PDA

View Full Version : Sugarbush Mountain Biking Thread

Hawk
06-24-2010, 06:54 AM
I thought that maybe there should be a place to post a preview of what is up with the Mountain Bike Park and Valley trails this season. Then as things progress we could get updates on events and new information. I realize the Main Website has some of this info but you can't ask specific questions if needed.

So with the season Starting tomorrow, what's up, what's new and what's cookin?

I will be up a quite a bit and riding with the usual suspects.

HowieT2
06-24-2010, 08:32 AM
Thanks.

We're coming up sunday and I'm looking for directions to some valley CC mtb trails. I'm going to ride at the mtn a couple of days and will try and get some video.

Hawk
06-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Thanks.

We're coming up sunday and I'm looking for directions to some valley CC mtb trails. I'm going to ride at the mtn a couple of days and will try and get some video.

Howie, I would be surprised if JA doesn't pipe in but this is my suggestion. Go to Stark Mountain Bike Works at the corner of 17 and 100 and talk to the guys. They will send you in the right direction especially if you give them beer!!! Nice guys by the way. There are great trails right above the shop in Camels Hump SF, Dana Hill and surrounding areas. There are also great trails in the Phen Basin.

I would show you personally but I am off to the Kingdom Trails this weekend.

Good luck.

HowieT2
06-24-2010, 11:11 AM
Thanks.

Howie, I would be surprised if JA doesn't pipe in but this is my suggestion. Go to Stark Mountain Bike Works at the corner of 17 and 100 and talk to the guys. They will send you in the right direction especially if you give them beer!!! Nice guys by the way. There are great trails right above the shop in Camels Hump SF, Dana Hill and surrounding areas. There are also great trails in the Phen Basin.

I would show you personally but I am off to the Kingdom Trails this weekend.

Good luck.
I've done Dana Hill which is nice, but always looking for something new. Most importantly, I hope the weather holds out. We were up last year the week preceding July 4th and it r@#$%^ned every fooking day. The big man owes us some sunshine. Especially for Susan's parade.

Hawk
06-24-2010, 11:29 AM
T-Storms on Sat.
Sunny Sunday
T-Storms on Mon.

Sorry Howie.

HowieT2
06-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Trail maps are now up at http://www.madriverriders.com/mountain.html

Thanks John.

atkinson
06-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Those maps should not be used, as they are inaccurate. I have asked that they be taken down again. We will have the new map available later this week.

I'm not feeling the love here, but have been posting lots of stuff at MTBR. Check out this thread (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=616202) for lots of video and pics.

In addition to all the great video on SugarTube (http://www.sugarbush.com/media/sugartube.asp), I have a bunch posted at Youtube too, here's my page (http://www.youtube.com/user/atkinsonvt).

Enjoy!

John

Hawk
06-28-2010, 02:05 PM
That's all good stuff John. Actually I have seen you posting on other sites. I just wanted to bring it back here where it belongs. :)

I'll be up on the 17th to check out the new work. I here it is great.

PS - Kindom Trails were rippin this weekend. Ran into a couple of MRV locals also. Good time and good reeb!

HowieT2
06-28-2010, 09:30 PM
Got new MTB trail map from the SRO. Thank you. They named the trails. The numbers have been relegated to the dustbin of history.

Hawk
06-29-2010, 09:16 AM
OK so where is the new map? I here there are new trails. Come on give up the goods.

HowieT2
06-29-2010, 04:41 PM
OK so where is the new map? I here there are new trails. Come on give up the goods.

No scanner up in vt so someone else will have to post it.

Rode clinic to gs off Dana hill "road" this morning. Nice single track. Thanks to whomever did all the armoring.

shadyjay
06-30-2010, 10:10 AM
If you're referring to the new Sugarbush summer trail map, then here it is:

LINK REVISED - 7/3/2010
http://picasaweb.google.com/shadyjayvt/Misc#

(available at the mtn, but not online yet)

Not all trails on this map have been cut/built yet!

Xskier
06-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Hopefully this is ok to post on this thread but what is plum line like if you are on Rt 100 and want to climb up to the other good stuff like Ridgie etc. I think i tried that trail a few years ago and it just went straight up and was virtually impossible to climb. Is it still the same and designed as a downhill only?? I live at the bottom of the access road and would love an access point to the trails that is fun.

atkinson
06-30-2010, 03:46 PM
We've been working on making Plum Line more fun in both directions, but it is still a tough climb for the first 3/4 of a mile. There are new sections that switchback some of the steepest pitches, especially right after the big stream crossing. We will be continuing to refine this trail all summer too.

