PDA

View Full Version : Finding this strange...April weather in May

Treeskier
05-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Who shook up the calendar for the late couple years/months. 90 degree weather in early April and now 2 snow storms leaving fresh snow in May! Plus a "NorEaster" possibly Tuesday into Wednesday. Again with the possibility of higher elevation snows! And a deep frost tonight.

First: Web cam this morning on Mad River Glens web site showed tracks coming down!

Second: I got a call from a good friend who was walking her dogs up Stowe access road. "4-6" new" she reports. Plus "I woke up to 2" at my house in Warren"

I've seen this before.But it was a while back when Killington was open till you had to walk about 1/2 way down Super Star. But like this year it kept filling back in. This weekend, the 2nd weekend of May, it use to have VW sized bumps smoothly lined up in row.

June 1st. That was the day I drove from Killington's closing day to Sugarloaf's re-opening because they had enough much snow (after being close for the month...ASC days) !

One more sign: got a picture, live from a friend, on Stein's "Cinco De Mayo Wednesday " Big Grin Smiling Making Turns"

Funny in years past we had lift access skiing to enjoy "Mother Natures mood Swings" Who shook up the calendar for the late couple years/months. 90 degree weather in early April and now 2 snow storms leaving fresh snow in May! Plus a "NorEaster" possibly Tuesday into Wednesday. Again with the possibility of higher elevation snows! And a deep frost tonight.

First: Web cam this morning on Mad River Glens web site showed tracks coming down!

Second: I got a call from a good friend who was walking her dogs up Stowe access road. "4-6" new" she reports. Plus "I woke up to 2" at my house in Warren"

I've seen this before.But it was a while back when Killington was open till you had to walk about 1/2 way down Super Star. But like this year it kept filling back in. This weekend, the 2nd weekend of May, it use to have VW sized bumps smoothly lined up in row.

June 1st. That was the day I drove from Killington's closing day to Sugarloaf's re-opening because they had enough much snow (after being close for the month...ASC days) !

One more sign: got a picture, live from a friend, on Stein's "Cinco De Mayo Wednesday " Big Grin Smiling Making Turns"

Funny in years past we had lift access skiing to enjoy "Mother Natures mood Swings"

shadyjay
05-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Very strange weather indeed....finally someone agrees with me!

Snow for a good portion of the day. Right now its snowing or sleeting out and my temp display reads 33. Wind is blowing pretty good stirring up the snow even more.
(reported from elev 1740', about 200'+ above LP base area).

Pics here from the area:
http://picasaweb.google.com/shadyjayvt/20100509MaySnow#

Lostone
05-09-2010, 09:20 PM
I guess you could say that it is windy. Heard some scraping outside and went down to stop our recycling bin from heading down to the SHaRC. :shock:

Did you keep any of that snow, Jay? My deck was white, when I woke up, this morning, but self-cleared.

shadyjay
05-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Did you keep any of that snow, Jay? My deck was white, when I woke up, this morning, but self-cleared.

The deck is still covered, and has a little more than this morning, since its still snowing lightly. One small spot where I "test-shovelled, one more time" has turned quite slick.

Took a walk out on Village Run this morning - not enough snow there for easy tracks with my old board as grass is pretty high. But up higher looked more covered.