PDA

View Full Version : Re: Weather 2/15

HowieT2
02-13-2010, 09:04 PM
Is it a mirage? is there actually snow in the forecast? I figured it's been so long, it deserves it's own thread.

shadyjay
02-13-2010, 10:14 PM
AMEN!!!!! BRING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(even though if it comes Tuesday, I will only ride it that one run, but maybe, just maybe, it'll stick to the ramp better than the granular we got now)

John Walden
02-14-2010, 07:13 PM
I told you all ; be patient it's coming! I had friends at Jackson Hole last week; tons of powder. Same week friends at Winter Park; saw 5 inches all week. Strange winter.

vonski
02-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Lets hope this storm blows up soon cause it looks to be dying on the radar. :shock: :roll:

gostan
02-16-2010, 01:50 PM
Lets hope this storm blows up soon cause it looks to be dying on the radar. :shock: :roll:It is snowing nicely down here west of Boston. Here is hoping it pushes into MRV! :arrow:

vonski
02-16-2010, 02:30 PM
Lets hope this storm blows up soon cause it looks to be dying on the radar. :shock: :roll:It is snowing nicely down here west of Boston. Here is hoping it pushes into MRV! :arrow:
Getting there painfully slow. watching the radar, snowing good again just outside Hartford CT.

John Walden
02-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Been dumping most of the afternoon here west of beantown. Hopefully it moves northward.

Benski
02-17-2010, 10:53 PM
Did it snow yet?

shadyjay
02-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Did it snow yet?

On and off snow showers for the past few days unfortunately amounted to a dusting or so... :(

A fellow lifty called it on the accumulation front... 0-5" he predicted. It was snowing moderately when we left HG on Tuesday, but an hour or so later, it had ceased. And it was about that time when I got a call from a friend in CT saying it had been snowing for the past 12+ hours.

Honestly, what do we need to do to get it to snow HERE???

Colorado Dirt
02-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Did it snow yet?

On and off snow showers for the past few days unfortunately amounted to a dusting or so... :(

A fellow lifty called it on the accumulation front... 0-5" he predicted. It was snowing moderately when we left HG on Tuesday, but an hour or so later, it had ceased. And it was about that time when I got a call from a friend in CT saying it had been snowing for the past 12+ hours.

Whats up Jay. I'm the guy that asked you where you got your nickname (red camo jacket).

My proposed solution considering forecast models are now giving us a the potential for a major event coming up this week:

Especially since:
Begging for it hasn't worked
Snow dancing has been less than effective
optimism has come back to bite us
and the powers that be have clear intention on not giving us what we want this season

I think we should try a good ol' pessimistic reverse psychology. So when snow comes up in conversation this week, just say you've written off this winter and am really looking forward to a warm spring and fishing. Actually, I'm pretty sick of the cold weather.. or something like that. Maybe we'll get "spited"

HowieT2
02-21-2010, 09:39 PM
Did it snow yet?

Whats up Jay. I'm the guy that asked you where you got your nickname (red camo jacket).

My proposed solution considering forecast models are now giving us a the potential for a major event coming up this week:

Especially since:
Begging for it hasn't worked
Snow dancing has been less than effective
optimism has come back to bite us
and the powers that be have clear intention on not giving us what we want this season

I think we should try a good ol' pessimistic reverse psychology. So when snow comes up in conversation this week, just say you've written off this winter and am really looking forward to a warm spring and fishing. Actually, I'm pretty sick of the cold weather.. or something like that. Maybe we'll get "spited"

I don't know about what will be this week, but the skiing the last few days has been great. now I have to go get a live chicken to slaughter...

John Walden
02-22-2010, 08:17 AM
Shady- Keep the current forecast coming the next few days. I have relatives up this week and hoping the mountain cooperates for them. I heard Friday was a bear of a day!

Right now I am planning on mid week should or could be epic!

shadyjay
02-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Today couldn't have been a nicer day on the hill... temps in the 30s at mid mountain and the sun was out. The snow was soft and a lot of fun and the holiday crowds are behind us... that means very nice midweek ski-right-on-the-lift conditions. Now looking to what's ahead, I've checked Accuweather and they are saying 2-3 feet possible, between Tuesday and the time it wraps up sometime Saturday. However the WIND word is mentioned several times, but temps are forecasted to be in the 30s. So we may be looking at a "wetter" snow, but snow nevertheless. And a plus for me... a wetter snow won't blow into the woods as much (I'm a trail-rider, not so much the woods), and it'll stick to my ramps even better. Of course the downside is that it makes shoveling more difficult. But you never know what will happen. I'm remaining very optimistic that we get "something substantial".

