PDA

View Full Version : Need a webcam

muddy_hollow
04-12-2010, 11:23 AM
With all of the activity happening at the bush this summer, it would be great if there were some way to see the progress via the web. Are there any plans on having a web cam to see the construction process in action?

Very excited about the expansion plans!

shadyjay
04-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Don't worry - I'll be taking pictures and posting updates here and/or on my blog at shadyjay.com.

beelze
04-15-2010, 07:10 AM
With all of the activity happening at the bush this summer, it would be great if there were some way to see the progress via the web. Are there any plans on having a web cam to see the construction process in action?

perhaps its buried in the archives but why stop there? Just about every major resort has a couple of webcams and in this age of wireless everything it shouldn't be too hard nor too expensive to set up.

summitchallenger
04-15-2010, 07:55 AM

perhaps its buried in the archives but why stop there? Just about every major resort has a couple of webcams and in this age of wireless everything it shouldn't be too hard nor too expensive to set up.

There used to be a webcam at the base of Mount Ellen. Not sure what happened to it....

Tin Woodsman
04-15-2010, 03:37 PM

That issue has been brought up so many times over the years, but I fear we are wasting our time talking about it.

It's ridiculous that there isn't a webcam. The expense is minimal, so the only reasonable explanation is that they don't want their potential customers to make a last minute decision to stay home if they see lousy conditions. Pretty weak sauce in my book. Of course, most internet savvy individuals know there is a webcam at MRG's base providing a sense of what conditions are likely to be over at SB. The village cam is a poor substitute at such a low elevation and nowhere near the slopes.

win
04-15-2010, 04:05 PM
I don't like webcams. I think our website and gallery pictures and the video are a much better tool to see the conditions is more than just one static place.

Fourwide
04-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Good point re. the daily video piece--very informative.

HowieT2
04-15-2010, 09:32 PM
I don't like webcams. I think our website and gallery pictures and the video are a much better tool to see the conditions is more than just one static place.

I won't argue the webcam issue as it's been discussed at length (except to say that those of us slaving away at the office on a friday waiting to bolt and drive 5 hours to the mtn., would love to see a live shot of something other than the single chair and the warren store), but the execution on the web video leaves something to be desired. The video is choppy to the point of being unwatchable. Also, it was great that they took video of the blazer kids, so it should be available. Currently there are some short clips on youtube, but I would pay to get the raw video. Thanks.

summitchallenger
04-16-2010, 07:18 AM

I won't argue the webcam issue as it's been discussed at length (except to say that those of us slaving away at the office on a friday waiting to bolt and drive 5 hours to the mtn., would love to see a live shot of something other than the single chair and the warren store), but the execution on the web video leaves something to be desired. The video is choppy to the point of being unwatchable. Also, it was great that they took video of the blazer kids, so it should be available. Currently there are some short clips on youtube, but I would pay to get the raw video. Thanks.

Agree that sometimes the snow report videos are just OK. I don't understand why Mark waited until the LAST DAY of Mount Ellen's season to go over and ask folks, "gee, why do you like Mount Ellen?" Maybe it's me, but wouldn't you do that before they closed?

One idea for a webcam would be one similar to Sugarloaf's where you can see multiple parts of the mountain.

vonski
04-16-2010, 07:47 AM
A web cam is real time! Pictures are old they are never up the day that they are taken! The snow report videos are not real time either and they are not daily! Flatlanders like to see what is going real time! You, Win, have that luxury of being there real time and rightfully worked hard for it! But give us flatlanders some real time love! Certainly would like to see the trees bloom in the spring and turn green as much as the leaves changing in the fall and the first snow to blanket the mountain! So, it is not so much the conditions as it is the serenity from seeing the valley! Back to Mad Rivers site for my daily peace and view of the valley from the Flatlands.

I also noticed that most of the folks asked about Mount Ellen were employees as well! :shock:

Tin Woodsman
04-16-2010, 01:38 PM

Win -

While the pictures and video are fantastic, they are neither real-time nor are they unedited. You are selecting the best shots to post. You are editing down the best video segments to include. This means that it's closer to propaganda (albeit we do love the stoke) than it is to information. Even if a webcam is static, it's real, unedited, and real-time. Of course a better solution would be some sort of cam at the base(s) and one at mid-mountain. Put it on the top of the Bravo summit shack and have it looking towards Allyn's lodge and beyond to the HG area. Same for Ellen. Pics and vids will never, ever be a substitute for what people are looking for in this regard.

Hardbooter
04-16-2010, 04:23 PM
+1
I know some people don't like webcams but it's just silly that I have to look at mad river and the warren store just to try and see what's going on weather-wise. Even a camera above the CR pub looking at the plaza area and pool would be better than what we have now.

beelze
04-28-2010, 11:35 AM

1) Is there a video ski report every single morning?
2) Is the above daily video report updated during the day?
3) Wireless webcams are cheap. Buy 10 for each mountain and have a blast.
4) Nobody said you couldn't put photos and video on the website and have webcams.

