PDA

View Full Version : No Joke- Expansion Announced

noski
04-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Sugarbush Expansion (http://www.sugarbush.com/content/cm.asp?pid=25&id=1228) I know I should have waited for Win, but I have to believe he is out rippin' it up in the sun. This stuff is what you need ME for!

Hawk
04-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Thats great news. Looks like it's going to be a busy summer.

vonski
04-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Stairs of death going bye bye! Yippie!

djd66
04-01-2010, 12:33 PM
That's great news! Hats off to you Win for going ahead with expansion during a touch econimic climate. Best oif luck during the construction phase. Does this mean you will be reconfiguring the base area and moving the village double? i know ther had been some talk of that in the past.

win
04-01-2010, 01:39 PM
No lift changes. That will be Phase 3. Take a look at my post today and dthe link to the news release.

vonski
04-01-2010, 01:52 PM
No market for housing still! So, is all the EB5 money going to phase 2 or is there still more to grab for phase 3 which if it includes housing; may pay for itself.

vonski
04-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Are you just taking a break from skiing Win? Why are you answering questions unless it is via mobile. :lol:

teleo
04-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Awesome news!!!! Great way to under promise this year and over deliver.

shadyjay
04-05-2010, 05:33 PM
As of this afternoon, the "Little Kid" (aka Sunkid) has been disassembled and a crane was in position ready to remove the ticket building, with its full "foundation" exposed, along with the ski & ride building. More changes coming!

If anyone forgot, here's a site plan:
http://www.sugarbush.com/vermont-real-estate/sugarbushliving/village-guide

Tin Woodsman
04-05-2010, 06:58 PM
As of this afternoon, the "Little Kid" (aka Sunkid) has been disassembled and a crane was in position ready to remove the ticket building, with its full "foundation" exposed, along with the ski & ride building. More changes coming!

that's not the new one though. The Discovery Center is still included in that rendering.

Benski
04-05-2010, 09:02 PM

that's not the new one though. The Discovery Center is still included in that rendering.

Really, where?

Wasn't the discovery center a sales office for the real estate? obviously don't need that yet

Benski
04-05-2010, 09:11 PM
No lift changes. That will be Phase 3. Take a look at my post today and dthe link to the news release.

what lift changes? A new Valley House Lift? from the base? They way the crowds have been this season, can the Valley House be eliminated without some additional cafeteria/bar space to replace it. it's been so long I forget what the current thinking is.

shadyjay
04-05-2010, 09:35 PM
The lift changes involve the replacement/relocation of the Village Double which would follow a new route diagonally up & across Easy Rider, starting more uphill from its present lonely outpost. There are plans/maps of this on the stairs in the Gate House. But I believe this can't be done until the new buildings/village is built.

Regarding the Valley House Chair, I haven't heard much on its replacement lately, but the Valley House Lodge of course stands in its way, and without additional office/cafeteria/storage/ locker space, it can't be torn down just yet. The Phase II press release notes a "cafe" - whether that means a full-fledged cafeteria, or a quick "bite" also remains to be seen. Thought I also heard storage space in the new buildings.

Bringing the Valley House Lift down to the base would help greatly to take the load off Super Bravo. What transpires in the years to come will be very interesting. For those who would mourn the loss of the Valley House Lodge, keep in mind its quite the old building and contains quite a bit of empty space. I wouldn't mind seeing it sacrificed to alleviate the load on Bravo on weekends/holidays, and in those rare events when Bravo is o/o/s, or late season when its the Valley House only.

Just my $.02, of course!

win
04-06-2010, 10:46 AM
The Village Chair replacement will be part of Phase III when some additional slopeside units are built and sold. Probably a year or two away. Phase II will have some beginner regrading though for next winter.

I am getting more and more attached to the Valley House Lodge. It is the first lodge built in 1958 and was historical significance. It functions well now as a back-up to the Gate House of busy days and with some renovations likely has a future. I would expect to see it around for some time. The Valley House chair is also working well as a back-up for Bravo and for use on weekends and Holidays, so I would also expect to see that around for some time too.

shadyjay
04-06-2010, 10:55 AM
It is amazing how little the VH has changed over the years... I have recorded digitally the Sugarbush 45 program off of Ch 12 and some scenes in it can be easily replicated today, just got to find those red & white table cloths.

