PDA

View Full Version : GPS

Mt St Pipier
10-21-2010, 08:29 AM
I sometimes try to track my vertical for something to do. Had an altimeter watch but the accuracy seemed subpar. I have a Colorado and have MotionX on my phone that I've used for sailing. Seemingly both of these would work fine. What seems really cool are the resortstapped app and the Flaik service other mountains have. Seems like Flaik is run by the mountains, and you rent the units from them. Resortstapped apps may be similar, where the mountain pays to have the app developed. Any one have experience with any of these options?

jwt
10-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Mt,

We had a fellow in our ski house back in '95 who had one of those watches - He tracked it faithfully, every day, every season. To the foot ( as accurate asit allowed). MIT-trained eingineer. Precise.

I've only done it once or twice manually - but all one needs to do is count runs and from/to, pull out the map and total each night. More work, yes, but you get to re-live each run. Most maps even have the elevation at the bottom of Slidebrook - 1100-1300 or so?

What do you average per day?

Mt St Pipier
10-21-2010, 11:06 AM
Yeah, once I realized my el-cheapo watch wasn't accurate, I went back to the old-school method. Problem is you get a few beers in you after skiing, and the numbers get kind of squishy. Before my kids started skiing I'd try to get 20k+ in a day. Now I just try to get in 10 runs before I have to meet the kids for lunch.

HowieT2
10-21-2010, 02:19 PM
I use the MotionX GPS on the phone for biking and ItrailMap3D for skiing. While I did tracking intermittently last season, it would suck too much battery to leave it running all day. The 3D maps are great and saved me from taking an unplanned trip to Jerusalem. they have 3D maps for pretty much every resort. Much more useful than the maps on motionX. Hoping to get more use out it this season with a new phone and better battery.

vonski
10-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Howie, I told you that you would enjoy the trip though! :wink: Hope there is enough snow this winter to do it!

HowieT2
10-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Howie, I told you that you would enjoy the trip though! :wink: Hope there is enough snow this winter to do it!

Oh there was a lot of snow and it was sweet turns going down. not so much fun climbing back up.

Hawk
10-21-2010, 03:19 PM
I have a Garmin E-Trex GPS. I run it all day on both days of the the weekend on one charge of the battery. It tracks everything - position, speed, elevation, etc. At the end of the day I down load and store to hard drive. I have never had an issue with loosing signal and with a single push of a button I can mark a waypoint. Very useful later if you want to remeber a specific entrance. :wink: it is the tool for the job.