John

Hawk
07-01-2010, 07:30 AM
I like the looks of the new stuff. Looks like we have a couble new ways to old #18 and somthing after it also. Cant wait to sample it.

HowieT2
07-01-2010, 08:16 AM
I like the looks of the new stuff. Looks like we have a couble new ways to old #18 and somthing after it also. Cant wait to sample it.

Me too. That was my intention for this morning, but it's wet, cold and raining so I may go to to plan B and save the mtn for tomorrow.

Xskier
07-01-2010, 10:24 AM
We've been working on making Plum Line more fun in both directions, but it is still a tough climb for the first 3/4 of a mile. There are new sections that switchback some of the steepest pitches, especially right after the big stream crossing. We will be continuing to refine this trail all summer too.

John

Awesome!! Can't wait to try it this weekend..

shadyjay
07-01-2010, 08:57 PM
I had a couple of hours to kill today before work, so my friend from trail crew took me up Super Bravo and down on my bike (a hardtail). Of course, it rained - poured actually for a little while. We descended down VH Traverse to Reverse Traverse then dove off into the woods off HG Traverse just past Domino... Big Birch I think. I survived it, and cruised down Lower Jester to Coffee Run. I learned quite a bit for my first day out - #1 being I need some gloves so I can get traction when holding the bars. I got to the bottom and was soaked, muddy, but still in one piece. I never realized how much of a workout this is. But the important part is ... I'm hooked and am going to go out hopefully next week sometime.

Hawk
07-02-2010, 06:19 AM
Right on Jay! Nice work. Do yourself a favor. Go on line and get some Knee/shin pad and elbow pads. They are not that expensive and protect you on the falls. You will thank me later.

HowieT2
07-02-2010, 08:01 AM
Right on Jay! Nice work. Do yourself a favor. Go on line and get some Knee/shin pad and elbow pads. They are not that expensive and protect you on the falls. You will thank me later.

Agreed and gloves r absolutely essential.

gone.skiing
07-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Full face helmet is nice too, dental work and facial reconstruction is expensive. :D

HowieT2
07-03-2010, 06:29 AM
Great day of riding yesterday. Trails are in fantastic shape albeit muddy, but that should resolve itself in the next day or so.
If you head over to the gatehouse side there are no trails signs yet. Highly recommend "wood lot" off of downspout, "big birch", "burly maple" and "beech nut".
Only damage to me and my bike was a sunburn to the back of my neck. And yes, the burger for lunch at the crp was oh so good.

HowieT2
07-03-2010, 06:41 AM
Full face helmet is nice too, dental work and facial reconstruction is expensive. :D

I was talking to John about this on the lift yesterday. Why can't there be a full face helmet for biking and skiing? Dual sport. Feeding these two addictions is expensive.

shadyjay
07-03-2010, 05:09 PM
I definitely rented pads and the full face helmet from the on mtn rentals.. I did not have any gloves when I went, and the combination of the rain and the slippery grips on my handlebars made it challenging. At least I can rent a helmet/pads and can pick up a pair of gloves at the shop next time, until I can get my own protective gear.

smootharc
07-07-2010, 05:20 PM
...is off with a bang. GREAT riding Saturday and Sunday. Slowly got my groove back, and I should be back to my intermediate ways very soon. At least I'll look muddy and cool at the bottom when I hang with the true experts.

My boys are amped for their upcoming summer dirt camp week. I'm sure SB's professional instructors will be able to warp their minds just like in the Winter. Money well spent !

Any winter warriors who haven't given the Bush a summer look....I recommend it highly. Between the gin clear Mad River and the hiking/riding...it's on ! And the mountain strawbs were nearly ripe (I tested a few), and the wild flower mixture covering the trails had me thinking about twirling and singing like Julie Andrews in "Sound of Music". Did I just type that !?! I hope not....

Hope all you fine folks are well. I've got a good feeling about a BIG winter of 2010/11. Peace out.

Hawk
07-15-2010, 06:59 AM
I will be up this weekend and I can't wait to sample the new goods. Looks like Saturday around noon after some road miles in the morning. Hope to run into the ususal suspects.

