PDA

View Full Version : Deleted

atkinson
03-17-2010, 10:45 PM
"Sugarbush ... where skiers ski the world" is not an approved message for SKIMrv. SKIM the cream!

Pick just about any serious ski town in North America and you'll find someone with connections to the Mad River Valley. I'm in Utah and besides the fact that former Sugarbush employees Matt and Laura are hosting me for few days, I also met another old fan.

I'm here on an educational mission. At the first meeting for the AMGA Guide Course, which was in the U of U Recreation Program building, the group did short intros to help get to know each other. Afterwards, one of the student employees came up and said that he skied at Sugarbush. His smile got wider, "I was a Blazer and Diamond Dog. Dave N. and Myles K. were my coaches in Blazers and Doug N. was in charge of DD."

Matt, Laura and Parker say hi to everyone!

I could tell you a bunch more stories about random Valley connections, but I think Dan Egan's recent quote from the 2010 Vancouver Olympics says it best. "Sugarbush ... where skiers ski the world."

John

win
03-18-2010, 09:39 AM
A few years ago, I was skiing in thick fog over in the Mayflower area of Deer Valley with my kids, and I thought we had the slopes to ourselves until I came upon a ski instructor and a student. We stopped and said hello and I noticed that in addition to his Deer Valley uniform he had a name tag from Sugarbush. It was Chip Nicholas, a long time resident of the Valley and instructor here. I am told that he always wore that name tag even though he had relocated to Park City. Unfortunately, Chip passed away two years ago, but a wonderful memorial service was held here two summers ago, and I also saw his wife when I was at Deer Valley in January, and she was so nice and welcoming to our family while we were there. There really are a lot of connections to the MRV out there.

atkinson
03-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Hello everyone!

The AMGA course has been really challenging, fun and tiring. Ten to twelve hours a day, plus homework and preparation is a lot. On top of all the learning, I've gotten to ski some big lines that I've looked at for years, like Gobbler's Knob and Wolverine Cirque. Tomorrow we are shooting for Superior. The pics and video should be cool!

Back on topic ... I just got off the phone with Dylan Crossman, another MRV local who spends his winters out here now. Dylan has won a bunch of serious freeskiing competitions. The Freesking World Championship was this past weekend at Snowbird and I asked him how he did. "I made it to the Super Finals, but fell after a back flip, so came in 11th. But Lars won!" Lars Chickering Ayres is the son of John Ayres, Patrol Director at MRG.

By the way, the Castlerock Challenge is now a qualifying event for this comp. Rock on MRV!

othripper
03-27-2010, 04:51 PM
He was Chip Nicholas. A wonderful man, and a part of Sugarbush.

Mike

atkinson
04-01-2010, 01:16 PM
deleted

vonski
04-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Sweet video John! Leaving soon!

HowieT2
04-01-2010, 02:31 PM
The first video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrMCba49YVg) is up now ... more later on Sugartube.

On a local note, the turns are amazing right now. Sunshine, sweet snow and smiles, what more info do you need? Get up here!

John

It is just not right that I read this and watch that video from a desk in my office. You are lucky man, John.