PDA

View Full Version : Sugarbush on the NYC airwaves

chuck
11-01-2010, 05:26 AM
Watching channel 7 NYC news this morning, weatherman Bill Evans gave Sugarbush a nice plug.

win
11-01-2010, 09:15 AM
Nice. Anybody have a clip? What did he say?

chuck
11-01-2010, 09:56 AM
I was not able to hit the DVR button in time, as I was trying to hit the ignition button on the Tassimo.
What he mentioned was that Sugarbush got a foot of snow so far this year, he was checking out the SB website over the weekend, as he and his family were a ski family, and was looking to make a visit with family.

Hawk
11-01-2010, 10:37 AM
We were talking about SB advertising the other day and were wondering why the Boston Area Market has no coverage? I have not seen one comercial or add in the paper for Sugarbush. I know the NY market is important but I would think that the Boston market should be importaint also. I mean you only have to see that more than a 3rd of the plates in the parking lot are MA to understand there is a good amount of skiers and riders from there.

HowieT2
11-01-2010, 11:14 AM
We were talking about SB advertising the other day and were wondering why the Boston Area Market has no coverage? I have not seen one comercial or add in the paper for Sugarbush. I know the NY market is important but I would think that the Boston market should be importaint also. I mean you only have to see that more than a 3rd of the plates in the parking lot are MA to understand there is a good amount of skiers and riders from there.

Any lack of marketing to the Boston market is not due the resources going to NY instead. We get no love down here.

chuck
11-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Almost none - I wear my SB baseball cap almost year round, along with numerous SB branded t-shirts and a SB branded vest as the weather cools. You'd be surprised how many conversations are struck up about the "Bush", and I can't say as I have ever heard a discouraging word.
Just doing my part to share the love down in the flatlands....

win
11-01-2010, 11:31 AM
We are doing very little traditional media. Electronic is where we think we will get the biggest bang for the buck. That said we have purchased some radio spots in the Boston market during the morning and evening drive hours during the course of the season on 93.5 and 92.7.

Hawk
11-01-2010, 11:53 AM
That explans it. I don't listen to those radio Stations. TV is also very expensive I would imagine. You would be impressed with what Boyne is doing. They must spend a mint based on the amount of comercials.

I try my best to spread the word with my friends but I always get hit with "It's to far" or "I don't like the crowded slopes". I guess perception is key. FWIW - from my house North of Boston it is only 10 minutes longer to the Bush then SR and I have to laugh about the crowd comments. :wink:

I guess I will just keep on educating the uneducated.

slatham
11-01-2010, 12:58 PM
If I recall, I saw Bill Evans at the 'Bush over Easter so maybe he's a valley (part-time) local and being a good citizen decided to plug the local area.

BTW, Killington is opening tomorrow. There's also some chance of an elevation snow event late in the week. I'd like to think Win and team will rethink Nov 20th opening if mother nature provides a gift. :D

gostan
11-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Unfortuanately, Boston skiers and riders seems particualrly predisposed to closeness and crowdedness of the NH & Maine ski areas.

When I mention Sugarbush to Boston friends, their response always seems to be that the 4 hour drive is too long. They have no clue!

It may already be too late, but one marketing idea might be to try something different at the SB booth at the upcoming November Ski show at the World Trade Center in Boston. How about some giveaways for gas vouchers and/or discounted lift tix for skiers and riders, that have to be turned in at the skier services desk at the mountain, along with a preprinted card with directions, including the real driving times from Boston to SB. I know that the discounted lift tix that Okemo gives out at the show for early season skiing and riding always bring new blood to Okemo. Why not Sugarbush?

jwt
11-01-2010, 02:20 PM
I live at the intersection of I495 and I90 - 25 mins from downtown Boston and exactly 3 hours to da 'Bush as long as you don't stop and traffic is moving.

Once I figured out in the very early 80's that an extra 30 minute drive ( compared to K-Mart) meant less or NO waiting and far more natural snow - that is one that Sugarbush needs to hammer home - that lake effect really does add 50-100" over a season compared to NH and other VT southern resorts.

Heck Waterville gets 140" ! You don't have to stretch the truth to say Bush gets 100' more than that on average. A good year brings 300+" we've all experienced that.

Here is where a 3000' web-cam advertised CAN be rather inexpensive and can actually get a cult following.

I know we don't like to stretch the truth. But pretty much everyone else is - and unfortunately, most people read and believe ( because we want to believe)

So maybe a truth-cam with ruler (or Atkinson ripping 6-10" fresh at 7 AM) can be our ace in the hole: " Other resorts say 6-10" - we prove it. Lake effect can be very beneficial to Sugarbush skiers, try us, you'll be writing your old fav-resort a Dear John letter if you do'.

I can't tell you how many times the house ( at 1400') has r**^n and once up on Ellen at the top of NR there is a new foot.