So it looks like the new trails are Grand Stand, Wood Lot, Big Birch, Fishercat, Burly Maple, Fox hole and Sap line. Are they in play?

Lostone
07-15-2010, 10:23 AM
The map I saw on the counter in the gear center had a few marked as closed for construction, but I haven't been in there since Sunday. They should have up to date info, when you are up.

HowieT2
07-15-2010, 10:31 AM
I will be up this weekend and I can't wait to sample the new goods. Looks like Saturday around noon after some road miles in the morning. Hope to run into the ususal suspects.

So it looks like the new trails are Grand Stand, Wood Lot, Big Birch, Fishercat, Burly Maple, Fox hole and Sap line. Are they in play?

Check with SRO in the store because as of 7/4 some of the new trails were not finished.

I rode big birch, burly maple, sap line and I think, wood lot, and they were in excellent shape.
Have fun.

Hawk
07-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Thanks Howie. Will do.

atkinson
07-15-2010, 03:02 PM
Disc golfers trying to answer bike questions? Love the stoke this summer Jim.

Grand Stand, Wood Lot, Burley Maple and parts of Sap Line are open. Grand Stand starts behind Allyn's Lodge. Look for more trails soon. We were working on Ruffed Up yesterday.

John

Hawk
07-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Sweet! Thanks John. See you on the hill Saturday.

Hawk
07-19-2010, 06:56 AM
That was a great weekend. Temps were perfect and the riding was perfect. The new trails at the mountain are outstanding. I did the Grand Stand, Wood Lot, Big Birch, Burly Maple combo about 6 times. Hats off to the crew for their hard work. I did runs with a bunch of different people including some of the patrol and the general consensus is that it's only going to get better. If you haven't gone it's worth doing for sure.

I also saw a big group (30+ people) heading out of the Local Folks on Sat morning when I was on my road bike. On the way back to the mountain I saw JA with another group. Looked like they just came down the trail to the Hyde Away. Mountain Biking is certainly gathering speed in the valley. :wink:

Hardbooter
07-26-2010, 09:14 PM
This might off topic(ish) but does anyone know how much of the valley trails are do-able with a hardtail? Is there a lot of nice flowing intermediate single track or is it all gnarly boulder fields and six foot rock drops? My wife is not interested in riding the SB trail network so she wants us to ride what we can in the valley. I think she gets enough of the bush in winter.

BTW, I loved the mad river riders' maps, thats just what we've been looking for. Thanks to all who post links, cut trails and make nice topo maps.

Hawk
07-27-2010, 08:53 AM
This might off topic(ish) but does anyone know how much of the valley trails are do-able with a hardtail? Is there a lot of nice flowing intermediate single track or is it all gnarly boulder fields and six foot rock drops? My wife is not interested in riding the SB trail network so she wants us to ride what we can in the valley. I think she gets enough of the bush in winter.

BTW, I loved the mad river riders' maps, thats just what we've been looking for. Thanks to all who post links, cut trails and make nice topo maps.

Booter, most of the valley trails that are on the MRR maps can be done with a hard tail. In fact a lot of the local riders use hard tails. The only thing that I will add is that nothing is flat. There is a LOT of UP and A LOT of Down. Good Luck!

HowieT2
07-27-2010, 09:11 AM

I can't comment on much of the valley trails but the ones that I have done are definitely doable on a hard tail and there aren't any extremely difficult parts. See my earlier post for the specific trail names. As John mentioned the trail maps are not 100% reliable so check before you rely on them. For instance the end of Busternut is messed up.

atkinson
07-27-2010, 08:07 PM
Don't blame the map or the trails Howie. Busternut seems to be just fine, as long as you follow the trail. Lots of people have ridden it this year, with no issue. That said, there are a lot of turns, old trails, logging roads and assorted paths that make it confusing. Generally, if it becomes impassable, it's not the current route.

Stark Mountain Bikes should have the new map ready with route descriptions for all official MRR trails. There big improvements in this map over the old one from the web.

John

HowieT2
07-27-2010, 08:34 PM
Don't blame the map or the trails Howie. Busternut seems to be just fine, as long as you follow the trail. Lots of people have ridden it this year, with no issue. That said, there are a lot of turns, old trails, logging roads and assorted paths that make it confusing. Generally, if it becomes impassable, it's not the current route.

