PDA

View Full Version : Damage Report

summitchallenger
03-23-2010, 07:09 AM
It poured all night at my place on Lake Dunmore. The rivers are over their banks in many places. Roger Hill said 1.7 inches of r^&* at his place in Worcester :( Any first hand reports of how things are looking at the mountain?

muddy_hollow
03-23-2010, 07:18 AM
If the web cam at MRG is any indication, swiss cheese is on the menu.......

John Walden
03-23-2010, 08:19 AM
I assumed we have lost some trails at this point?

HowieT2
03-23-2010, 12:08 PM
Is it snowing now?

shadyjay
03-23-2010, 12:34 PM
From my present vantage point on my computer overlooking Village Run, I can't see the upper mountain at all, but from a quick cruise by the base, things looked okay. For the past several days, Out to Lunch has more brown than white, and as I stare out to VR, I see about the same, though maybe the traverse portion is okay, before the 90 deg turn.
All Upper Mountain lifts are closed for the day. Not sure how the Rock will fair from all this. Streams and rivers throughout the Valley are gushing pretty heavily.

Weather: light drizzle falling, 42 deg, again just above the base area. Not sure 'bout top of the mountain.
Forecast for later this week: COLD!

slatham
03-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Sorry to say way too far away for first hand info, but from the MRG web this PM:

"It rained pretty darn hard but the temps remained relatively cold so damage to the base was minimized so we should be be OK especially if we get a turnover to snow tonight as expected. It has been raining off and on for the past 24 hours or so and we have experienced icing on the upper reaches of the mountain (the line was between towers 18 & 19 on the Single - mid-Chute on up). All things considered the snowpack is standing up pretty well."

There's also a chance of some snow tonight/tomorrow, which if oragraphically enhanced could be enough to be helpful (4"+).

Need to watch storm to south and artic front for Thur/Fri. Gonna get cold, so it better snow.

Something again to watch early next week?

I am due for my final ski trip to the 'Bush for Easter so I am hoping it dumps next week, is cold and snowy for a day, then gets sunny and warm. Oh, and I find the golden egg :wink:

Lostone
03-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Well, I got out today, after taking yesterday off. (4th day this year.)

Things were... solid. :shock: It has been really warm. Then we had on and off rain, for 2 days and then it got cold. Same comment, above, from MRG, about the snowpack not being hurt, likely applies.

Only Gatehouse and Castlerock were open.

Where Gatehouse had been groomed, it was quite good. If you wandered to an area that had not been groomed, you were immediately alerted to that fact. Heard a gaggle of ALC instructors going down Sleeper, which had not been groomed... from the lift. Waterfall and Pushover Chute were so... inviting. :shock:

I didn't even think of going over to Castlerock.

Tomorrow should be much better, with temps around 50°. Then, I hope we get some snow, tomorrow night, because Friday is supposed to drop down, again.

Weekend is looking better, at this point.

Lostone
03-26-2010, 10:43 AM
So I went out yesterday and... it skied really well. After the cold and rain, it had warmed, and the snow was soft and actually back to sticky.

Lower Birdland was much more sparse than it had been, but was still not only passable, but getting a bit of traffic. (It was better than it was before the big snow.) Castlerock was closed, but from Bravo, it looked... like Castlerock in late March. :wink:

Today?... Well, I'm sitting here typing, so... Word on the radio is firm. Tomorrow goes back to the warm side, after a very cold night. And sunny, too. Should be a good weekend.

win
03-26-2010, 12:01 PM
I was in Toronto on Tuesday and didn't return until late Wednesday, so I was expecting the worst. After almost 2 inches of rain I was expecting Castlerock, Sunrise, The Mall and a number of others at both mountains to be history for the season. However, we have remained 100% open. iT WAS A COLD RAIN! The grooming Wednesday night was A+ and as temps came up yesterday even Stein's by afternoon had softened up. It was cold last night and is cold today so the snow firmed up, but we did get 3-4" of dry light powder from mid mountain up. Tonight will be single digits up top but the temperatures are forecasted to be at least mid-thirties at the base tomorrow with only light wind and sunny. Sunday is looking good too with warmer temperatures. I would definitely plan to be out on the Mountain.

We have our regular winter hours through Sunday. On Monday lifts open at 10am on weekdays and 9am on weekends and we will keep Bravo running each day from 4pm to 5pm until Lincoln Peak ultimately closes on >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>? Still a lot of great skiing and riding left.