PDA

View Full Version : plans to repair/replace snowmaking pipe

teleo
05-31-2010, 08:29 AM
Just noticed this
http://www.valleyreporter.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3218&ac=0&Itemid=38

Wonder if this will enlarge the pipe, or if that is even a bottleneck in the system capacity.

summitchallenger
05-31-2010, 07:55 PM
Just noticed this
http://www.valleyreporter.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3218&ac=0&Itemid=38

Wonder if this will enlarge the pipe, or if that is even a bottleneck in the system capacity.

Great to hear! Any work on the Mount Ellen line from in front of Fayston Elementary to the base of the ski area?

win
05-31-2010, 09:36 PM
ASC installed the original pipe from the Mad River Pond to Lincoln Peak over fifteen years ago. The pipe was not the best quality but has lasted and provided water for snowmaking at Lincoln Peak. This pipe could probably last several more years, but given the current price of steel and labor it makes the most sense to replace it this summer so that we have something that can last 25 or more years. We will be using the same diameter pipe and this prohect will take approximately 60 days once it commences sometime after the 4th of July. While this will not be a "visible" item to most guests, it reflects our long-term commitment to Sugarbush. Six packs abs are nice, but the main artery is what lends life to the body.

The pipe at Mount Ellen is even older and this replacement also demonstrates that we are equally committed to this side of the Resort.

Were it not for the continuted support of you, we would not be going forward with these projects!

Treeskier
05-31-2010, 09:52 PM
Brilliant!

summitchallenger
06-01-2010, 07:21 AM
The pipe at Mount Ellen is even older and this replacement also demonstrates that we are equally committed to this side of the Resort.

Were it not for the continuted support of you, we would not be going forward with these projects!

So Ellen's line is being replaced as well?

vonski
06-02-2010, 12:17 PM

So Ellen's line is being replaced as well?

It says on Alpinezone, that they are doing both pipe!

win
06-02-2010, 03:55 PM
That is the plan if we can!

Tin Woodsman
06-02-2010, 04:55 PM
That is the plan if we can!
Great news. Are you able to share with us what sort of increased capacity this should/could result in due to higher uptime and the ability to run at full strength?

win
06-03-2010, 06:24 AM
It will more than double the water flow.

Hawk
06-03-2010, 06:38 AM
Wow, that will make a difference. Sweet.

HowieT2
06-03-2010, 11:18 AM

what does that mean for the uninitiated? was water flow a constraint on the current system? I assume it doesn't mean that there will be twice as much snow made but if it means more snow, yippee.

vonski
06-03-2010, 01:55 PM
I think it means that the pond at ellen and tank at South will be refilled faster allowing more water to be available and can keep the guns going! Correct me if I am wrong.

win
06-03-2010, 04:21 PM
There are two sources of water for Mt. Ellen. The pump house at the pond has two pumps that can put so much water into the system. The Van loon pumps create additional water flow meaning that with this pipe repaired we will be able to pump more gallons of water per minute and thus make more snow with the sme electrical generation. The amount of water that one can pump depends on the ratio of air and water that has to be used. The colder the better.

Tin Woodsman
06-03-2010, 04:53 PM

There are two sources of water for Mt. Ellen. The pump house at the pond has two pumps that can put so much water into the system. The Van loon pumps create additional water flow meaning that with this pipe repaired we will be able to pump more gallons of water per minute and thus make more snow with the sme electrical generation. The amount of water that one can pump depends on the ratio of air and water that has to be used. The colder the better.

Color me thrilled and confused at the same time.

Can one presume that the doubling of the water flow mentioned above refers solely to Mt. Ellen? If so, is there some sort of bypass line from the Van Loon Pumphouse directly into the system (i.e. it doesn't go into the pond at the bottom)? Otherwise I don't get how you increase the total water available to the system at any given time.

If the doubling of the flow does refer to Mt. Ellen, are there any implications for LP other than a more reliable trunk line (which obviously is a good thing in and of itself)?

We're probably getting into the (proprietary) weeds here, but for some reason I find this stuff fascinating. Of course the overall result of more water for ME (and perhaps LP?) is a big win for SB fans.

Plowboy
06-04-2010, 07:17 AM
From what I remember when they put the pipe in it does not go directly to the pond it goes to the building to the left of the gmvs building. It's been some time so.............. :?:

vonski
06-04-2010, 08:28 AM
Ellen can go direct up the mountain or into the pond. So more capacity by taking from pond and river at same time. I believe!

summitchallenger
06-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Now THIS sounds like the Sugarbush I recall!!!!! After the early closing, I was getting a little worried....

Tin Woodsman
06-04-2010, 12:01 PM
Ellen can go direct up the mountain or into the pond. So more capacity by taking from pond and river at same time. I believe!

Interesting. That's huge news for ME. Good stuff.

I would imagine that even though they are using the same diameter pipe for LP, the ability to run it all full pressure more often will help things on that side as well, at least as compared to recent years.

HowieT2
06-04-2010, 12:16 PM
I wonder if the pipe being replaced was purchased from the manufacturer accused of supplying defective water pipes all over the country. I think they are being sued by something like 14 states. Maybe SV can recoup the cost of this project.

win
06-04-2010, 02:46 PM
I was just referring to ME. There are two water sources there. The pipe from the Van Loon pump house across from the Fayston school is what is being replaced. At LP there is one. The Mad River Pond with the water piped up the access road in an 18" steel pipe. This is the piple being replaced.

Tin Woodsman
06-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Must have been a good winter. Big summer at The Bush!

win
06-06-2010, 12:08 PM
It is a big summer. While one always goes into new capital projects will some trepidation, all these projects are basic things to make sure that we have a healthy foundation for the future. The cost of construction is not likely to be this low again for some time, so it really did make sense to proceed now with the completion of the base area and replacing our main snow making arteries at both mountains. The latter won't be visible to the guest but the failure of an old pipe would be. As I mentioned in an earlier post these replacements should have a life of more than two decades since we are using good quality pipe this time.

There will be some traffic inconvenience for a couple of months both on the Access Road and German FLats. The town of Fayston is considering improvements of their own on German Flats and the town of Warren may also piggyback with out project to complete some repairs of the Access Road.

summitchallenger
06-06-2010, 07:36 PM
It is a big summer. While one always goes into new capital projects will some trepidation, all these projects are basic things to make sure that we have a healthy foundation for the future. The cost of construction is not likely to be this low again for some time, so it really did make sense to proceed now with the completion of the base area and replacing our main snow making arteries at both mountains. The latter won't be visible to the guest but the failure of an old pipe would be. As I mentioned in an earlier post these replacements should have a life of more than two decades since we are using good quality pipe this time.

There will be some traffic inconvenience for a couple of months both on the Access Road and German FLats. The town of Fayston is considering improvements of their own on German Flats and the town of Warren may also piggyback with out project to complete some repairs of the Access Road.

It is a good time to do work because people are looking for jobs and contractors are eager to deal. Great to hear that the mountain is taking the initiative by replacing these snowmaking lines now rather than bandaging them up. Last year was a good example of what can happen when they don't work....unfortunately we were behind the eight ball with regards to weather so any other downtime really, really hurt.