PDA

View Full Version : What Family Activities Would You Like to See?

gostan
09-23-2010, 08:14 AM
Pretty soon, Jay will be advertising 300 inches of Indoor Snow and Skiing: http://www.onthesnow.com/news/a/12968/jay-peak-launched-on-140-million-in-revitalization-projects#

Seriously, I will say, however, that an indoor ice arena and a 60,000 Sf indoor water park are certainly wonderful alternatives to attract families year round. And, there is no doubt that business plans that promote increased year round activities and cash-flows certainly help to allow for additional capital invetments to make improvements for the main mountain activities of skiing and riding.

HowieT2
09-23-2010, 08:24 AM
Pretty soon, Jay will be advertising 300 inches of Indoor Snow and Skiing: http://www.onthesnow.com/news/a/12968/jay-peak-launched-on-140-million-in-revitalization-projects#

Seriously, I will say, however, that an indoor ice arena and a 60,000 Sf indoor water park are certainly wonderful alternatives to attract families year round. And, there is no doubt that business plans that promote increased year round activities and cash-flows certainly help to allow for additional capital invetments to make improvements for the main mountain activities of skiing and riding.

If you were in the Gatehouse this summer you saw the renderings to rehabilitate the "skatium" in waitsfield. That is obviously much needed as the facility in in its current form is a little scary.
An indoor water park would be awesome. While this summer was warm and dry such that the mad river was available for amusement, there are many times when that isn't a viable option. The Sharc appears due (overdue?) for a refresh, so maybe a waterpark could be incorporated.

djd66
09-23-2010, 08:46 AM

Not to get off topic, but I always thought it would be great if the Sugarbush had a few other "on mountain" activities to do with the family. A little outdoor skating rink would be a great activity - I can't imagine it would be very expensive to build/maintain. What about taking a groomer on the golf course to groom a skate/ski track?

Fourwide
09-23-2010, 09:13 AM
Sledding was once permitted (or at least not prohibited) down lower Racer's Edge after the end of the ski day, maybe until up to 5-6 years ago. I'd imagine that liability issues led to the mountain prohibiting sledding, especially after the base area was reconfigured. I'd think that a safe sledding area could be established on lower Racer's Edge or the lower beginner's slope.

ski_resort_observer
09-23-2010, 09:28 AM
293" would be awesome...thanks noski! I think the Pilots 288" average figure mentioned in another post is abit generous. I think it's between 240"-250". I believe last year the Bush got around 120".

Not to get off topic, but I always thought it would be great if the Sugarbush had a few other "on mountain" activities to do with the family. A little outdoor skating rink would be a great activity - I can't imagine it would be very expensive to build/maintain. What about taking a groomer on the golf course to groom a skate/ski track?

During the ASC era I was a big proponent of having an outdoor skating rink so one winter the Bush decided to give it a shot. In typical ASC fashion they decided to fill one of the tennis courts. It was poorly maintained and IMHO at the time somewhat of an embassassment. It barely made it thru that one one season.

The Bush also for years maintained groomed x-c trails around the golf course. If you see a brochures back then a popular ad photo was two people skiing a track in the field between Southface and the Sugarbush Inn. It worked really well before the Bush built SHARC since the old Sportscenter was across from the Sugarbush Inn with easy access to the golf course.

Fast forward to 2010 we have a casual partnership with Ole's X-C Center at the airport. I realize that having x-c skiing would be convenient but it would hurt Ole's business. It's an awesome facility with beautiful views and only 10 min away.
Working with instead of competing against some valley businesses is a good thing IMHO. That's why we no longer sell hardgoods(ski/boots) at the Bush. We are happy to refer people to the ski shops in the valley.
http://www.olesxc.com/

Tin Woodsman
09-23-2010, 02:23 PM
Good stuff, SRO.

Not sure where they'd put a skating rink in light of the current and future footprint of the LP Village. I'd think you'd want it up at the base so as to focus activity in a core area. If you add sledding at the same time, then you've got something. Maybe there's some space in the area between the LP parking lot, Village Run and the SB Village parking lot, but it's hard to picture. If so, sledding on Village Run right next door could really bring a lot of activity to the base area.

No doubt SHARC needs some love. It's pretty tired.

djd66
09-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Good stuff, SRO.

