1/18 - 1/19 Storm Observations

Looks like the snow has started. It will be interesting to see how much snow we get and how much mixing actually occurs. The forecasts are all over the place. Have a good day up there and let us know the score.

Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Cam (yay!) and radar indicate all snow still. If temp profiles listed on the website are still accurate, it's a promising sign that the atmosphere remains colder in the upper elevations than the base.

I can't believe not one person could post an observation about the snow today. What a bunch of duds.

I guess I will have to take another day off to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk
    I can't believe not one person could post an observation about the snow today. What a bunch of duds.

I guess I will have to take another day off to see.
    And......the verdict is?
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Yesterday, the snow started early and remained mostly all snow, though changed briefly to sleet. I could feel some sleet pelets hitting my face as I made my 4:15pm run down a fun Downspout. Got to the base and it was all snow.

Today, the snow was great, but definitely was more "thicker" than the previous storms, so it'll grab better to the trails. Runs like Murphy's and Organgrinder were A LOT of fun with soft snow and bumps. It was really great... just what we needed!

Thanks Shady. Would you say we got the 7" they said at the top or more?

Quote Originally Posted by shadyjay
    Yesterday, the snow started early and remained mostly all snow, though changed briefly to sleet. I could feel some sleet pelets hitting my face as I made my 4:15pm run down a fun Downspout. Got to the base and it was all snow.

Today, the snow was great, but definitely was more "thicker" than the previous storms, so it'll grab better to the trails. Runs like Murphy's and Organgrinder were A LOT of fun with soft snow and bumps. It was really great... just what we needed!
    SJ, sounds like the weekend is shaping up to be a good one.....some good snow always beats the cold.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Not to rub it in, but today was one of the sweetest pow days. You could eight your own tracks! The snow was buoyant and easy turning with the proper gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk
    Thanks Shady. Would you say we got the 7" they said at the top or more?

7" sounds about right... Ripcord and OG both had nice coats on them. Murphy's seemed very powdery, espec since the report said it was groomed.

Quote Originally Posted by atkinson
    Not to rub it in, but today was one of the sweetest pow days. You could eight your own tracks! The snow was buoyant and easy turning with the proper gear.
    Wow, nice vid. I'm a fan of the super fat single stick myself.

I like how quickly John puts space between himself and the camera. That looks like you are above the little headwall on lift line right? That's pretty amazing. He makes it look like the trail is flat.

We have measurement sticks bottom, mid and top, so you can beleive what we say! In the past, I think we have actually under reported. Our new stakes will "tell it like it is".

Good eye Alex, you nailed the location and understood why I kept that full shot in the video. Egan drops away slyly and before you know it, he's most of the way down. Simply awesome skiing!

Ya'll know we have more weather coming tomorrow, right? 3-6+
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

We know Noski. That's just the next of many observation threads this year.

Quote Originally Posted by noski
    Ya'll know we have more weather coming tomorrow, right? 3-6+
    Hey....... this thread is for observations not predictions. JK