Got to get that in the news, on the ads, and in everyone's head - Sugarbushs' Secret - Lake Champlain. Better Here.

Back to my day job!

Hawk
11-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Sadly I think your right about most Boston Skiers (Not the Hardcore ones). When I tell them about sking a foot of fresh upslope they say "Ya right" and I say "OK, come up and see for your self". I agree about the ski and travel show. Every year I see JJT, JA, JE or whoever is running the booth and say the same thing to them. They nned to give away promotional discounts or something to get people to come. Once they do they will be hooked. Especially the crowd at the ski show. These are vets that are chomping at the bit and looking for bargins. Hell why shouldn't they come to Sugarbush instead of Okemo or K or Stratton. Those guys are always giving away something.

HowieT2
11-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Sadly I think your right about most Boston Skiers (Not the Hardcore ones). When I tell them about sking a foot of fresh upslope they say "Ya right" and I say "OK, come up and see for your self". I agree about the ski and travel show. Every year I see JJT, JA, JE or whoever is running the booth and say the same thing to them. They nned to give away promotional discounts or something to get people to come. Once they do they will be hooked. Especially the crowd at the ski show. These are vets that are chomping at the bit and looking for bargins. Hell why shouldn't they come to Sugarbush instead of Okemo or K or Stratton. Those guys are always giving away something.

at least you Boston folks get an SB presence at the ski show. In NY we get nothing, and at the WM show there is a packed house and the only mountains represented are Gore and Jiminy peak. How much would it cost to come down to NYC for a night (I'm not talking about the Charlie Sheen tour)?
But I agree, that SB and the other northern VT resorts do a poor job of marketing how much more snow they get compared to southern VT. That is a big issue for the NY market. When most new york area skiers think of VT they think of Mt. Snow, Stratton and KMart. These areas get significantly less snow, don't get the Champlain powder and are more inclined to get thaws/r^&*n. I'd bet most NYers would be shocked to learn that SB, Stowe and Jay get average snowfalls comparable to Colorado mtns.

Hawk
11-01-2010, 03:40 PM

at least you Boston folks get an SB presence at the ski show. In NY we get nothing, and at the WM show there is a packed house and the only mountains represented are Gore and Jiminy peak. How much would it cost to come down to NYC for a night (I'm not talking about the Charlie Sheen tour)?
But I agree, that SB and the other northern VT resorts do a poor job of marketing how much more snow they get compared to southern VT. That is a big issue for the NY market. When most new york area skiers think of VT they think of Mt. Snow, Stratton and KMart. These areas get significantly less snow, don't get the Champlain powder and are more inclined to get thaws/r^&*n. I'd bet most NYers would be shocked to learn that SB, Stowe and Jay get average snowfalls comparable to Colorado mtns.

Howie, the Boston Ski and Travel Show is Huge. Pretty much every mountain in the east is represented. Many of the larger resorts out west including British Columbia and Alberta come also and even some from Europe. So it is pretty manditory to come. I am amazed that NYC does not have a similar event.

At any rate, the highlight is walking around to all the ski areas and trying to get something for free. Some are easy and give away 2 for 1's or a 20% discount ticket or maybe a ski and Stay deal. Others have contests like the wheel of forture or a ring toss. Every year I get a free ticket somewhere and usually I will go there just for the hell of it to check it out. If not I give it away. That is what SB needs to start doing in my opinion. GET THEM HOOKED!!!

HowieT2
11-01-2010, 03:52 PM

Howie, the Boston Ski and Travel Show is Huge. Pretty much every mountain in the east is represented. Many of the larger resorts out west including British Columbia and Alberta come also and even some from Europe. So it is pretty manditory to come. I am amazed that NYC does not have a similar event.

At any rate, the highlight is walking around to all the ski areas and trying to get something for free. Some are easy and give away 2 for 1's or a 20% discount ticket or maybe a ski and Stay deal. Others have contests like the wheel of forture or a ring toss. Every year I get a free ticket somewhere and usually I will go there just for the hell of it to check it out. If not I give it away. That is what SB needs to start doing in my opinion. GET THEM HOOKED!!!

'Nothing of the sort here that I know of. sounds great.

Brew Ski
11-01-2010, 05:57 PM
The Boston ski and snow sports expo is huge in the Boston area.

The left coast resorts come packing serious swag. There is a great vibe in the place too. Maybe it is because you can walk around with a beer and win free stuff and schmooze with some great skiers and learn a lot about many resorts. There are some very cool poster size trail maps that ski resorts give out. There are free tickets, and discounts for vacations. Sugarloaf brings in their gold medal winning snow boarder for photos and autographs. Ski Market dumps all previous years equipment for dirt cheap prices. Although since they went out of business, I'm curious as to what will take their place this year.

Sugarbush usually has a good showing. Maybe some more swag and cheap tix as a promo would help get more people excited.