So in that case... I say lets replace the Wunderbar and reopen the MUSHROOM!!!! Who's with me?

John Walden
04-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Shady Jay- I am for the VH Lodge to remain. I t has the best views on the mountain and the Mushroom and Wunderbar have alot of potential. I know it's not the best location from a food/beverage standpoint, but that can be improved as well. I thought Sugarbush couldn't re-locate the VH chair without losing the VH lodge because it's on NFS land? Maybe I am wrong on this.

djd66
04-06-2010, 12:05 PM
I like the valley house, I think it just needs a few bucks put into the place. I'm thinking some paint + new carpet and it would be good to go.

Tin Woodsman
04-06-2010, 12:30 PM

Really, where?

Wasn't the discovery center a sales office for the real estate? obviously don't need that yet

It's that small building with no name between Claybrook and the Kids ski school on the rendering that shadyjay linked to. IIRC, there were plans for a few residential units above one of the two new buildings in previous versions, and there is likely a bit of Claybrook inventory lying around as well. Not sure if either of those recollections are still valid, but I would agree that having a real estate sales office being the first building you pass when entering the plaza is probably not the best use of space, nor the best message to send out to people.

Tin Woodsman
04-06-2010, 12:32 PM
The Village Chair replacement will be part of Phase III when some additional slopeside units are built and sold. Probably a year or two away. Phase II will have some beginner regrading though for next winter.

I am getting more and more attached to the Valley House Lodge. It is the first lodge built in 1958 and was historical significance. It functions well now as a back-up to the Gate House of busy days and with some renovations likely has a future. I would expect to see it around for some time. The Valley House chair is also working well as a back-up for Bravo and for use on weekends and Holidays, so I would also expect to see that around for some time too.

IOW, no new VH lift for the foreseeable future.

In reality, now that the old skier services bldg concept, replete with additional cafeteria space, is kaput, there's no way they can kill VH lodge. It's too important for weekend, holiday and race day surge capacity.

HowieT2
04-06-2010, 01:16 PM

While I agree that VH lodge and chair are functioning well for the weekend and holiday overflow, doesn't the lift have a finite lifespan? I ask because I have no idea, except that it must be really old. I realize the grips were replaced last year.
Also, the location of the base of the lift is less than ideal to relieve crowding at the SB, and the terminus is downright dangerous. So I assume at some point, the lift needs to be replaced whether it is 5 years from now, 10 years from now or whenever. When this day comes, would a new lift be put into the same place as the old one?
Undoubtedly demolition of the VH lodge and replacing it would be an expensive proposition, not to mention the outcry from many who are emotionally attached to the old lady. Furthermore, since it is not a revenue producer it would be hard to justify the expenditure. On the other hand, if you build a new lodge, I assume operating costs would be lower and revenue generating opportunities (member clubhouse/locker room, 3rd party vendors, etc.) could be added. But I can't see putting in a new lift and not having it start from the base area and that would necessitate removing the lodge.

HowieT2
04-06-2010, 01:29 PM

In reality, now that the old skier services bldg concept, replete with additional cafeteria space, is kaput, there's no way they can kill VH lodge. It's too important for weekend, holiday and race day surge capacity.

What's "IOW"?

of course, you are right, can't get rid of the old building without something to replace it. and without additional residential sales, there is no financing for it. Unless a skier services building is paid for like a community center/country club/religious building/football stadium, where members contribute to a building fund. I don't know if I personally would be able to afford it, but I would love to have a locker room/clubhouse at the mtn.

Tin Woodsman
04-06-2010, 01:43 PM

What's "IOW"?

of course, you are right, can't get rid of the old building without something to replace it. and without additional residential sales, there is no financing for it. Unless a skier services building is paid for like a community center/country club/religious building/football stadium, where members contribute to a building fund. I don't know if I personally would be able to afford it, but I would love to have a locker room/clubhouse at the mtn.

IOW = "In other words" Get hip to the lingo man!!

