Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Lifts?

New Lifts?

What about a couple new lifts? Can't they be a part of the build-out? For 10% of the budget we could have at least 2.

Re: New Lifts?

Quote Originally Posted by Localsmoker
    What about a couple new lifts? Can't they be a part of the build-out? For 10% of the budget we could have at least 2.
    couple? from previous discussions, IIRC, the next to be replaced is the VH double, but Win indicated that was not on the horizon.

I vote for a "bubble" lift to replace HG!

The lifts at SB are fine. You have no idea how good we have it. If they are going to spend money upgrade the snowmaking.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk
    The lifts at SB are fine. You have no idea how good we have it. If they are going to spend money upgrade the snowmaking.
    I think, quietly, they have upgraded the snowmaking. It seems they have made more snow than I recall previously. Sunrise and Moonshine at LP are in much better shape than past seasons.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I think the VH double should be replaced. It's rickety, old, slow and the terminus is an accident waiting to happen. I'm all for nostalgia, but safety comes first. Furthermore, having a legitimate modern triple would add capacity reducing the peak hour load on the super bravo.

Valley House terminus--the most exciting 30 yards in NE skiing!

Not sure why anyone would think the VHD is unsafe - unless you are qualified to make this kind of judgment. If they were to replace it - why not go with some kind of detachable? Yeah, I know people are going to say no way b/c of too much capacity in that area - BUT - there are already a ton of people skiing there via the traverse. why not just make it easier for people to get there directly? I think it would be a great way to take some traffic off of SB. Replacing the lift with another fixed grip with not do much. Presently the line at the VHD is minimal and changing it to some other kind of fixed grip lift is not going to change anything.

I do believe that Village will be the next to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by djd66
    Not sure why anyone would think the VHD is unsafe - unless you are qualified to make this kind of judgment. If they were to replace it - why not go with some kind of detachable? Yeah, I know people are going to say no way b/c of too much capacity in that area - BUT - there are already a ton of people skiing there via the traverse. why not just make it easier for people to get there directly? I think it would be a great way to take some traffic off of SB. Replacing the lift with another fixed grip with not do much. Presently the line at the VHD is minimal and changing it to some other kind of fixed grip lift is not going to change anything.
    I didn't say the lift was unsafe, but getting off the lift and merging onto the traverse is not safe for anyone. I trust they wouldn't run the lift if there was any question of its safety. That being said, it is a mechanical device and it's lifespan is finite. There will come a time when it must be replaced.
    Win has said in the past that, they would not put a detachable lift there, so I think it's safe to assume a faster triple is the most likely replacement.

In the woods, searchin for the perfect airplane turn

Here is an idea...

Take the lift from Castlerock and use it to replace the VHD. This way SB doesn't have to buy a new lift, just move one. Faster and newer and it could reach down to the actual base area. Castlerock gets access from hiking and skinning and becomes the best natural terrain in the east! Sure would limit my competition for the Castlerock Extreme!

Moreover, we don't get questions in the Castlerock lift line like I heard this past weekend of:
    Q:" Is that sign serious? Are there really rocks?"
    A: Yea, dude, that is the only absolute truth in advertising you'll ever see!

Q:"What is the easiest way down for my intermediate 7 year old son?"
    A: Shuffle across that bridge over there and head down the traverse before you injure your son and he loses you as his hero. What kind of father are you?

Q:"Do all the trails have bumps?"
    A: No, just the ones on the trail map.

There are two reasons that the lift line at VH is minimal. For one, the trails are already served by the "sexier" Bravo HSQ. Second, and likely far more important, is that fact that the base terminal is far up the hill from where most skiers actually congregate at the base. If you are coming from the GH side or from CR, there's no way to get up there w/o a hike, and unless you have the foresight to take Coffee Run when you're skiing in the Bravo pod, you're going to have a hike as well. I know that when I'm skiing in a group, we like to discuss what's next at the bottom of the run. I'm sure I'm not alone in that regard. In sum, the hike uphill acts as a big disincentive to ridership for that chair.

Simply bringing the base terminal down to a location adjacent to Bravo would increase ridership substantially. Upgrading to a new, nicely padded fixed grip chair w/o erector set towers would probably help a bit as well - tourists scare easily. Installing a high speed lift is both unnecessary (it's not a long ride to begin with and there isn't a huge need from a traffic perspective) and fiscally unsound.

Tin,

You have the insight! Forget the new lift talk. Just get up here for the POWDER these next few days! Just what we have been waiting for.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman
    There are two reasons that the lift line at VH is minimal. For one, the trails are already served by the "sexier" Bravo HSQ. Second, and likely far more important, is that fact that the base terminal is far up the hill from where most skiers actually congregate at the base. If you are coming from the GH side or from CR, there's no way to get up there w/o a hike, and unless you have the foresight to take Coffee Run when you're skiing in the Bravo pod, you're going to have a hike as well. I know that when I'm skiing in a group, we like to discuss what's next at the bottom of the run. I'm sure I'm not alone in that regard. In sum, the hike uphill acts as a big disincentive to ridership for that chair.

Simply bringing the base terminal down to a location adjacent to Bravo would increase ridership substantially. Upgrading to a new, nicely padded fixed grip chair w/o erector set towers would probably help a bit as well - tourists scare easily. Installing a high speed lift is both unnecessary (it's not a long ride to begin with and there isn't a huge need from a traffic perspective) and fiscally unsound.
    bringing the base next to the bravo, would be ideal, but i think it would entail removing at least a portion of th valley house.

Quote Originally Posted by win
    Tin,

You have the insight! Forget the new lift talk. Just get up here for the POWDER these next few days! Just what we have been waiting for.
    Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2

bringing the base next to the bravo, would be ideal, but i think it would entail removing at least a portion of th valley house.
    No question. And possibly a portion of the mtn ops bldg and/or the Mushroom as well. Not sure how that would work when the existing VH lodge/Mushroom are sorely needed on weekends and holidays. I don't know how that's going to play out in the future. They spent money repainting the VH two summers ago, so it's not going anywhere soon. I would imagine we won't have a clear read on that until they figure out what they're going to do with the next phase of LP Village development. My guess is they were anticipating that the new GH lodge and Timbers would eliminate the needs for VH lodge. That's clearly not the case. Maybe it's different this year with the two new buildings? I haven't been up to VH lodge to check.