PDA

View Full Version : Village Run Trail Question

djd66
10-11-2010, 08:31 AM
Does anyone know why the Village Run trail ends the where it ends? Seems to me there would be a lot of benefit if it were to continue over a bridge and people could ski down to the village and perhaps walk from there,....

Last Tracks
10-11-2010, 10:37 AM
the trail continues across the road, down the hill, past someone's living room window, through the woods, across the condo driveway, through the condo complex, past the pool, through some more woods, across the bridge, up the hill, more woods, and there you are.

Plowboy
10-11-2010, 11:36 AM
the trail continues across the road, down the hill, past someone's living room window, through the woods, across the condo driveway, through the condo complex, past the pool, through some more woods, across the bridge, up the hill, more woods, and there you are.

:lol: You forgot the stop at Mountainside for a tune after sking across the first road.

chuck
10-11-2010, 07:38 PM
would'nt have to if you would quit plowing it! Although stopping in to see Brook and crew is always great.

Hawk
10-12-2010, 06:49 AM
I was told that the original plan was to have a lift over there that would connect the village but further developement was stopped because of environmental concerns. I believe it was black bear habitat. They installed all the infrastructure for a larger developement but that is where it ended.

djd66
10-12-2010, 10:19 AM
With all the people it could benefit, a bridge over the road would have made a lot of sense. I've never skied that trail,... just driven by it a bunch of times and always think what a shame it is that you can't ski to the base.

shadyjay
10-12-2010, 10:25 AM
I'm guessing the trail DID go to the base, but when the development of condos and private homes continued further up onto Village Road, it was decided not to bridge/tunnel the trail. It's a shame as I'm sure it would get some traffic. When you look at upper mountain developments at places like Killington and Okemo, their access roads cut right across trails, and the trail either has a tunnel or a bridge.

It would be really nice for me if VR was maintained past Village Road, right down to Lower Village Run (aka Out To Lunch) as VR goes right through my backyard. Though I have no desire to take the upper section again - that traverse is a workout on skis, nevermind a snowboard. Picture Reverse Traverse, but 5 times longer.

ski_resort_observer
10-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Chez Henri and other parts of SV are over 50 years old, just like the resort itself. Village Run was designed as ski off, get folks back to SV not as a way to ski on. As others have mentioned if there is ample snow there are two routes down from where it ends. Both end up at the parking lot of Mountainside, cross the little bridge then ski down Out to Lunch to basically the top of the SV parking lot then down to the village double and then over. People in lower parts of SV like Center Village or Village Gate just walk over and thru the SV covered bridge to get to the same area as people coming down Out To Lunch. Personally, I would just use the lodging shuttle to get over to LP. :D

Hardbooter
10-13-2010, 11:43 AM
That trail is a good example of a trail designed by real estate developers and not skiers. It's basically a scam to sell real estate. The trail so flat as to be barely skiable. You can skate in either direction with about equal effort. The last section that goes down through the houses is basically a normal trail and it's groomed most of the time. In order to make the trail workable there would need to be a traverse from up on Sunrise and it would still be a long haul. I wouldn't want to see the mountain spend money for a bridge over the road considering how useless the trail is. It's also pretty easy to walk across the road and get back on your skies on the other side. The folks in those condos are used to people skiing around the condos to get down to Out to Lunch.

If you want to warm up on a cold day try skating out village run, then down, hike across the road, ski and skate through the condos and sugarbush village and then hike past the beginner slope back to gatehouse. You'll be dripping withe sweat by the time you get back in the lift line.

Hawk
10-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Yup. No need to go over there.....ever. Much to flat for you snow boarders. :)

Hardbooter
10-13-2010, 02:15 PM
Well, it's easier than taking a plane to Miami, if you know what I mean.

Yard Sale
10-13-2010, 03:36 PM
The traverse is flat and a bit long, but when I have rented in the village I have still prefered it to taking the shuttle home.