Not sure where they'd put a skating rink in light of the current and future footprint of the LP Village. I'd think you'd want it up at the base so as to focus activity in a core area. If you add sledding at the same time, then you've got something. Maybe there's some space in the area between the LP parking lot, Village Run and the SB Village parking lot, but it's hard to picture. If so, sledding on Village Run right next door could really bring a lot of activity to the base area.

Agree - it would be tough to fit a skating area in the base area - given the long term plans,... (Or would it??) Alternatively, great spot would be where the BB court is - just above the SHARC. I'm thinking a little shack that sell beverages, a big fire pit,. a little music Stuff like this doesn't cost much, but would make all the with families looking for other things to do.

HowieT2
09-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Good stuff, SRO.

The sb village parking lot would be the perfect spot for it. That thing is a disgrace the way it is now.
I know the ownership problem. That is a big problem.

aejkb
09-23-2010, 08:25 PM
Tubing with kids is very fun.

djd66
09-23-2010, 08:51 PM
Good stuff, SRO.

The sb village parking lot would be the perfect spot for it. That thing is a disgrace the way it is now.

Agree about the location you are talking about,... I am not familiar with the SB Village ownership problem - what is it?

Tin Woodsman
09-23-2010, 11:24 PM
Good stuff, SRO.

Ownership problem and then a parking problem if you take out spots to put in an ice rink, though I guess it's pretty rare that all the bays are full there.

I just don't see it happening until SB and SB Village can bury the hatchet and work together. A rink would be ideal to help knit the two areas together during the ski season, but what about the off-season?

boze
09-24-2010, 01:33 AM
Some other while-we-await-next-ski-season aka Summer time activities:

Alpine slide - Not sure area serviced by Super Bravo can accomodate a slide but maybe Lower Jester (to further utilize the SB lift running for mtn bikers) else possibly in vicinity of Spring Fling, Easy Rider, or even Cat's Meow or Village Run

Paintball - The Out To Lunch / Sugar Forest area would provide some fun terrain, heck I'd even mount a paint ball gun to my mtn bike's handle bars and rip through Lower FIS

Guided nature walks - not really my thing but I recognize others pay for this sort of thing elsewhere

gostan
09-24-2010, 05:31 AM
I do not have access to any type of overall site or Master Plans, but i suspect that if there is no room at the base area , Other nearby locations could be considered. Two logical locations non-base areas are the sugarbush Health Club and the Golf Course. First Phase could be an outdoor skating rink as this investment would not be outrageous. If it is used by guests, and helps to bring new visitors to SB, then it might/could lead to a future new indoor year round ice rink.

And, I know that the outdoor skating rink at Sugarloaf is not located at the mountain base and it gets lots of use by families, children and adults.

Mt St Pipier
09-24-2010, 08:03 AM
Skating rink is at the top of my list. We'd hang out more at the mountain with the kids at the end of the day, which means we'd spend more money on food and drinks too.

summitchallenger
09-24-2010, 09:44 AM
I thought one of the arguments made in this forum was that SB was "too family friendly" and needed to be more focused on singles and "nightspots?"

It has to be one or the other in terms of specializing. I will confess that one of my pet peeves is the family that brings their kids and gear into CR Pub so Mom and Dad can drink beer and they take up the space. The lodge is for families. The bar is for adults. Compromise: leave your stuff at the lodge and go to Timbers. ;)

ahm
09-24-2010, 10:48 AM
SC: In 20 years, those "kids" in the bar will be the current group "paying" for skiing. The sport is all about brining the next generation along. So, let's not get too concerned about having some kids in the bar. Skiing IS a family activity, whether You have kids or not. I don't have kids, but clearly the youth is the future of the sport and it is our job as the current "paying" group to ensure we have the sport around for them. So, if we have them and their stuff in the bar no biggie. It's good for the sport and it's good for the hill! In fact it's usually pretty energizing to talk to a kid and let them tell you about their day on the hill. Bring on the kids!!

summitchallenger
09-24-2010, 10:52 AM
SC: In 20 years, those "kids" in the bar will be the current group "paying" for skiing. The sport is all about brining the next generation along. So, let's not get too concerned about having some kids in the bar. Skiing IS a family activity, whether You have kids or not. I don't have kids, but clearly the youth is the future of the sport and it is our job as the current "paying" group to ensure we have the sport around for them. So, if we have them and their stuff in the bar no biggie. It's good for the sport and it's good for the hill! In fact it's usually pretty energizing to talk to a kid and let them tell you about their day on the hill. Bring on the kids!!