I think the old idea of the 30,000 sq ft skier services building serving all ages plus a cafeteria and a residential component is dead for good now that the plan is to have two separate buildings for the kids and adults. So it's really a moot issue to even discuss it. I personally think it's a mistake not to have an additional cafeteria type facility in the kids bldg that could serve as a base camp for the kids, their parents and the race programs, but I don't run the place. Without such a facility, you are stuck with VH or a choice of either adding such a space into the Phase III residential bldg or building something somewhere else. None of those seem like great options, but at least they'll have several years to evaluate it if they really want to keep VH. Watch out though - if the VH lodge ever gets added to some sort of list of historical buildings in the interim, the choice will be taken out of SB's hands.

MntMan4Bush
04-06-2010, 01:54 PM
How about turning the VH into a more family friendly apres environment Just a thought, but keep the cafeteria in there, reopen the mushroom bar and turn the Wonderbar into a game room for kids. Kids can run around, play video games etc, while parents can enjoy a few pops in the bar overlooking the base lodge. Kids are kept busy and are close by so parents aren't worried and can kick back and enjoy a few more. Then the CRP, which isn't exactly conducive to shorties running around at foot level, can be more of an adults only scene. Slap in a magic carpet up there from the bottom of that building for the really lazy or those who have multiple kids in tow and you have a functioning environment that's easy to get to and meets a need that is currently not being fulfilled. If there's extra space add the lockers and a club room. I think it has potential and I'd hate to see it torn down.

While I'm tossing ideas out like midgets in an Australian bar how about making the deck outside Timbers a bit larger? I know that the patio outside CRP is opened up, but it doesn't exactly have the best view. Widen up the section outside Timbers. I always see people crammed out there on warm days or sitting on the stone wall. If there was a decent size space you could put more chairs out there, tables, and maybe some propane heaters to extend the outdoor drinking range.

HowieT2
04-06-2010, 01:55 PM

What's "IOW"?

IOW = "In other words" Get hip to the lingo man!!

I think the old idea of the 30,000 sq ft skier services building serving all ages plus a cafeteria and a residential component is dead for good now that the plan is to have two separate buildings for the kids and adults. So it's really a moot issue to even discuss it. I personally think it's a mistake not to have an additional cafeteria type facility in the kids bldg that could serve as a base camp for the kids, their parents and the race programs, but I don't run the place. Without such a facility, you are stuck with VH or a choice of either adding such a space into the Phase III residential bldg or building something somewhere else. None of those seem like great options, but at least they'll have several years to evaluate it if they really want to keep VH. Watch out though - if the VH lodge ever gets added to some sort of list of historical buildings in the interim, the choice will be taken out of SB's hands.

Oh Snap! my brain isn't functioning.

I don't know what the growth rates are in skier visits and youth programs, but from my observations they appear significant over the last 3 years. If that continues and there is every reason to believe it will (heck if this recession didn't put a dent into it, what will?), an additional building will be necessary.

shadyjay
04-06-2010, 02:30 PM
I wonder if its possible to extend VH down the mtn, while keeping the majority of the lodge. It would most likely involve removing the Mountain Ops/old gondola terminal area, a few of the offices, cutting/regrading a little bit, etc, but you could possibly save the majority of it.

Perhaps the terminal could be right outside today's mountain ops and the line may have to go to the right of the present a little bit, which may require (gasp) a little widening of the bottom of the Mall. Hmmmm....

See http://picasaweb.google.com/shadyjayvt/Snowboarding0809SugarbushVT#5314344511629230834 for the area I'm talking about!

summitchallenger
04-06-2010, 04:07 PM
How about turning the VH into a more family friendly apres environment Just a thought, but keep the cafeteria in there, reopen the mushroom bar and turn the Wonderbar into a game room for kids. Kids can run around, play video games etc, while parents can enjoy a few pops in the bar overlooking the base lodge. Kids are kept busy and are close by so parents aren't worried and can kick back and enjoy a few more. Then the CRP, which isn't exactly conducive to shorties running around at foot level, can be more of an adults only scene. Slap in a magic carpet up there from the bottom of that building for the really lazy or those who have multiple kids in tow and you have a functioning environment that's easy to get to and meets a need that is currently not being fulfilled. If there's extra space add the lockers and a club room. I think it has potential and I'd hate to see it torn down.