Also, if you are planning on going out West, it is a great opportunity to hook up with a guide, make a connection and get a better deal to ski with someone when you get there, especially if you've never been to that particular resort.

aejkb
11-01-2010, 06:59 PM
I think Win meant 92.5 and 93.7. I would think that marketing towards the occasional skier is an expensive hit or miss proposition. I think that advertising ought to be directed at bringing in families who are the ideal customer for Sugarbush. As kids become old enough parents who can afford it are going to look at skiing as an ideal winter activity. The on going construction is a big plus and the children's programs should be highlighted. Smugglers has done a good job in that regard. Those families that try Sugarbush are going to love it as we all do, but not be concerned about the nightlife. Then they buy passes,etc., rent houses, and bring their friends up. As far as competition goes it's got to be hard for metro NYers to drive past all those southern resorts. Bostonians have an easier choice. NH in two hours or Vt in 3. So in the ads ask them: do you want your kids to be in Vt. and never outgrow the mountain, or in Nude Hampster where they'll have no chance of getting into a top tiered college? (metaphor mixed for effect)

win
11-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Yup. You are right about the radio stations. I don't listen to the radio when driving as I have my ipod.

Don't get your hopes up. We will open 11/20 if we can, but not earlier. We still have a lot of stuff to get ready to make sure it is a great season.

Hawk
11-02-2010, 06:21 AM
The Boston ski and snow sports expo is huge in the Boston area.

The left coast resorts come packing serious swag. There is a great vibe in the place too. Maybe it is because you can walk around with a beer and win free stuff and schmooze with some great skiers and learn a lot about many resorts. There are some very cool poster size trail maps that ski resorts give out. There are free tickets, and discounts for vacations. Sugarloaf brings in their gold medal winning snow boarder for photos and autographs. Ski Market dumps all previous years equipment for dirt cheap prices. Although since they went out of business, I'm curious as to what will take their place this year.

Sugarbush usually has a good showing. Maybe some more swag and cheap tix as a promo would help get more people excited.

Also, if you are planning on going out West, it is a great opportunity to hook up with a guide, make a connection and get a better deal to ski with someone when you get there, especially if you've never been to that particular resort.

The new sponsers are The Boston Globe and Subaru. East Coast Alpine and Eastern Board are the new main retailers that are doing the big sale. Also new location at the Seaport World Trade center. This is awsome as I can walk down there and not have to deal with the traffic in South Boston any more. With JJ gone, who is manning the booth this year?

http://www.bewisports.com/expos/boston/

Sorry for the thread hijack.

atkinson
11-02-2010, 07:17 AM
While JJ carried some heavy loads, he never manned the Boston show alone. We have a huge crew coming down, as usual.

Egan will down on Thursday and Friday, plus the TGR premier on Friday night. The sales and marketing team will be there through out the festivities and I'll be there on Saturday and Sunday. At least we don't have to worry about missing opening day, now that the show is earlier in November. Thanks BEWI.

We hope to see you at the show!

John

win
11-02-2010, 07:25 AM
I will look forward to seeing everyone Friday night in Boston as well.

Hawk
11-02-2010, 08:02 AM
While JJ carried some heavy loads, he never manned the Boston show alone. We have a huge crew coming down, as usual.

Egan will down on Thursday and Friday, plus the TGR premier on Friday night. The sales and marketing team will be there through out the festivities and I'll be there on Saturday and Sunday. At least we don't have to worry about missing opening day, now that the show is earlier in November. Thanks BEWI.

John

John, thanks for the heads up on the TGR Premier. House of Blues will be rockin.
http://www.tetongravity.com/tour/lightthewick/event.aspx?tid=764

I know you guys all come down but was just curious who that was going to be this year. It will be good to see everybody at the show.

HowieT2
11-02-2010, 10:03 AM

John

John, thanks for the heads up on the TGR Premier. House of Blues will be rockin.
http://www.tetongravity.com/tour/lightthewick/event.aspx?tid=764

I know you guys all come down but was just curious who that was going to be this year. It will be good to see everybody at the show.

downloaded a copy from itunes yesterday. can't wait to see it.

atkinson
11-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Tentative roll call, Hawk ...

Jim R.
Jen Y.
Andrea C.
Chris E.
Candice W.
Kristin L.
and Jake!

See you soon!

John

noski
11-02-2010, 01:18 PM

Jim R.
Jen Y.
Andrea C.
Chris E.
Candice W.
Kristin L.
and Jake!

See you soon!

John

I had a great time with the team at last year's show. I am sorry I won't be able to join you again this year!

Hawk
11-03-2010, 06:44 AM

Jim R.
Jen Y.
Andrea C.
Chris E.
Candice W.
Kristin L.
and Jake!

See you soon!

John
Thanks John. Good crew. Hope to see you there if I'm not headed up to Ski. Thursday night definately.