PDA

View Full Version : suggestion/request

aejkb
03-03-2010, 07:37 PM
The views from the summits of Mount Ellen and Lincoln Peak are oftentimes breathtaking, as they were on Sunday. I just wish I knew which distant mountains were which (I assume others are in the same boat) and was wondering if Win (or the powers that be) could be prevailed upon to have Sandy Macy's photos made into a panoramic sign up there that identifies the various peaks?

Strat
03-03-2010, 08:03 PM
One of those might look nice on the giant fence on Panorama or on the deck at South, as long as they're tastefully done and don't look too flashy. The only thing is they'd probably get covered with windblown snow and rime ice because of general summit weather.

castlerock
03-04-2010, 07:41 AM
Come on, seriously.
Get a map and learn to read it..
Maybe they should put up a hand rail to get to the true summit of LP too?

djd66
03-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Come on, seriously.
Get a map and learn to read it..
Maybe they should put up a hand rail to get to the true summit of LP too?

Easy there Castle Rock,.... what is wrong with posting a map near the peak pointing out things of interest??? I like to know what I'm looking at too,... and my guess is most people that go to the top of the mountain and look around at the scenery don't have topo maps in their back packs.

win
03-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Good idea!

bill-now
03-04-2010, 06:12 PM
I miss the map rolls that were on the safety bar of the Slide Brook chair.

John Walden
03-05-2010, 07:51 AM
Those map rolls were silly. What are we going to have, sign boards like in the shopping malls, "you are standing here"?

bill-now
03-05-2010, 08:35 AM
How else would I know where I'm standing? My GPS is an older model which doesn't work indoors.

Lostone
03-05-2010, 09:10 AM
I, also liked the tubes on the Slidebrook lift.

And you wouldn't believe how many times I get asked where certain mountains are, when near the top of either peak. Good thing is that if they don't know... you can tell them anything. "Really??? I didn't know you could see Everest from here!" :lol:

I would vote for a separate handout, were it to be like the trail maps or something sold in the Adventure Gear shop for a few bucks.

I also encourage people to take the trip over to North, to take in the view. I think it is one of the best in New England.

Strat
03-05-2010, 09:30 AM
On a good day at North (South too, but it's better at North) you can see the highest peaks in 3 states, something I always found super cool.

Google Earth is fantastic for investigating the local, less well-known hills, especially in the Valley... something I've spent enough time doing that I now consider myself one of the foremost authorities in such things, at least in terms of ability to point at and name hills.

vonski
03-05-2010, 10:36 AM
How about an ambassador with a big map on top of each peak on Bluebird days. They could be called the peak identifiers or some other name. Strat maybe you could do the training. :D

Long Island Boarder
03-06-2010, 09:14 AM
I will never forget the first time I saw the view from North, I was fortunate to be there on a clear day and it was absolutely amazing.

Hardbooter
03-12-2010, 03:56 PM
I think having an ambassador on top of bravo has been great. On clear days it's worth sticking one on top of summit and heavens gate. Why mess with maps that would get covered with snow and ice? SB's customer service is excellent so why use a plastic map when an actual person would be even better.

walks
03-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Put the Map of the mountains on the back of the trail map.

I use to see more pieces of the tube maps on the ground under the lift than on it. I'm getting old and it makes it harder to read from that distance.