Examples:

Breck: http://www.breckenridge.com/mountain/mountain-web-cams.aspx
Copper: http://www.coppercolorado.com/summer/the_mountain/mountain_cams
Alpine: http://www.skialpine.com/mountain/webcam
BigSkyhttp://www.bigskyresort.com/Photos-Videos/webcam.asp

But heck, those mountains clearly don't know what their customers want or need like Sugarbush does.

mattlucas
04-28-2010, 04:04 PM
you can add me to the list of people who would like real time video.

I like what Hunter does, you can see the base, mid, and summit.

no need for the images to be boring either, find a scenic shot, a bumpline, show off the bar, construction. real time is awesome.

Colorado Dirt
04-28-2010, 05:26 PM
you can add me to the list of people who would like real time video.

I like what Hunter does, you can see the base, mid, and summit.

no need for the images to be boring either, find a scenic shot, a bumpline, show off the bar, construction. real time is awesome.

I forget which mountain has it but there is a webcam that lets web users control it for 30 second intervals. Pretty cool. Oh by the way I'm pro webcam, video, and pictures. Cams are super cheap and take 10 minutes to configure

klop
04-29-2010, 11:29 AM
I forget which mountain has it but there is a webcam that lets web users control it for 30 second intervals.

Squaw:

http://www.squaw.com/winter/squawubercam.html

Alpine Meadows used to have one. I'm sure there are more.

Tin Woodsman
04-29-2010, 11:35 AM
I forget which mountain has it but there is a webcam that lets web users control it for 30 second intervals.

Squaw:

http://www.squaw.com/winter/squawubercam.html

Alpine Meadows used to have one. I'm sure there are more.

Mammoth has that as well, with cams on top of 2 of the base lodges and the mid-mountain lodge too.

Tin Woodsman
04-29-2010, 11:43 AM

Very excited about the expansion plans!

Getting back to the OP, why not just install one for this off-season somewhere on CB looking down upon the construction site? What a great way to keep the SB family up to speed on the status of this incredibly important expansion! These buildings have been awaited for many years - shine the light in and let the world see your progress! If you don't want to have it operational during the winter, that's disappointing, but perhaps having it this summer as a test bed would be a reasonable first step?

vonski
04-30-2010, 02:55 PM
Okay, I went to the Mad River site today to check the webcam and there was lots of melt already! So, I went to the Sugarbush site to check temps. 60 degrees. then I noticed in the bottom left hand corner the video with JJ showing off the start of construction. So, I guess this will be the answer to the webcam as there is supposed to be weekly updates.

Is that video somewhere else on the site too! Because it is real small and not a big Picture at all. I usually figure out how to enlarge these videos or find them elsewhere, but missing it on this one. Hope it is not just that little video picture.

boze
05-06-2010, 11:38 PM
+1 for some web cams. Trick is weatherizing the location, to counter ice build-up or fog. Other than that, none too complicated or expensive...I mean even the shareholders at MRG appreciate its value and pony up the funds. Maybe it's their way of accommodating Regulation FD ("Full Disclosure"!) for their shareholders.

The real-time feedback simply cannot be beat, and is increasingly in demand.
Contra arguements swim against the tide, and quickly take on a certain Luddite-esqueness.

Even good ole Alta puts their several year-round cams on the front page. OK, 500"+ annual avg snowfall may help but that's really not the point here.
www.alta.com
and so does www.snowbird.com who with their 24-hour snowcam is a leader in this area of Full Disclosure and Stoke-ness.

Hawk
05-07-2010, 06:31 AM
You know with all the techy millionaire trustifarians at the Bush, you would think that someone could bust out a free set up and get this thing going. There is wireless internet everywhere around the base area so connectivity is not a problem. All we need is a volunteer, a location and permission. You know " Web Cam sponsored by...." :wink:

Colorado Dirt
05-07-2010, 03:37 PM
You know with all the techy millionaire trustifarians at the Bush, you would think that someone could bust out a free set up and get this thing going. There is wireless internet everywhere around the base area so connectivity is not a problem. All we need is a volunteer, a location and permission. You know " Web Cam sponsored by...." :wink:

I'll set it up and configure it..

vonski
05-07-2010, 08:16 PM
I will watch it! :lol:

random_ski_guy
05-09-2010, 11:29 PM
Oh thank you Colorado Dirt. I have been hoping someone with a decent view of the mtn would finally bypass mgmt's resistance to a real time web cam. If I want real time, I have to interpolate from several other lives sources which is really silly.

chuck
05-10-2010, 09:33 AM
I will watch it every day....

Yard Sale
05-10-2010, 09:59 AM
Kindly, sign me up.

Thank you.

Colorado Dirt
05-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Oh thank you Colorado Dirt. I have been hoping someone with a decent view of the mtn would finally bypass mgmt's resistance to a real time web cam. If I want real time, I have to interpolate from several other lives sources which is really silly.

Sorry, I'm over on west hill rd with no mountain view about 4 minutes away. I'm happy to give you guys access to my security cam which can be aimed outside to see current conditions (or in my house). If you see a burgler you have to call the cops though

random_ski_guy
05-11-2010, 04:18 PM
Colorado Dirt, I'll take it and the security job too. Maybe you could add a thermometer to the view to. thanks!

Colorado Dirt
05-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Colorado Dirt, I'll take it and the security job too. Maybe you could add a thermometer to the view to. thanks!

Will do, I will have that all set this coming fall