Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

'Twas the weekend before Xmas

and the sking was great.

actually first time this season i was feeling it and not fighting it. what a beautiful day today. fun weekend. didnt get over to mellon, but heard reports that the woods up top were good.

i would assume some time before the holiday, OG will be groomed. that would not be possible without the 8 patrollers who literally hacked the winch cable out of the glacier it was encased in. so thanks in advance.

You clearly skied a different mountain than I did. I thought the skiing was pretty terrible. Somebody call me when there's some snow and interesting terrain open.

Should have been at Mount Ellen on Friday! Blower snow everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by skibum1321
    You clearly skied a different mountain than I did. I thought the skiing was pretty terrible. Somebody call me when there's some snow and interesting terrain open.
    Maybe not open, but this was certainly interesting on Saturday.....

Plenty of untracked there!

[/img]
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

skibum, you definitely went to the wrong place at the wrong time. There was plenty of snow to be had Saturday morning. As you know, I'm as picky as they get when it comes to conditions but they were there for a while.

Sunday was a bit more difficult. You had to earn your turns. :)

Amazing how much expectations and mood impact a ski day. I enjoyed Sat a lot, especially early on Murphy's and Birdland, and had mucho fun on Ripcord and Spills. Later in the day lower Organgrinder's bumps were great, with actual lines and long enough stretches to get me out of breath.

But...expected Sunday to be lousy - skied off, natural trails barren, frozen bumps all over. Well, blue skies, no wind, perfect skiing temperatures and fewer people turned it into a fantastic day. Skier's left on Murphy's and Birdland were just stellar, held up really well, bumps on Ripcord very skiable all day, Jester was a blast and not at all skied off, even Downspout was edgable throughout. Must've done 5 or 6 laps on lower OG, big grins each time.

So, it turned into a great ski day for me, great weekend for that matter. Feel bad for Skibum, but there's gonna be a day or weekend when he thinks its great and I have a crappy time. Way it goes...

As the old saying goes, a bad day on the slopes is better than a good day at work.

Quote Originally Posted by summitchallenger
    As the old saying goes, a bad day on the slopes is better than a good day at work.
    Really? People say that?
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

glad I wasnt the only one.

Not only were the bumps on lower OG great, but once you got past the glacier at the top of OG, it was good also.
    Whatever the conditions may have been, I was enjoying it a lot more than the weekend before. and I was pretty damned happy when I got into the car with the Giants leading big at halftime. Not so happy at the end of the game. and with that I will make my annual plea to have a party in the CRP for the superbowl or at least keep it open.

Skibum just doesn't want anyone else on the mountain.

Here is some video from Saturday, a day in the life of two Sugarbush skiers. Please note the extreme crowds, no snow and total lack of interesting terrain. Eyes on the prize!

John

All valid points - I don't want anyone else on the mountain, I stayed on the open trails and I got there late Sat because I went for a run first when the best skiing of the weekend was to be had. I think I'm just at a point where I get bored skiing trails these days. Lift served laps on trails just don't do it for me anymore. And while I do agree that a bad day on the slopes is better than a good day at work, it's not better than a day on the bike or running in my mind.

All valid points - I don't want anyone else on the mountain, I stayed on the open trails and I got there late Sat because I went for a run first when the best skiing of the weekend was to be had. I think I'm just at a point where I get bored skiing trails these days. Lift served laps on trails just don't do it for me anymore. And while I do agree that a bad day on the slopes is better than a good day at work, it's not better than a day on the bike or running in my mind.
    I just hope that I never get that way. Hell I drove 3 hrs to skied mud, grass and rocks in October this year. I just couldn't wait. Sounds like you need to move out west Skibum.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Debbie Downer - Wahhhhhhhh Wahhhhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Dirt

Debbie Downer - Wahhhhhhhh Wahhhhhhhhh
    Clearly I'm Debbie Downer because I come with the opinion that the skiing really isn't that great right now. Sorry for the dose of reality that not everyone finds joy in mediocre trail skiing...