Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2
    this weekend is setting up very nicely. while im not getting my hopes too high for tomorrow, the upslope potential in the storms wake is intriguing.
    are the lifts on regular weekday schedule friday?

Yes things are looking quite nice for the weekend!

Fri - normal operation
    all lifts 9AM, w/p, c/p

Sat-Sun-Mon 8AM start at Bravo/GMX
    All other lifts 9AM (except Slide Brook - 10AM I think)
    w/p, c/p

Quote Originally Posted by atkinson
    The look down was purely for the viewer's benefit. The woods are thin and the snow is hollow, with very little base. Who knows after the next storm?
    I found the woods that are not steep above mid to be better than the marginal open trails , i.e. L. Domino , Moonshine , Mall and Lexi's. Core shot on Lexi's. Didn't hit a thing in the woods.

I found the woods that are not steep above mid to be better than the marginal open trails , i.e. L. Domino , Moonshine , Mall and Lexi's. Core shot on Lexi's. Didn't hit a thing in the woods.
    That's no surprise. The base holds up much better in the woods. It's just more dangerous from the point of view of hitting some unexpected hidden obstruction. Snowboards do a little better from that point of view. You can get over more stuff and you're less likely to break your leg. Also, I think 'tip up' is easier to execute than 'tips up'. Early season, I often like to let others forge a path and clear off all the stumps and horizontal deadfall. Later in the season, I can focus on finding my own tracks.

My guess is that todays snow is better base snow than the snow from the last few days. Any word on that? How was the skiing? Did the wind shut everything down?

Quote Originally Posted by Hardbooter
    That's no surprise. The base holds up much better in the woods. It's just more dangerous from the point of view of hitting some unexpected hidden obstruction. Snowboards do a little better from that point of view. You can get over more stuff and you're less likely to break your leg. Also, I think 'tip up' is easier to execute than 'tips up'. Early season, I often like to let others forge a path and clear off all the stumps and horizontal deadfall. Later in the season, I can focus on finding my own tracks.
    That helps. So does hiking in the woods during the off-season. Helps give you an understanding of what lines are clean and what lines have the snow snakes. Mid-mountain hardwoods at LP and ME, along with upper mountain lower angle stuff at ME is usually your best bet at low tide. Need to be high enough to get the better snow depths but not so high that the steepness requires deeper turns and faster speeds. Also, for some reason the mid-mountain hardwoods tend to have a lot less deadfall than up top.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardbooter
    That helps. So does hiking in the woods during the off-season. Helps give you an understanding of what lines are clean and what lines have the snow snakes. Mid-mountain hardwoods at LP and ME, along with upper mountain lower angle stuff at ME is usually your best bet at low tide. Need to be high enough to get the better snow depths but not so high that the steepness requires deeper turns and faster speeds. Also, for some reason the mid-mountain hardwoods tend to have a lot less deadfall than up top.

Lift will likely turn on Friday, so plan your weekend.