Kids are good, but they should not be in the bar IMHO.

Plus figured that I needed to throw a stick of dynamite to get this slow room active again. :wink:

vonski
09-24-2010, 11:08 AM
Not that there is space for it in gatehouse, but an arcade would have been great for the kids to hang in while the Beer is consumed! I think sledding and skating would be nice with hot chocolate or cider available! I know there was the Mad Rocket sledding last year!

ahm
09-24-2010, 11:12 AM
Kids Activities: Let's bring back some old school kids activities

1. Snow ball fights: The bush could hook up a snow cone machine with JA running it. After a big day on the hill the adventure blazers could start a snow ball huck fest. We could integrate this with snow tubing where you fire snow balls at tubers, then swap positions and continue in the fun.

2. Mt biking on the snow: This was a favorite activity when I was a kid, although we didn't have mt bikes back in the stone age. But it certainly is a lot of fun and makes for some great crashes as the rear wheel swings out as you head down the hill. I am sure we could get a bike company to build tandems and have parent/child comps on gate house. I am sure the insurance company would support this idea

3. Sledding run into the Timbers pool/hot tub: kids love water slides. Why not hook up a slide into the Timbers pool/tub. Red bull could sponsor this. Imagine a bunch of hyped children with red bull taking big air into the pool.

I am sure some of the other "big kids" out there have some excellent ideas on how to entertain todays kids, afterall with fat skis, terrain parks, woods skiing there clearly is not enough activity on the hill to keep the average youngster entertained!

HowieT2
09-24-2010, 11:42 AM
Good stuff, SRO.

Agree about the location you are talking about,... I am not familiar with the SB Village ownership problem - what is it?

Problem is, it is not owned by Sugarbush. Nor does it appear to be owned by an entity interested in investing for the future. One would think making it attractive to walk from the base over to SB Village would be a priority but evidently not enough to repave the parking lot.

Tin Woodsman
09-24-2010, 11:47 AM
I am sure some of the other "big kids" out there have some excellent ideas on how to entertain todays kids, afterall with fat skis, terrain parks, woods skiing there clearly is not enough activity on the hill to keep the average youngster entertained!

I know you're just having fun, but I think the focus of the issue was for after hours activities. If skiing in its current form isn't good enough to keep them occupied, they should be somewhere else.

HowieT2
09-24-2010, 12:08 PM
I thought one of the arguments made in this forum was that SB was "too family friendly" and needed to be more focused on singles and "nightspots?"

It has to be one or the other in terms of specializing. I will confess that one of my pet peeves is the family that brings their kids and gear into CR Pub so Mom and Dad can drink beer and they take up the space. The lodge is for families. The bar is for adults. Compromise: leave your stuff at the lodge and go to Timbers. ;)

I'll confess I am one to meet my kids in the CRP on occasion. First of all, it is the only place with a tv to watch football. Timbers is too nice for me, the tables are too far from the tv and they dont serve wings (especially like the jerk flavor ones in the CRP). I like the bar better than timbers and the tables work better for big groups. So if I, or the wife, can snatch a table while the kids are getting a few last runs, I dont see anything wrong with it. and we may change out of our boots there too. We generally dont hang out for long when it is crowded on a saturday afternoon and sunday we are usually getting on the road. I guess my point is, just because I have kids shouldn't mean I cant hangout for an hour and have some wings and beer. We aren't taking up any more space than anyone else.

It would be great if there was a clubhouse with bar, locker rooms, showers, hot tub, sauna, etc. kind of like a golf club would have. If only it wouldnt have to be as expensive as a golf club membership.

Fourwide
09-24-2010, 01:58 PM
Wonder if a small arcade will be included in the new "Schoolhouse" building? I'm all for the family atmosphere that the mountain projects and encourages, but I really don't think kids belong in either CRP (or in Timbers apres ski).

HowieT2
09-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Wonder if a small arcade will be included in the new "Schoolhouse" building? I'm all for the family atmosphere that the mountain projects and encourages, but I really don't think kids belong in either CRP (or in Timbers apres ski).

Curious-Do you have kids?

Fourwide
09-24-2010, 02:46 PM
Yes, indeed, two. In the interests of full disclosure, they're young adults now but, when they were young(er), we didn't take them to bars. I understand that plenty of others do, and my view may not represent the majority position (although I'm not sure about that) but, to me, a bar is an adult place. That being said, if kids are overrunning CRP, we just head over to Timbers, where there are generally (although not during holiday weekends) far fewer kids.