While I'm tossing ideas out like midgets in an Australian bar how about making the deck outside Timbers a bit larger? I know that the patio outside CRP is opened up, but it doesn't exactly have the best view. Widen up the section outside Timbers. I always see people crammed out there on warm days or sitting on the stone wall. If there was a decent size space you could put more chairs out there, tables, and maybe some propane heaters to extend the outdoor drinking range.

FWIW there used to be a Magic Carpet from the base area to Valley House during the ASC years.

And IMHO a bar is not a place for kids to be anyway.

shadyjay
04-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Ladies and gentleman, the ticket booth is outta here....

http://tweetphoto.com/17410684

MntMan4Bush
04-07-2010, 08:38 AM
Does anyone ever give IMDO? For those playing that's a dishonest opinion. If so what would be the point? Just curious.

So here's a solution. Don't bring your kids into the bar. But as I've read from a number of people who have kids they sometimes enjoy an adult beverage after a day of skiing and dragging them into the CRP which is tightly packed and people pushing and shoving is not the best option. That leaves them drinking in the cafeteria which looks like a lot of fun......... What I was suggesting was having a building that has kids entertainment (i.e. video games or something, etc) in the same building but not necessarily the same room. That way parents can have a beer and little Johnny and Susy can be entertained in a safe environment close at hand.

But hey I don't even have kids so IMHAHOIJTTFASFSPBIRDGARA Come on!!! Everyone knows that one. In my honest and humble opinion I'm just trying to find a solution for some people but I really don't give a rat's ass.

HowieT2
04-07-2010, 09:25 AM
Does anyone ever give IMDO? For those playing that's a dishonest opinion. If so what would be the point? Just curious.

So here's a solution. Don't bring your kids into the bar. But as I've read from a number of people who have kids they sometimes enjoy an adult beverage after a day of skiing and dragging them into the CRP which is tightly packed and people pushing and shoving is not the best option. That leaves them drinking in the cafeteria which looks like a lot of fun......... What I was suggesting was having a building that has kids entertainment (i.e. video games or something, etc) in the same building but not necessarily the same room. That way parents can have a beer and little Johnny and Susy can be entertained in a safe environment close at hand.

But hey I don't even have kids so IMHAHOIJTTFASFSPBIRDGARA Come on!!! Everyone knows that one. In my honest and humble opinion I'm just trying to find a solution for some people but I really don't give a rat's ass.

Agree. I do have kids and there is no other place for them to go, if we want to have a beer/food at the end of the day.

summitchallenger
04-07-2010, 09:39 AM

More or less I was agreeing with you because I think there should be an option.

MntMan4Bush
04-07-2010, 10:40 AM
TYVM :wink:

shadyjay
04-07-2010, 05:01 PM
TYVM :wink:

Alright, really confused now!

Update - 4/7:
The small red "barn" adjacent to the former ticket booth (adult lessons bldg?) is now gone.

ThinkSno
04-08-2010, 02:53 PM

More or less I was agreeing with you because I think there should be an option.

There is an option: If you have kids don't drink & If you drink, don't have kids. Simple.

Lostone
04-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Valley Reporter story. (http://www.valleyreporter.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3108&ac=0&Itemid=38) But it sure loaded slooowly, for me. :?

EXskier
04-09-2010, 09:40 AM

Ouch please don't turn the Wunderbar into a play room. The Wunderbar is still my favorite bar. Its on the mountain, has nice views of the mountain, has very few kids, and has a small but nice deck. I personally can't stand the Castle Rock Pub. Who wants to cram into a dark basement after a beautiful day of skiing? And yes technically it is a walk out basement so don't tell me its not. I am really happy to hear the Valley House will stick around for awhile and it wouldn't take much to make it a litle nicer.

