PDA

View Full Version : The Server is quenching my stoke

Brew Ski
01-27-2010, 07:07 PM
Just like during Festivus, I'm about to air a grievance.

While looking for a little stoke, I was trying to watch John A.'s most awesome video for Bush Pilot mission #263 (Found under adventures with John Egan). While watching a great stoke video the server keeps cutting out! Come on now, this is at least a 40% reduction in stoke factor.

Moreover, JA has pieced together a fabulous mix of the SNL skit with Christopher Walken demanding "More Cowbell" during the Blue Oyster Cult song "Don't fear the Reaper". Really, No one and I mean No One should stop CW demanding "More Cowbell" ! It is practically sacrilege.

JA puts a lot of time into his videos and they really make a lousy work week go by better, especially after some base reduction like Monday. He even puts in some Haiku's if you care to catch them.

He writes a Haiku
Not just for me but for you
Now that is talent.

Seriously, those of us not living in the mountains need some stoke, and the server pausing really reduces its effect. Get a better server, more speed, power, whatever it takes.

Aired Grievance complete!

atkinson
01-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the compliments and suggestion. Rest assured that Webmaster Jake is on it.

More stoke on the way today! Check out Egan's Theory of Gravitivity, Sugarbush Legend Mike Murphy, Lincoln Limo 1st Tracks and some new POV footie too.

John

p.s. The Cowbell montage was put together for the Coventry Phish shows and played on Radio Bunny throughout the fest. Needless to say, it has lived and prospered since then.

smootharc
01-28-2010, 11:29 AM
Rest assured that Webmaster Jake is on it.

...my understanding of servers is bigger IS better (and faster IS...um...faster). Time for a server that skis as fast as Egan Brutha down Liftline.

Yes, Brew, I have experienced the same Sugartube stoke buzzkill due to clips pausing midstream...and felt it was at least a 53% reduction on the stoke-o-meter.

The content is cool, and I think individuals would be more inclined to add their own stoke to the mix if the whole shebang worked at the speed of light...

Hardbooter
01-28-2010, 03:34 PM
I suggest putting the videos on youtube and linking the web page to those. There are other similar solutions if you don't like youtube (or the logo in the bottom.) Theres no reason for sugarbush or anyone else to serve videos off of their own server when there are free services out there that have more bandwidth than god. (God still has a T3.)

Also, there is plenty of stokage already on youtube. I think someone mentioned the footage of the crazy swiss guys ski-sailing (or whatever it's called) down the side of the Eiger.

Brew Ski
01-28-2010, 09:38 PM
It is called Sugartube. Not youtube.

Hardbooter, you post a reasonable solution.

Yet, I argue that if Sugartube is to allow people to put videos up and the Mountain is going to increase viewer visits to the website for some serious stoke, the server needs to be fast. Really fast. And not interupt Christopher Walken from demanding "more cowbell!"

John Walden
01-29-2010, 06:50 AM
I agree. It doesn't do JA justice, as his work is outstanding and an added value to all of us at the Bush.