PDA

View Full Version : Damage report Scotty??

djd66
01-25-2010, 11:04 PM
It was like a hurricane down here in Mass today with wind+rain=major snow loss. What are things looking like up on the hill???

castlerock
01-26-2010, 06:58 AM
There is still snow on the ground in the woods at the base. Snow banks are dirty.

summitchallenger
01-26-2010, 08:23 AM
Here's the latest...apparently grooming is going on right now.

Tuesday, January 26th at 8:14 AM
Well, I am happy to report we have better news! The rain stopped last night, and the temps have dropped. What this means for you is: Because we have a lot of snow already for a base on the mountain (thanks, and many 'High 5's' to our snow makers...) our grooming teams will be out in full force taming the wild surfaces yesterday's precipitation left us with (Many 'High 5's' to them, as well!). Grooming will proceed as the day progresses; working from the Gate House chair lift side of Lincoln Peak southward...I can see the corduroy shaping up already!

Think snow! And don't forget to keep doing those snow dances! If you don’t know what those are, be sure to check out the SugarTube™ video section of our website.

FOR TODAY:
111 trails; 12 lifts are scheduled. We can expect Frozen Granular and Loose Granular snow conditions today, but please check our snow report updates throughout the day, or call 583-SNOW (7669), and we'll keep you informed about the most current mountain conditions. There may still be a thin spot or two on our natural snow trails, however, so be sure to ask for a trail report at Guest Services, or ask one of our friendly Sugarbush Ambassadors, in the blue coats, where the trails with the most snow and best runs are.

PATROL'S PICKS:
Spring Fling at Lincoln Peak; Elbow at Mt. Ellen.
Terrain Park Features are closed temporarily for maintenance. Keep your eyes on this page and reload it frequently, as updates will be happening often.

boze
01-26-2010, 09:02 AM
Was mostly a light drizzle through noon Monday when we packed it in. Low winds at base, not sure at summit. Seems like we dodged a large bullet. Snow dance shoes on & music at full power...let's give her all we got, Captain....

castlerock
01-26-2010, 11:11 AM
As I drove past South this morning (should have taken a photo) all the natural snow trails are "swiss cheese" with dirt patches. I doubt they'll open (Steins, Moonshine, etc). Spring fling had complete cover, Lower grinder looked good with just a patch of brown or two. So at least at South, down low, it is snow-making only.

Hawk
01-26-2010, 02:08 PM
...........the radar is showing moderate upslope snow right now. Hope it adds up... :wink:

John Walden
01-26-2010, 02:48 PM
We need more than upslope; we need a serious dump!

vonski
01-26-2010, 03:09 PM
here is quote from an old face on Skimrv. Thanks BMM if ur lurking!

Mt. Ellen held up better than I expected, in terms of depth. Everything is still open, except the park. Not too many large bare spots on Cliffs even. There are sketchy spots on the hill, but we'll piece it back together. I'll know the "plan" for the week soon, and will share what I am able. Good news is, it looks like we're going to be getting some upslope snow over the next 72 hours, so that will help significantly. I wasn't out on the mountain today (just drove up to the shop), but I'm guessing the snow is variable, frozen granular + chunks, etc. I'll probably be on snow in some form or another tomorrow (either on skis, or in a cat), and can update further.

Lostone
01-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Overwhelming consensus from the mountain was that the groomers did a fantastic job. Had Gatehouse ready when we opened. Bravo took a few more hours, but when it opened, it did so to rave reviews.

Only one set of unhappy customers, and they said it had poured each of their last two trips. I suggested they go somewhere else. :wink:

Mini-blizzard happening, now. We need a lot more!

gone.skiing
01-26-2010, 04:01 PM
Bravo took a few more hours, but when it opened, it did so to rave reviews.

I am sure they did a great job given the conditions, but rave reviews... Please...

summitchallenger
01-26-2010, 04:08 PM
Bravo took a few more hours, but when it opened, it did so to rave reviews.

I am sure they did a great job given the conditions, but rave reviews... Please...

People are thankful. What's wrong with that? Better than the skiing that I did not do today... :wink:

summitchallenger
01-26-2010, 04:11 PM
So much for the rumors that "snowmaking was over at Mount Ellen." From a reliable source:

Snowmaking recovery efforts at Mt. Ellen are starting now, and will be focused on Rim Run, Elbow, Midflats/Follies initially. I'll update more later.

gone.skiing
01-26-2010, 04:15 PM
People are thankful. What's wrong with that? Better than the skiing that I did not do today... :wink:

Nothing, like I said I am sure the mountain is doing the best they can.

Lostone
01-26-2010, 05:38 PM
I spoke to over 100 of the people that were here. Most saw what happened, yesterday. All saw what was under them. All saw what was around them. Most had expectations (and fears) of what they would find. Most raved at the condition of the work the groomers had done.

Your mileage may vary. :roll:

castlerock
01-26-2010, 05:40 PM
If you expect ice suitable for bourbon and you get something you can carve on, you give rave reviews....

HowieT2
01-26-2010, 07:20 PM
sharpen those edges mates! Just looked at the forecast and suspect this weekend will be good old eastern hardpack.

shadyjay
01-26-2010, 08:56 PM
While I didn't get out today (worked North Lynx and really don't want to mess up my new board)... I can say that North Lynx was not fun, but it depends on who you ask. For the few people we had up there today, about 40% said it was fun, the other 60% said it wasn't. I was warning everyone that there was no grooming up there - per orders of ski patrol, who said it was not fun.

Honestly, I was expecting different things from today. I was not expecting any grooming - starting the grooming late and opening the mountain as they moved around it was the best scenario, that way it gave folks an edgeable surface. Also I was expecting more damage... the natural trails do look thin (Morning Star, Moonshine, Castlerock, etc) but the snowmaking trails looked really good.... and the base is now rock solid and should last for quite a while. And finally, I wasn't expecting the squalls we got throughout the day... just enough to add white back into the picture but also just enough (for now) to hide some of the beasts that lurk underneath. If you are venturing out onto natural terrain this week, keep in mind that it may be just a light coating of white on top of more natural surfaces. Be safe, have fun, and THINK SNOW!

[sorry, Mark - had to use that line!]

Hawk
01-27-2010, 07:27 AM
Interesting reporting on snow amounts this morning. Stowe and Jay are reporting 6-8 while SB is saying 1 and MRG is saying 0. I have a feeling that we got a little more. Every little bit helps.