I have sacrificed one thing in the name of snow... my VOICE. Perhaps it was all those times I said "Two and a Single", or all the great people I've talked to in the past week. I hope the next time I talk to many of you, we'll all be enjoying the bounties of a late Feb storm.

Until then, I'll do my best on weather reporting and continue my snow dancing... just no snow singing!

win
02-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Check this out:

Issued by The National Weather Service
Burlington, VT
11:12 am EST, Tue., Feb. 23, 2010

... WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 1 AM EST THURSDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR SNOW ACROSS CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN VERMONT... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 1 AM EST THURSDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* 8 TO 14 INCHES OF SNOW IS EXPECTED ACROSS CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN VERMONT...

noski
02-23-2010, 05:09 PM
Check this out:

Issued by The National Weather Service
Burlington, VT
11:12 am EST, Tue., Feb. 23, 2010

... WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 1 AM EST THURSDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR SNOW ACROSS CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN VERMONT... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 1 AM EST THURSDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* 8 TO 14 INCHES OF SNOW IS EXPECTED ACROSS CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN VERMONT...

Sorry, Boss, but I am still ignoring the forecast. I will not have my hopes dashed yet again, so turning my back (ok, maybe peeking around my shoulder ever so slightly.....) ;-)

John Walden
02-23-2010, 05:42 PM
Win- Finally what we been waiting for! The end of the week could be epic proportions!

Treeskier
02-23-2010, 05:56 PM
so what's on the ground now?

Lostone
02-23-2010, 06:09 PM
so what's on the ground now?

SNOW !!!! :D

Snowed on and off thru the morning. (Mostly on) Then it picked up in the afternoon... and continues.

Can't give amounts, as I'm not good at that, but it is... nice. 8)

sgottmann
02-23-2010, 06:30 PM
Win- Finally what we been waiting for! The end of the week could be epic proportions!

THE GOOD NEWS -- Snow totals just increased to 15-25 throught tomorrow (with more to come).

Tonight: Snow, mainly after 7pm. Low around 20. Southeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

Wednesday: Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 25. Light east wind. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 10 to 14 inches possible.

Wednesday Night: Snow, mainly before 1am. Low around 21. Light east wind. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

THE POTENTIAL BAD NEWS -- don't look at Thursday.

Fishwife
02-23-2010, 06:40 PM
Obviously my human sacrifice was responsible for the pow about to hit...........have fun all you "bushies", I'll be thinking of you during my knee rehab sessions :(

shadyjay
02-23-2010, 07:42 PM
Snowed pretty hard this morning, let up from 10-2, then snowed pretty hard from 2-close. Still snowing pretty good out there, Channel 5 said the heaviest is moving from south to north. Wednesday could be really good!

Plowboy
02-24-2010, 12:40 AM
:D :D :D OH YEA :!: :!: :!:

HowieT2
02-24-2010, 08:25 AM
can we flatlanders get some love? snow report? pics? hello, Mcfly!

noski
02-24-2010, 08:51 AM
http://www.madrivervalley.com/vermont/webcam/index.asp

Best I can do from my desk. A little on the heavy side, but certainly not cement. More up higher. At 1750' this morning it was about 12" and navigable.

John Walden
02-24-2010, 08:51 AM
Thanks guys for the report. My nephew sent me a photo from the deck at Sugarbush Inn this morning. Looked awesome. Hopefully the end of the week is all snow.

vonski
02-24-2010, 09:46 AM
Finally, the Warren Store covered in snow! That is nice to see. Snow in the Valley not just on the hill. Hopefully, the drive up Friday will not be too bad. But if it is who cares. The promise land awaits!

HowieT2
02-24-2010, 09:58 AM
http://www.madrivervalley.com/vermont/webcam/index.asp

Best I can do from my desk. A little on the heavy side, but certainly not cement. More up higher. At 1750' this morning it was about 12" and navigable.

Thank you.

win
02-24-2010, 11:41 AM
More than two feet and it is still coming! What a great morning. Pulled my calf muscle yesterday and discovered that one doesn't need a calf muscle to ski! Nice trivia for anyone who doesn't know this already. Doc told me to "take it easy" today, so I am only skiing the powder.

HowieT2
02-24-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm giddy looking at the radar at my desk. Looks like major dumpage. Mother nature clearing out 2 months worth of precipitation constipation.

Strat
02-24-2010, 03:07 PM
I'm giddy looking at the radar at my desk. Looks like major dumpage. Mother nature clearing out 2 months worth of precipitation constipation.

Really nice way of putting that, Howie.

John Walden
02-24-2010, 03:10 PM
Howie- I couldn't of said it better myself!

