Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Roxbury Gap

Good one YS! I am with you.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

I cruise over regularly too,... and don't have any trouble. It does beat the sh*& out of my vehicle though. In my opinion - the amount of traffic that uses that road - why wouldn't they pave it? Same thing with Lover's Lane - its freaking ridiculous. In the summer time, both road turn into dust bowls - if I lived on either road, I would not be too happy about that. I personally know a Northfield resident that ruined her car because of the condition of the road,... and I'm sure there are plenty more.

Quote Originally Posted by djd66
    I cruise over regularly too,... and don't have any trouble. It does beat the sh*& out of my vehicle though. In my opinion - the amount of traffic that uses that road - why wouldn't they pave it? Same thing with Lover's Lane - its freaking ridiculous. In the summer time, both road turn into dust bowls - if I lived on either road, I would not be too happy about that. I personally know a Northfield resident that ruined her car because of the condition of the road,... and I'm sure there are plenty more.
    It all comes down to money. At several thousand dollars a lineal foot now a days to rework the base, add new material and pave with 6" of asphalt it is not a cheap proposition. Add that the state has now cut way subsidies to the towns that already have a challege to meeet thier budgets. Again I say don't expect anything soon.

Holy Roller

I am not sure how many days this will last but the Roxbury Gap (and Ctr Fayston, so I am sure many back roads) have developed HUGE frost heaves, and I mean as in launching pads. It's not that the mud is horrible, albeit it's definitely there, the "speedbumps" are impressive.
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

Yes. They are huge and near the field with the horses on the Bottom of the Roxbury side, the mud is very challenging. Saw a suburu stuck there yesterday. It is passable but you want an SUV.

Bragg Hill Road has had a pretty epic pothole near Knoll Farm for about the last two months. It's mellowed a lot but I still drive with caution in that area. Hopefully mellow temps and frequent pounding by cars will smooth it out.

Also, for about the last month or so the deer were very active in the fields which made for some pretty exciting late night driving. I assume that they've moved on since those fields were some of the first places that the snow melted. My guess is that they can find grass in a more secluded setting farther from my headlights.

Gap is Closed Again

Just got words from the folks on the hill that Roxbury Gap is closed today/tonight. Not sure when she will reopen, so plan an alternate route if you are coming up!

Any word on the road?

It was closed on Thursday night when we came up. Can't say what it is like now.

Gap was reopened Tuesday, but reports are it's still very soupy.

Bummer. I thought it was closed for paving and the addition of passing lanes.....

The Warren Selectboard meeting a couple of weeks ago the town's summer paving projects were disscussed. Course, the Access Rd was top of the adgenda but they did discuss some paving on the Roxbury Gap Rd. The dirt sections on the Warren side are alot shorter than the Roxbury side.

It doesn't seem that paving any parts of the Roxbury side is a big priority for them. If you have a proper vehicle it's only an issue a few weeks a year. Many MRV employees communte over it every day. It is what it is and they deal with it.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.