PDA

View Full Version : The "other" new building on the mountain

shadyjay
08-22-2010, 09:48 AM
While out mountain biking on Thursday, just minutes before my crazy waterbar superman event (thank god I was wearing full padding and a helmet!!!), I stopped at Heaven's Gate to check the progress of the "other" new, less glamorous but very important, building on the mountain:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_LdJssxlEuTQ/THE4H2yxUHI/AAAAAAAALxA/nOCkTALu68E/s720/002.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_LdJssxlEuTQ/THE4IQIzxMI/AAAAAAAALxE/NgObBQpZS4Y/s512/003.JPG

And paid a visit to my office last winter...whose towers are going "green" for the new season (Bravo's done already and looks 100000x better):

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_LdJssxlEuTQ/THE4Iz81_OI/AAAAAAAALxI/1_QXSAjoO5Q/s720/004.JPG

summitchallenger
08-22-2010, 03:53 PM
I take it that is replacing the old warming hut?

skiladi
08-22-2010, 04:58 PM
I take it that is replacing the old warming hut?

Warming hut? I thought that was the smoking section. ; { Hope that changes with a nice , new hut.

win
08-22-2010, 06:08 PM
That is the new snowmaking pump station. Some of you may recall that in the middle of the night late last spring we had an explosion in the pump house that damaged the snowmaking pump station. This is the new building that houses this pump station. There was once a warming hut attached to the old building but has not been in use for some years. This new building is only for the use of our snowmaking crew.

Tin Woodsman
08-22-2010, 07:21 PM
That is the new snowmaking pump station. Some of you may recall that in the middle of the night late last spring we had an explosion in the pump house that damaged the snowmaking pump station. This is the new building that houses this pump station. There was once a warming hut attached to the old building but has not been in use for some years. This new building is only for the use of our snowmaking crew.
While it may not have been in use officially, it was well used to warm up and dry off on cold or wet days by my crew. It will be missed.

Are all the mechanicals in the bldg the same as prior to the explosion or have there been modest upgrades there as well?

HowieT2
08-22-2010, 07:27 PM

I nearly fell off the bike when I saw that on friday. My excitement was short lived since when I saw the size of the pipes I knew they werent for ordinary plumbing. Does look a bit big just for the pumps (not that I know how big those pumps are). Coffee/hot chocolate machine is all I want.

FWIW-mtn was looking great this weekend. lots of people.

win
08-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Just replacing what was there. No upgrades needed. This is a booster pump to get water to the top of the mountain.

HowieT2
08-22-2010, 08:24 PM
Just replacing what was there. No upgrades needed. This is a booster pump to get water to the top of the mountain.

but the new building is much bigger, no?

Hawk
08-23-2010, 07:18 AM
We frequented that shelter as the frost bite stop on the really cold days. Also it was always quiet and a good place for friends and slower skiers to take a break while we did a lap on HG. I will miss that place.

summitchallenger
08-23-2010, 08:29 AM
Sorry to see that the public portion is gone. Honestly that building needed some work as it was getting pretty shopworn.