Hawk
10-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Well, it's easier than taking a plane to Miami, if you know what I mean.
I do :wink:

vonski
10-13-2010, 04:03 PM
I personally like the higher traverse of North Lynx that leads into the trail! :wink:

djd66
10-14-2010, 08:08 AM
That trail is a good example of a trail designed by real estate developers and not skiers. It's basically a scam to sell real estate. The trail so flat as to be barely skiable. You can skate in either direction with about equal effort. The last section that goes down through the houses is basically a normal trail and it's groomed most of the time. In order to make the trail workable there would need to be a traverse from up on Sunrise and it would still be a long haul. I wouldn't want to see the mountain spend money for a bridge over the road considering how useless the trail is. It's also pretty easy to walk across the road and get back on your skies on the other side. The folks in those condos are used to people skiing around the condos to get down to Out to Lunch.

If you want to warm up on a cold day try skating out village run, then down, hike across the road, ski and skate through the condos and sugarbush village and then hike past the beginner slope back to gatehouse. You'll be dripping withe sweat by the time you get back in the lift line.

I wasn't suggesting that the mountain spend money on this,... just kind of curious why the trail ends the way it does. Ski in ski out is very appealing to families. If something ever were to be done to improve access, it would make a lot of sense for the condo owners to fund it as they would be benefitting.

summitchallenger
10-14-2010, 09:32 AM
I wasn't suggesting that the mountain spend money on this,... just kind of curious why the trail ends the way it does. Ski in ski out is very appealing to families. If something ever were to be done to improve access, it would make a lot of sense for the condo owners to fund it as they would be benefitting.

Doubt that would happen....this pedestrian path was a hot issue last winter and delayed the Farmhouse and Schoolhouse projects:

http://www.valleyreporter.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2266&Itemid=59

MorningWoods
10-26-2010, 05:50 PM
I don't get it. I walked that path myself and there is no issue. The improvements are only going to help with the value of those properties. I recently toured some properties for sale, some of those condos are in pretty rough shape to say the least.

vonski
10-26-2010, 07:04 PM
I don't get it. I walked that path myself and there is no issue. The improvements are only going to help with the value of those properties. I recently toured some properties for sale, some of those condos are in pretty rough shape to say the least.

The issue is that it ends at the road. It then is not maintained past the road. Then you have to cross moutainside codos and take the stairs past the ski shop. Or you can hike up the parking lot to the right to get to the trail out to lunch. Believe me, It tends to be a work out first thing in the morning. The shuttle is a much happier method unless your up to the left of the trail then you can catch out to lunch much easier as it would be a long walk to the shuttle stop if you live up on the left side.

The fun part is skiing back, if you know how to go!

Hawk
10-27-2010, 06:25 AM

The issue is that it ends at the road. It then is not maintained past the road. Then you have to cross moutainside codos and take the stairs past the ski shop. Or you can hike up the parking lot to the right to get to the trail out to lunch. Believe me, It tends to be a work out first thing in the morning. The shuttle is a much happier method unless your up to the left of the trail then you can catch out to lunch much easier as it would be a long walk to the shuttle stop if you live up on the left side.

The fun part is skiing back, if you know how to go!

Von you are wrong on both parts. If you know how to go you only have to go across the road at the bottom of the trail and the other is usually snow covered. It's a clear shot and makable with very minor skating. Trust me I live on VR and once there is snow I never take my car or the shuttle. Also the way back is not recommended for anybody. Very dangerous and people get lost all the time.

vonski
10-27-2010, 08:05 AM

The fun part is skiing back, if you know how to go![/quote]

Von you are wrong on both parts. If you know how to go you only have to go across the road at the bottom of the trail and the other is usually snow covered. It's a clear shot and makable with very minor skating. Trust me I live on VR and once there is snow I never take my car or the shuttle. Also the way back is not recommended for anybody. Very dangerous and people get lost all the time.[/quote]

Hawk, once you spill out across the road it is into the parking lot correct unless u are closer to Out to Lunch! On the way back I agree very dangerous. I swear I saw Catamount tracks out there once! :wink: I rented an upper Village Run one year. Still found it easier to grab shuttle up at summit condos.