at 2 miles an hour when I pass them in my truck.
    I fixed it for ya.
    Cruise over the Gap every weekend in a freekin' mini-van. Mud season aside, the road just isn't as bad as its rep. Or maybe it's the Mass plates?