Treeskier
02-24-2010, 04:43 PM
My son call at lunch and said it was knee to waist deep in and around Castlerock!

Get this air boot off and get me in to my ski boots...Only can wish!

Looks like more feet of snow to come!

Fourwide
02-24-2010, 05:46 PM
...but NWS just changed tomorrow's forecast to all snow (eastern upslope cooling effect, or some such thing), with some heavy winds (especially on the western downslope).

Hawk
02-25-2010, 07:38 AM
You know I like to be positive but the reality is that this storm is a monster. This morning the forecasts are all in good agreement that the is going to be a good push of warm associated with this system. The low is going to back up to NYC and that is not a good location. I am hoping that the worst of it will be limited and the majority of what we got will be preserved. The bright side is that on the back of this we should get upslope for Friday and the weekend.

I am sure the mountain is preparing for this by rolling and packing all the new snow down so it is more durable against the upcomming onslaught.

Hope they are wrong.

Colorado Dirt
02-25-2010, 08:06 AM
You know I like to be positive but the reality is that this storm is a monster. This morning the forecasts are all in good agreement that the is going to be a good push of warm associated with this system. The low is going to back up to NYC and that is not a good location. I am hoping that the worst of it will be limited and the majority of what we got will be preserved. The bright side is that on the back of this we should get upslope for Friday and the weekend.

I am sure the mountain is preparing for this by rolling and packing all the new snow down so it is more durable against the upcomming onslaught.

Hope they are wrong.

I'm digging out in warren this morning, got it late and was pleased to see at least 3 feet of snow everywhere. It is on the heavier side but should ski just fine. See you guys out there

freeheel_skier
02-25-2010, 09:07 AM
Raining right now on German Flats in Fayston......

boze
02-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Any on-mountain intell for this AM's weather?
Snow report as of 1115a still notes power issues & delayed opening.
A day to earn one's turns for sure...hope that SnowCat is firing on all cylinders for you lucky folks.

atkinson
02-25-2010, 11:56 AM
It's been snowing in the base area most of the morning. A lot of the lifts are spinning too. No power issues currently.

John

muddy_hollow
02-25-2010, 12:14 PM
Crossing my fingers that SBs micro climate keeps the rain out.......

dance mother dance!

cumicon
02-25-2010, 12:44 PM
Currently raining at the base, super wet snow mid mountain.

freeheel_skier
02-25-2010, 02:25 PM
Wet Mixed bag....Very heavy to push around.

cumicon
02-25-2010, 03:11 PM
Back to a mix of rain and snow at the base.

cumicon
02-25-2010, 03:50 PM
Seems to be all snow now...

Hardbooter
02-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the reports. Let's hope it stays all snow for the rest of the night.

John Walden
02-25-2010, 05:03 PM
Dumping at North Lynx condos right now; has been since about 3pm.

Hardbooter
02-25-2010, 10:06 PM
We're getting the wind in MA right now at 10pm on Thursday. I think this part of the storm will be on top of the bush tomorrow. Hopefully, it keeps dumping. My board will cut through any windpack that we might get. It doesn't do so well with downed trees though. Let's hope it doesn't get that bad.

Xskier
02-26-2010, 12:02 AM
Pouring at the base an hour ago. Snow line is probably about 2000 feet

vonski
02-26-2010, 12:05 AM
still raining at base. but ocassional flake mixed in.

Colorado Dirt
02-26-2010, 12:45 PM
still raining at base. but ocassional flake mixed in.

just left the mountain, i forgot to bring my gravy for the mashed potatos so the flavor was a little bland. Its snowing nice light powder now with no mix. This could change everything

win
02-27-2010, 11:14 AM
Phenomenol this morning and if we get a few more inches tonight we will close in on 5 feet for the week and have a great Sunday of skiing and riding too!

Treeskier
02-28-2010, 08:34 AM
I have been skiing vicariously through all my fellow skiers adventures of the week. Sounds like yesterday, if you started up high you got great powder. As you got lower it was more wet. As typical, North faces were dryer. But as the day progressed and the good skier formed nice bump lines...the bumps became soft, skied in and dreamy. I asked each person what was their favorite run of the day. Each person thought for a second, usually a large smile followed, finishing with different answer. Which shows the whole MT skied well. Everyone had great stories.

I do have to laugh. Last week, Saturday apres ski I went and saw the Detonators at North. Just as they were finishing their last set everyone burst up and started to dance. I got up and did my one legged snow dance. So last night I went and saw them again at the Castlerock pub. Several of the fine ladies got me up to dance again and whispered good job last week on your snow dance. Even on one leg you need to do it again. Hopefully it works well for this week.