PDA

View Full Version : Largest boundary-to-boundary glades skiing in New England

Hawk
08-31-2010, 07:02 AM
I saw this article about the new glade expansion at Sugarloaf and it made me wonder. Boyne Marketing is making some huge statements in this article like the Loaf's expansion is the"largest boundary-to-boundary glades skiing in New England' and "From a physical standpoint it's the biggest mountain in the East". Does anybody know, boundry to boundry including slidebrook, how big Sugarbush is? I'm thinking we are bigger.

I figured it was quiet in here and this could make for some good discussion. If Sugarbush is larger then I think we need to market that as to set those guys straight.

http://www.pressherald.com/life/outdoors/glades-skiing-is-on-the-way-and-yes-theyre-excited-at-sugarloaf_2010-08-29.html

WWF-VT
08-31-2010, 07:38 AM
Sugarloaf: 1,400 skiable acres boundary to boundary.

Sugarbush: 4,000 acres of terrain stretching across six peaks including 2,000-acres of backcountry in the Slide Brook Basin

ski_resort_observer
08-31-2010, 09:45 AM
Another more glaring error is the statement that the Loaf is owned by Michigan based Boyne. It's actually owned by CNL Resort Properties, Boyne is the contracted operator. BTW CNL is now by far the largest ski resort owner in the country. In the east they own the Loaf, Sunday River, Bretton Woods, Loon as well as several others.
http://www.saminfo.com/news/article.php?tid=1850

win
08-31-2010, 11:47 AM
Both of the last posts are correct!

Tin Woodsman
08-31-2010, 02:11 PM
Sugarloaf: 1,400 skiable acres boundary to boundary.

Sugarbush: 4,000 acres of terrain stretching across six peaks including 2,000-acres of backcountry in the Slide Brook Basin

Slide Brook is technically out of bounds though, right? Note that they are saying boundary to boundary. Also, I'm pretty sure that the 4000 acres includes large swathes like Upper Inverness that are pretty hard to reach.

Also, while there is a lot more to Slidebrook than meets the eye, it looks like they aren't going to have any of the restrictions w/r/t official glading on Burnt that SB operates under. IOW, it's not an apples to apples comparison.

skiladi
08-31-2010, 02:30 PM
"The people (skiing in the glades) are a fairly thin slice of the market. On the other hand, if you look to get people you might as well get those people. Why try to be a mascara mountain?"

And this is an excerpt from the e-mail I received:

It has been a fantasy of Sugarloafers for years, and this winter the dream will become a reality when the first phase of the new Burnt Mountain expansion, the 270 acre Brackett Basin, opens to the public. This new terrain will give skiers and riders an experience unlike anything else in the East, with hundreds of acres of gladed, “sidecountry” terrain. Skiers will enjoy the sensation of exploring the vast Sugarloaf backcountry, with the security of patrolled, inbounds terrain.

When the entire expansion is complete, Sugarloaf’s terrain will have doubled in size, and skiers will be able to explore a vast, 655 acre glade - an experience unlike anything in the East.

The news article was a little different from the actual announcment.

Hardbooter
08-31-2010, 04:23 PM
No need to tell everyone about all the skiable terrain at Sugarbush. It's crowded enough as it is.

gostan
08-31-2010, 04:50 PM
As a long time Sugarloafer, I received the Sugarloaf 2020 email promoting the long discussed Burnt Mountain expansion plan. I certainly applaud it, but would strongly suggest that the Loaf should be implementing long needed lift replacements for Spillway and Timberline in order to allow more skiers access to its' existing terrain; especially on the many wind closing days. Additionally, the new Burnt Mt. section will be accessed via the King Pine chair, which is always severely affected on medium to heavy wind days. More acres to pad inbounds areas are not always what they seem to be.

I learned to ski at Sugarbush in 1986 at age 37 with my children and returned to Sugarbush last season after almost 15 years away. I was amazed at how the mountain has changed (but still remains the same) and how well skiers are spread over the various peaks during prime times.

I give accolades to the implementation of the wonderful new visions being implemented at Sugarbush intend to be back for a full season of skiing this winter. No more waiting in line at the Superquad in Carabasset Valley for me!

See you all soon!

Stan Gordon

win
08-31-2010, 05:04 PM
Stan,

We will have to ski together. Even though I skied one year in college, I didn't really start skiing regulary until age 34. You are never too old!

vonski
08-31-2010, 06:13 PM
Can i come too!? i did not ski regularly until 36 years old! Few times in High School a couple years in early 90's then got divorced in 2003 and have been getting 25 or more days since then! Hopefully, will get the new misses in the zeroes to heros program this year! I hope they offer it again this year. She missed out last year as she was being mom to the new born last winter. Thinking Snow Folks!

gostan
08-31-2010, 06:27 PM
Stan,

We will have to ski together. Even though I skied one year in college, I didn't really start skiing regulary until age 34. You are never too old!Win
Definitely. I am still trying to catch up on all of those runs that I missed early on.