HowieT2
09-24-2010, 03:11 PM
Yes, indeed, two. In the interests of full disclosure, they're young adults now but, when they were young(er), we didn't take them to bars. I understand that plenty of others do, and my view may not represent the majority position (although I'm not sure about that) but, to me, a bar is an adult place. That being said, if kids are overrunning CRP, we just head over to Timbers, where there are generally (although not during holiday weekends) far fewer kids.

Regarding your decision not to take the kids to "bars", was that because as a parent, you didn't feel it was right for them as children, or out of consideration for other adults in the bar?
My wife and I have no issue vis a vis the kids moral development taking them to a bar that serves food. I don't think many people do especially since most, if not all, including the CRP, have kids menus. and how is Timbers not a "bar"? or for that matter all the other restaurants that serve alcohol? Frankly, I don't believe in shielding my children from normal adult activities, like having a beer after a day of skiing.
As far as being considerate to other adults, we don't take the kids in there if its crowded. sometimes we'll be there and it will get crowded, so we leave. But I dont see how there is anything wrong with having the kids in there at 3-4 in the afternoon.

Fourwide
09-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Whether my concern is attributable to exposing minors to an inappropriate situation or, instead, being inconsiderate to the adults, may well merely present two sides of the same coin. I do view it a bit disconcerting to be halfway down my second Old Trail while some mom is breat-feeding or changing a diaper a couple tables away (certainly an extreme example, but I've seen both!). I would also argue that, generally speaking, adults in a bar setting are perhaps a bit more, ah, relaxed, than when drinking at home or at a restaurant--I wouldn't expect to hear too many random "f-bombs" while seated at Timbers. It's just a bit rougher atmosphere. To be clear, we wouldn't have taken them into Timbers apres-ski either--I was merely stating that we're now not terribly inconvenienced by all the kids in CRP apres-ski, as we can duck out to Timbers (with of without our children, who are older. However, all that being said, as a practical matter, I think we basically agree, as you don't take your children into CRP during crowded apres-ski.

HowieT2
09-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Whether my concern is attributable to exposing minors to an inappropriate situation or, instead, being inconsiderate to the adults, may well merely present two sides of the same coin. I do view it a bit disconcerting to be halfway down my second Old Trail while some mom is breat-feeding or changing a diaper a couple tables away (certainly an extreme example, but I've seen both!). I would also argue that, generally speaking, adults in a bar setting are perhaps a bit more, ah, relaxed, than when drinking at home or at a restaurant--I wouldn't expect to hear too many random "f-bombs" while seated at Timbers. It's just a bit rougher atmosphere. To be clear, we wouldn't have taken them into Timbers apres-ski either--I was merely stating that we're now not terribly inconvenienced by all the kids in CRP apres-ski, as we can duck out to Timbers (with of without our children, who are older. However, all that being said, as a practical matter, I think we basically agree, as you don't take your children into CRP during crowded apres-ski.

I didn't think we were talking about infants, breast feeding or changing diapers, which I would agree is beyond the pale and rude. My kids are 10 and 14. They can handle hearing an occasional F bomb. Truth be told they may have even heard it once or twice out of my mouth. They certainly hear foul language on tv/movies more than they would at the CRP. I would be naive to think they don't use such language when away at camp.
But yes, when its crowded, we hit the road because we aren't there to drink for a couple of hours.

Fishwife
09-25-2010, 07:26 PM
@4Wide- Are you kidding with the arcade suggestion?!! Isn't that we drive 3-4 hours away from for our kids? As to the kid dilemma @CRP- we sometimes, no- not always(can't afford it), have our 2 kids with us after al ong day on the hill and they are perfectly happy to carouse out in the courtyard or just sit and have a shirley temple. These kids are the next generation of skiers/riders, they are awesome and should feel welcomed anywhere on the mountain at any time!! Aside from that, our family is not likely to make an appearance at CRP before 4:15 p.m., so by that time the place is pretty much cleared out. Just sayin. 8)

Hawk
09-27-2010, 07:04 AM
This debate is interesting to see and the problem is depending on what kind of a parent your are, the answer is different. The mountain is such a huge mixing pot of parental groups and there are many that come to ski that are only mildly interested in the ski part. The Management's job is to cater to all. Now some people must have their kids by their side 24-7. Some don't. Some kids are great in adult situations. Some are not. I do not have kids but have 22 nieces and nephews so I have a great perspective of what makes good kids and bad kids. I can feel for parents that have 2 or 3 they are trying to corral and at the some time have a little fun on their vacation. Well behaved kids are certainly welcome members of the ski community at the CRP. They are the next generation and need to experience the vibe. It is the parent’s job to recognize that their kids are out of hand and control them. This may mean you have to leave then they become a problem.