MntMan4Bush
04-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Fair enough EX. I guess my post was more about the fact that there is potential for another kind of apres experience that is not being met at this time. My buddy was reminiscing how his family would go skiing, get some apps in the bar and hang out some. They'd feed him a couple dollars at a time to go play games so he'd have to come back every so often to get more. It created a regular check in with the adults situation. It just seemed like a good idea and something lacking. So whether they turn the Wunderbar, Mushroom, offices, caf space or storage space into this it doesn't matter to me.

win
04-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Here's a new rumor. I heard they might move the Wunderbar down to the old Mushroom space?

shadyjay
04-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Today, my last day of the season, I went into the "sprung" structure for the very first and last time to help out with demo/cleaning up/loading up. Demos almost done inside - look for it to most likely fall soon. The 45th Anniversary gondola has been moved to the upper plaza.

The status of the interim village has changed dramatically in the past few days - from a fully functional unit last weekend to a fraction of its former self today. I really can't wait to see the finished project in the fall.

Tin Woodsman
04-10-2010, 02:54 AM
Here's a new rumor. I heard they might move the Wunderbar down to the old Mushroom space?

That's the problem with this place. Too many unsubstantiated rumors from crackpots on the Internet hiding behind fictional names.

Oh, wait...

Xskier
04-12-2010, 09:34 AM

I always thought that space was under utilized even before Phaze 1. Not sure how I would feel if the wunderbar was moved there.. I still like to be able to look up the mountain, but I would give the mushroom bar a chance as long as there is enough room and you could still access the Wunderbar area and the deck and be able to drink beers there...???

shadyjay
04-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Remember when?

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LdJssxlEuTQ/S8PUozXmDWI/AAAAAAAAKlg/9xaPGvfPkKU/s912/base%20area-asc%20years.jpg

This is when the era of temporary buildings in the base area started, c 1995 when ASC began its transformation of the base area. Note several buildings which were later destined to become part of the interim village. I still miss the clock tower.

We've come a long way!

ski_resort_observer
04-12-2010, 11:59 PM
The above pic is from 1998/1999. The The Cape Cod building to the right of the entrance to Gatehouse is the Season Pass Office and was moved there from it's location bottom left of the Gatehouse base area in 1998 when it was the Grand Summit Hotel Sales Office. Once they dropped the idea of building the Grand Summit Hotel had to utilize and move it somewhere.

Also the balloon extension room you can see on the right side of Gate House and behind the Season Pass building was put in by ASC in 1998. The Interim Village wasn't put together until the beginning of the the construction phase of the new LP base area a few years after Win et al bought the Bush.

The "red barn" building isn't exactly gone as it currently parked behind CB1.

The clocktower was really cool, here is a pic during New Years Eve fireworks in 1996 when they were shot from the area which is now parking lot section D just above the CB1 building.

http://www.snowjournal.com/images/gallery_snowjournal/4b3c13644cbe9.jpg

win
04-13-2010, 06:31 AM
Nice rememberance. I believe hese temporary buildings were put in by ASC in this location. We moved them to the Interim Village as was said when we built Clay Brook and the new Gate House lodge which were finished in December 2006. We gave the green house to Habit for Humanity in 2005 and they completed a renovation and it is now the home a family in Warren. The Red School house was moved behind CB-1 and is being used for storage, and the white ticket building which we built in the summer of 2005 has been stored behind the SHARC and will be used somewhere one day. Say goodbye to the Sprung. It starts coming down today and will be sold. It served its purpose well.

Lostone
04-13-2010, 08:00 AM
I knew that pic was after 98. I bought my condo in March of 98 and I was hiking in the off season when I saw the building of the tent.

Also, they might be hidden by the bottom-right of the pic, but the GE trailers might have been there, or might have been put in early. Pretty sure the Magic Carpet was just beyond the bottom-left.

shadyjay
04-13-2010, 11:28 AM
The carpet is in the wider view, I tried to get a good overall of the base and this was from a video I recorded on my computer that plays regularly on RSN at 10:40 and 3:40... its at the end of the Skiing in Vermont history video, which no longer has flat music.

Fourwide
04-14-2010, 01:10 PM
I remember night sledding down the hill below Valley House into the old courtyard in front of the lodge. The owners banned sledding sometime before the new construction commenced. Probably a sensible decision, but the sledding was fun! The statue of Allyn's dad was in front of the red building.

shadyjay
04-15-2010, 10:38 AM
Update 4/15: The sprung structure is starting to come down.