Stark Mountain Bikes should have the new map ready with route descriptions for all official MRR trails. There big improvements in this map over the old one from the web.

John

My bad then.
It's a good ride.

HowieT2
08-22-2010, 07:44 PM
Got to ride the mtn on Friday including GrandStand which wasn't open the last time I was up. All the new trails are great. Obviously a lot of work and skillful planning went into making them. I've been riding for 20 years and they are lots of fun for me but I was also with Boze and his son, who aren't bikers and they were able to enjoy themselves also.

Wanted to ride the enchanted forest but the rain this morning nixed that part of the plan.

win
08-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Too bad it rained today. We have had a great stretch of ideal weekends unlike last year. However, this rain is going to keep it green, make for a nice foliage and keep our pond full for snowmaking which less than 3 months away.

HowieT2
08-22-2010, 08:57 PM
Too bad it rained today. We have had a great stretch of ideal weekends unlike last year. However, this rain is going to keep it green, make for a nice foliage and keep our pond full for snowmaking which less than 3 months away.

we need the rain here in NY and its coming down in buckets. Must've gotten 3-4" already. the mad river was a little low saturday when we went tubing. so this should be helpful.
We're back on saturday till labor day, i'll have plenty more riding.

Hawk
08-23-2010, 06:39 AM
Howie is right. The trails are in excellent condtion with lots of work over the last month. It was a huge improvement from the last time I came up in July. I went down Ruffed up for the first time this year and it was the run of the day. The new re-route sections are steep but the flow is perfect. I blasted down that thing three times. That was lots of hard work guys. Thanks!!!

mattlucas
08-24-2010, 04:57 PM
About the mountain bike program:

How come there are cross country bikes listed as a rental option online, but only downhill bikes available in the shop?
Also, if I am willing to pay to rent a bike and provide my credit card info and sign a waiver etc, why am I limited to
riding only at the mountain?

There still seems to be a philosophical divide between Sugarbush and Sugarbush Valley. It would be nice to see Sugarbush
continue to provide leadership to bridge the gap between the two so people can take advantage of the full spectrum of
recreational opportunities (and trails) available in the entire valley because one of the mountains main assets is obviously where it's located!

Clearwater Sports was kind enough to help out and their phones didn't disconnect on me because i asked a few questions.

Anyway, I hope the shop can grow to provide more services and patient customer service next year and let the march towards winter continue!

atkinson
08-25-2010, 08:22 AM
Sorry for any confusion Matt, but we do have cross-country bikes for rent and you can take bikes where you want once you rent them, as far as I know. People often rent and ride the Valley trails. I've spent a lot of time helping people design loops and explaining how to navigate the network right from the Adventure Gear Shop. Pretty much all of our kid bikes are pedal-friendly and we have some adult 4"x4" xc full suspension Rocky Mountains too.

As for the divide, we like to think of it as the Mad River Valley, and I am on the Board of the Mad River Riders mountain bike club and the Mad River Path. Sugarbush actively supports both organizations.

Many (most) of the most active volunteer trail builders and maintainers in the Valley are also Sugarbush employees, Mike Skroski, Tom Baffa, Aaron Hersey, Lee Levesque(formerly), Brian Daigle, Gerry Nooney, the Wade family, Tony Watkins, etc. I just spent the last two days working in Camel's Hump SF on the Enchanted Forest trail.

Can you send me an email about how you got the impressions that you did? jatkinson at sugarbush.com. Thanks!

John

HowieT2
08-31-2010, 07:15 PM
enchanted forest is an excellent trail especially for beginners. Much thanks to those who put in a lot of hard work into it.
Did Cyclone and Clinic again today and they are in great shape.

Hawk
09-02-2010, 06:39 AM
We are headed up tonight and I hope to check out the new work and hit the downhill also. I got wood.........ahh....coming on friday morning and plan to do some cross training. Lug 1 cord up 3 levels, xc mountain bike and then Down hill. Now that's a strange-ass triathalon. :wink:

ahm
09-03-2010, 09:04 AM
John,

EF rode quite nicely on Monday evening, along with Clinic and Cyclone, even on my 3" x 1.25" XC bike (I know you hate those designations!). Also, chain gain was in great shape Tuesday morning along with a great climb on No 9 hill. Chain gain has fallen off the regular riding list for many, but with all the dry weather it sure rode great and was every bit as fun as cyclone! Thanks again for all the great work!!!