IMO - The arcade has always been an acceptable diversion for kids for as long as I have been around. At least the kids can walk around and interact with others at the mountain. I think one of the most damaging things in this day and age is the XBox / Playstation and IPod. We (as a generation) are allowing our children to shut out the world and become introverted. They are loosing out on valuable experiences.

chuck
09-27-2010, 07:27 AM
About 35 years ago, when my parents were in the Mushroom having a couple of adult beverages - i was out sledding on cafateria trays down racers edge with tons of other kids, some very fond memories and lasting friendships. Watching my children now play in the drainage pipes put out by the CRP/in front of the Gate house, priceless - kids are all having a blast. I think more outdoor activities, imagination, and simplistic fun should be the direction. Wear the little gremelins out...
just my 2 cents.

Fourwide
09-27-2010, 08:40 AM
I don't think any of us are much in disagreement here. I don't care if an arcade is installed--I'm completely indifferent re. whether kids play in the courtyard or hit an arcade while adults have a beer (venturing inside now and again--although I really don't think that kids need to sit on a barstool to round out their appreciation of the ski experience!) or just head back to the condo. I understand that some significant portion of parents want their kids nearby for the period between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m., let's say. Practically, that means that children will be either in or nearby CRP and Timbers. So, I need to be realistic and accept that, and that's fine. But I do think that parents with kids in tow need to be reasonable as well and ensure that their kids behave properly. What I really object to is parents using CRP or Timbers as some sort of apres-ski romper room for their young (likely pre-ski age) children--kids running around and taking up all sorts of space better used by adults. I don't think any of us are advocating that.

HowieT2
09-27-2010, 09:13 AM
I don't think any of us are much in disagreement here. I don't care if an arcade is installed--I'm completely indifferent re. whether kids play in the courtyard or hit an arcade while adults have a beer (venturing inside now and again--although I really don't think that kids need to sit on a barstool to round out their appreciation of the ski experience!) or just head back to the condo. I understand that some significant portion of parents want their kids nearby for the period between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m., let's say. Practically, that means that children will be either in or nearby CRP and Timbers. So, I need to be realistic and accept that, and that's fine. But I do think that parents with kids in tow need to be reasonable as well and ensure that their kids behave properly. What I really object to is parents using CRP or Timbers as some sort of apres-ski romper room for their young (likely pre-ski age) children--kids running around and taking up all sorts of space better used by adults. I don't think any of us are advocating that.

I think what you are basically saying is that children are OK in the CRP, as long as they behave appropriately. It is a bar, not a day care center, and should be treated as such. If the kids are bothering people, the parents need to take them somewhere else. I have no problem with that.

FWIW- My daughter (10) said to me this weekend, "Dad, when are we going up to VT-what am I without skiing". stoked. bring it on, already.

Tin Woodsman
09-27-2010, 02:01 PM

Amen, especially the bolded part.

summitchallenger
09-27-2010, 06:02 PM
As for the topic, night skiing and tubing on at least Gatehouse side....

aejkb
09-27-2010, 06:58 PM
Yeah night tubing using the Village chair! Lots of resorts have tube parks and make $ .Then the kids can complain about the CRP adults invading their space!

southvillager
10-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Before I had kids, I could not stand to be around little kids, so I understand why some do not want them around.

Regarding kids in the CR Pub, I think it would be better if you could simply buy a beer upstairs in the main lodge area just like before the new lodge was built, so families would not be compelled to bring kids down into the CastleRock Pub. I used to love hanging around the old base lodge at 4pm relaxing with a cold beer, talking about the ski day with friends and family. I have gone down to the CR Pub for a beer a few times dragging the kids along, but now I don't bother, because it doesn't work for the kids. I remember Stowe used to have a tiny draft beer/wine stand in the main cafeteria (way away from the bar) area that got loads of Apres business, I bet it would work at SB, too.

Tubing or sledding after skiing would be a big hit with my kids. It would give them something to do while I spent my money in the CR Pub.