PDA

View Full Version : Skins - mohair blend or straight nylon?

jwt
01-26-2010, 08:14 PM
Will be on steeps more than flats - using downhill skis ( Volkl Mantras) with Marker clip outs. Presidentials, MRG, etc.

WHat works best - most will not be more than day trips.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

ski_it
01-27-2010, 12:49 AM
Mohair is supposed to give better glide, i.e. for longer tours with flats while nylon is supposed to give better climbing traction. My wife has a set of the Black Diamond GlideLite STS Mohair/Nylon blend skins that we got for a great deal on tramdock. She has no problem with traction on the same slopes I'm climbing with my nylon G3 Alpinist skins. You'll probably be fine either way, but nylon seems to be a lot more common.

Brew Ski
01-27-2010, 05:18 AM
I also have the G3 Alpinist skins and they stick like duct tape on both packed snow and powder. They are great on the steeper climbs. VT North pro shop has a decent deal on them. Wasn't much different (~$5) than discount online prices that I found.

smootharc
01-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Will be on steeps more than flats - using downhill skis ( Volkl Mantras) with Marker clip outs. Presidentials, MRG, etc.

WHat works best - most will not be more than day trips.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Been happy with my setup: Mantras, Dukes, and the Mantra factory skins. Don't have a lot of miles on them, but so far so good.

A pic of what they look like:
http://www.intermountaintraders.com/outdoors/climbing-skins/volkl-freeride-mantra-skins/