PDA

View Full Version : Idea. Good ? Bad ? Thoughts ?

smootharc
05-19-2010, 08:55 AM
My kid is a Mountaineering Blazer. And the coaches and kids do some pretty cool stuff during the season. It is a program where SB is on the "leading edge" and "thinking outside the box" in terms of education, skills, and preparedness. I think this last season was season two, and by all accounts and any measurement it is a great success.

And in reflecting a bit about that program (now that the skis are finally packed away) I started pondering what some of the logical offshoots could be for these 11-15 year olds. In searching around a bit, there doesn't seem to be any programs for "grooming" or educating kids (should they choose) in areas like:

-Ski Patrol
-Wilderness Medicine
-Avalanche Training
-Guide Certification

Is anyone aware of programs for kids in any of the above areas ? And is there anything Sugarbush might think of in these areas, either off season or during season (vacation weeks ?). A week long seminar or some such. A summer course ? A fall course ?

Anyways, that's it. Sugarbush has been willing to take a lead in their programs...and that got me thinking (usually not a good idea !)...

Hawk
05-19-2010, 10:07 AM
There is certainly Avi Training in the New England area. There are several outfits that do weekend courses on Mt. Washington from what I have been told and seen on the various message boards.

Wilderness medicine I guess would be first aid/first response and survival training?? Again that is something that is obtainable in multiple locations.

I have never seen a Ski Patrol training course offered as it involves many different aspects. All my friends that have gone that route took first Aid and first response training and then volunteered for a while and then took the certification tests and became ski patrol. Sort of the natural progression. There might be a course somewhere.

I am not sure about Guiding. I know out west in places like the Tetons there are programs but I have never heard of one around here. Mr. Atkinson would know most about this I think. Although he did go out west for his training this year. We will see.

I think that there would be interest for most of these things but how much is the question. I wouldn't mind doing Avi training right at the Bush to refresh and sharpen my own skills.

atkinson
05-19-2010, 10:57 AM
Quit thinking so much, it's impeding your fun. Sit back and relax. I'm all over it.

Beyond the basic snow science clinics that we already do with the Blazers, I'm hoping to get my Level III/ITC Avy course done next year, which would allow me to teach Level I avy courses. Maybe even right at Sugarbush, for groups like, I don't know ... the Bush Pilots and Mountaineering Blazers, to start. Do Sundays for the Pilots work? I thought so.

We already do some medical training with the Mountaineers and Adventure, and sometimes do scenarios with Patrol. If kids are interested, when they turn 16, we funnel them into an OEC course.

Guide training? You mean stuff like skinning, route-finding, orienteering, off-piste skiing, survival, teamwork, leadership and critical decision-making? We already do a lot of that, but we'll be stepping it up every season of the year. You're going to see kids skiing around in harnesses soon, just like Cham.

Thanks for the ideas. Keep'em coming.

John

smootharc
05-19-2010, 11:29 AM
Quit thinking so much...

I said I was thinking. I never claimed to be thinking clearly !

Thanks for the feedback. And see you soon for some gravity fed biking fun !

Tin Woodsman
05-20-2010, 03:10 AM
Quit thinking so much, it's impeding your fun. Sit back and relax. I'm all over it.

Beyond the basic snow science clinics that we already do with the Blazers, I'm hoping to get my Level III/ITC Avy course done next year, which would allow me to teach Level I avy courses. Maybe even right at Sugarbush, for groups like, I don't know ... the Bush Pilots and Mountaineering Blazers, to start. Do Sundays for the Pilots work? I thought so.

We already do some medical training with the Mountaineers and Adventure, and sometimes do scenarios with Patrol. If kids are interested, when they turn 16, we funnel them into an OEC course.

Guide training? You mean stuff like skinning, route-finding, orienteering, off-piste skiing, survival, teamwork, leadership and critical decision-making? We already do a lot of that, but we'll be stepping it up every season of the year. You're going to see kids skiing around in harnesses soon, just like Cham.

Thanks for the ideas. Keep'em coming.

John

Awesome JA!