PDA

View Full Version : Gonna be an ugly day, today!

Lostone
03-16-2010, 08:08 AM
38° @ 9:00? Blue sky? Bright yellow thing in the sky?

Sunscreen strongly recommended. 8)

shadyjay
03-16-2010, 04:02 PM
And the rest of the week looks just as ugly :wink:

8)

John Walden
03-16-2010, 04:25 PM
Shady Jay- You didn't get all the rain that we did on Sunday , did you? What a difference a day makes! Friday was a great day on the mountain. My wife and I did about 20-25 runs. I had friends up for the weekend and unfortunately Saturday was one of the worst days this season. We all left for home Sunday morning because of the forecast. Looking forward to some real spring skiing this week. Have to go out to LA next week on business.

summitchallenger
03-16-2010, 07:00 PM
Gotta agree with the assessment for last Saturday--worst day of the season. The snowreporters were way off on that one.

shadyjay
03-16-2010, 07:56 PM
We did get some rain, but not really enough to dampen the spirits of our guests, or put a dent in the coverage. Saturday we remained cloudy (and windy) but dry - the sun never really came out and that kept things quite firm. Sunday morning it was a mix of rain & snow, then a break for an hour or so, then some light rain at the base but heard it was mostly all snow from just shy of the top of Bravo, up, albeit a very wet snow. The rain probably got to around the light-moderate range but not for long, it was mostly a light rain, just enough to keep things nice n' damp (and to give the scanners a chore). The plus side was everyone coming down saying how good the snow was. Fog hung around all day, coming down 1/2 way down Bravo or so.

After riding at Mt Ellen today, coverage over there is about 98%,... even the open exposure of Upper Lookin' Good only had one small hole in it, easily avoidable. The Cliffs looked really well covered, as did all other upper-mtn trails. Lower mtn was also good, though the snow was much softer. Semi-Tough was a dream today, having been groomed earlier in the week/over the weekend. When a natural snow like that can be groomed and still have good coverage, you know there's quite a bit of snow up there.

Lostone
03-16-2010, 08:47 PM
Well, it turned out to be as bad as I thunk.

The snow was (mostly) soft, the sun remained out and the sky was a dark blue.

I really think the skiing was better, yesterday. There was no sticky snow and everything was soft.

But the skiing was still really good today, and being out on the mountain on a day like today... 8)

I agree with Jay's assessment of the r#^n, on Sunday. I heard it was quite heavy down south, so we likely got a lot less than some of y'all.

I don't think Saturday was the worst of the season. (I've skied a lot of days. :wink: ) But I do agree it wasn't close to being one of best. I quit early, but found Gatehouse was still skiing quite well, as I headed in.

Looks like we'll have to put up with another like today, tomorrow. 8)

vonski
03-16-2010, 09:12 PM
I skied Saturday, Sure it was hard and fast andDeathspout was nice as it got skied in. Gatehouse side was nice. More of a Groomer day. However, Moonshine was Fabulous after 2 pm.

djd66
03-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Saturday was Not the worst day of the season. I made the call to head over on the SBX to north, if you stayed off the top - away from the wind, the snow was very nice. When we came back over to south after a few hours, the snow had softened up and the skiing was very good. Was it the same conditions of the weekend before, no way, BUT we dodged the 3-5 inches of season ending rain they had down south. I was on the hill skiing with my family, that was not the worst day of the season for sure. For me the keg was half full.

Fishwife
03-17-2010, 08:21 AM
NO< Saturday was not the absolute worst day of the season!!!! The snow definitely got better as the day went on and chopped up by skiers and the temp rose in the afternoon. Moonshine was good enough for repeat runs...........If you were dressed for Sunday , it was a GREAT day!! Honestly, the snow up top was soft, not slushy, and by 1:00 the mountain was empty. And by 4:00, I had it all to myself. 8)

John Walden
03-17-2010, 02:21 PM
My friends that were up for last Saturday had just returned from Alta/Snowbird so you can realize why the comments. I did however heard it was better later in the day. We quit early and went to Wunderbar for Hopie's signature BM's and then to CR , and then..........................

win
03-17-2010, 08:15 PM
Yesterday and today were a ten in my opinion. Some of the nicest Spring moguls I have skied.

Lostone
03-17-2010, 08:32 PM
I have some neighbors in my condo building that took this week off, for vacation. They said, today, that they couldn't believe their luck. 8)

shadyjay
03-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Couldn't agree more...

... made it back to Castlerock one more time and found nice soft bumps on Castlerock Run and LCR.
... Ripcord was riding beautifully
... smell of BBQs and the sounds of music blasting from almost every lift
... smiles and shouts all around

I'm glad I had these past 2 days off and got a chance to fully enjoy the mountain. From Mt Ellen on Tuesday to LP today, it was a great "weekend".

Lostone
03-20-2010, 08:08 AM
And still another one! :shock:

If you like spring skiing, this has been the week! I don't remember another one with this many warm and sunny days in a row. 8)

John Walden
03-21-2010, 06:25 PM
Great day on the mountain yesterday; great crowds . Heaven's Gate was busy,but quite manageable with Shady Jay running the show. Ripcord was fantastic. Today was challenging first thing until things thawed out. Last week I commented on Saturday and got my share of criticism for it. So, I was patient today and waited until around noon when things improved. It was great seeing the mountain full yesterday even at 5pm it was still rocking!

shadyjay
03-21-2010, 07:28 PM
Great day on the mountain yesterday; great crowds . Heaven's Gate was busy,but quite manageable with Shady Jay running the show.

Thanks, John, but I do have considerable help with the show - its a collaborative effort between the 3 of us, and a supervisor did lend a hand assisting with the crowd control.

Today, the popular phrase in the morning was something on the lines of "a far cry from yesterday". My day started out with a firm run down Downspout at 7:45, 26 degree temp at the bottom of HG at 8am, some snow of varying textures and intensities falling from the sky, and then, miraculously, it warmed up to the 50s and the sun came out and the snow softened. While we got some comments as to why we were waxing our boards in the morning, that move was welcomed by 4pm with a high speed romp down Lower Downspout to Coffee Run.

And it looks like after a couple days of some NCP, winter will make a comeback at the end of the week with (at least) some cold, which should help out with the grooming a little better.

Lostone
03-21-2010, 08:42 PM
Patience certainly paid off, today. Spent a little more time on Gatehouse than normally. Wandered over to Bravo, Only had one run before the Dummy Big Air. Took Snowball, which I'd been told was solid. Didn't think it was too bad.

Watched the Dummies, had lunch, then went out for just a few more. Started back down Snowball, again. It was really nice. Lower Organgrinder? Nice again.

Suddenly, a ski day broke out.

Got on the last lift right at 4:00. 8)

I'd like to complain that my ski in - ski out has been badly broken, this week.

But what a week! :D

shadyjay
03-21-2010, 09:50 PM
I'd like to complain that my ski in - ski out has been badly broken, this week.

But what a week! :D

I saw that when I was leaving this afternoon as well. And even if I did ride back to my condo from the top of Gate House via Village Run, there'd be a few "technical" spots to get around.

But you really couldn't beat the weather we had last week... just would've been nicer to have it a couple of weeks later. But its not over yet!