PDA

View Full Version : Ellen Snowmaking recovery plan?

vonski
01-25-2010, 02:24 PM
Is there going to be snowmaking at Ellen? The pond should be full again! ugggh!

skibum1321
01-25-2010, 04:16 PM
It was stated a few weeks ago on here that snowmaking was done for the year at North. Not sure how much truth is in that statement. Honestly, the trails ski so much better without snowmaking. I would be happy if they are done if I were you.

FWIW, if you bought a Ellen pass then you have no room to complain that LP gets all the attention. People pay more for an All Mountain pass for a reason...

summitchallenger
01-25-2010, 04:35 PM
It was stated a few weeks ago on here that snowmaking was done for the year at North. Not sure how much truth is in that statement. Honestly, the trails ski so much better without snowmaking. I would be happy if they are done if I were you.

FWIW, if you bought a Ellen pass then you have no room to complain that LP gets all the attention. People pay more for an All Mountain pass for a reason...

You're in a great mood today, aren't you? :roll:

Back to the original question, there was a rumor that snowmaking was done at Mount Ellen, but nothing official yet. Hoses and guns are still out at both mountains.

And as to the comment about what pass a person holds (I'm hoping that was just joking), we all hold "Sugarbush" passes. Some can ski more terrain than others on their passes. I'm fortunate to have a pass that gets me what I want and others buy what they want. This argument that "you bought a cheap pass, so you are a second-class citizen" line is getting old...and the lack of that attitude is why I and many others ski at SB. People usually don't care about petty things like that....it's about the skiing and riding.

vonski
01-25-2010, 04:58 PM
Well, my understanding about the snow making is that the pond was dry! This was due to the fact that the pipe coming up the hill broke and is in need of serious help. If they pump the water up the hill from the stream to fill the pond good chance of blowing the pipe again. So, the old ASC pipe still haunts us on every turn. (This is what I heard at least could be part of the problem)

As to the comment about not having snowmaking. If you like glacial skiing when starting off at the top of the pitch where everyone glides to off GMX so be it. and down on Main Stream where they all come together then so be it.

I have an Ellen plus pass. So, if south is where the snowmaking is maybe I will burn a day this weekend! But normally Ellen recovers better anyways in my opinion!

skibum1321, your also full of proverbial BS for the no complaining due to my lower cost pass! I pay for less trails not less snowmaking or services! Considering there is 40% or so of the terrrain at North and 60% at South then my pass should have been 40% of the cost of the all mountain pass, but it was more 60% of the cost of an all mountain pass. So, I am prettty sure I am paying for some snow making! with my extra 20% in cost.

summitchallenger
01-25-2010, 05:03 PM
I too have heard that both mountains have had snowmaking supply line issues...hence one reason why snowmaking has been slow. Again, I would imagine one resurfacing (if needed) for ME. We will wait for official word....

skibum1321
01-25-2010, 10:04 PM
skibum1321, your also full of proverbial BS for the no complaining due to my lower cost pass! I pay for less trails not less snowmaking or services! Considering there is 40% or so of the terrrain at North and 60% at South then my pass should have been 40% of the cost of the all mountain pass, but it was more 60% of the cost of an all mountain pass. So, I am prettty sure I am paying for some snow making! with my extra 20% in cost.
Are you seriously telling me that you bought this pass expecting full snowmaking and services? It is pretty well known that Sugarbush puts less money in terms of services and snowmaking into MEllen. My comments were partially tongue in cheek, but at the same time, it's pretty obvious where the money is spent - like it or not.

vonski
01-25-2010, 11:14 PM
[quote="skibum1321
Are you seriously telling me that you bought this pass expecting full snowmaking and services? It is pretty well known that Sugarbush puts less money in terms of services and snowmaking into MEllen. My comments were partially tongue in cheek, but at the same time, it's pretty obvious where the money is spent - like it or not.[/quote]

No, I donot expect base depths to be blown to the extent as at south. Nor do I expect as much snow making at North. But, I and the rest of the pass holders to Ellen, of which there are many more this year, do expect to see the early rain thaw events to be recovered from with some respect to North and snowmaking. If not, the mountain will loose the Ellen base of passholders. No one wants to be treated like a second thought early in the season. So, right now prior to the Feb vacation week there should still be some snowmaking. And if not I guess then the issue might get a little hotter.

Oh, by the way, with my plus pass I do get to enjoy those deep bases of which have not been made yet at South, into April and beyond. So, the way I really look at it. With the early season at South, 5 days at South and Spring at south, and being a weekend warrior that is not every weekend. I think my value is pretty darn good, and have not once felt differently. I also enjoy having no lift lines. And so far this year since Ellen has openend the conditions have been better on the busy days from what I can tell from talking to folks that I know who have been skiing south. Crowds scratch out the trails of which is not a problem at North like Death spout is at South on a weekend Saturday.

skibum1321
01-26-2010, 07:14 AM
I do agree with just about everything you said. The only spot where you and I differ is that I really don't want them to blow any more snow. I feel like a trail is ruined as soon as snow is blown on it. Cliffs, for example, has skied far better this season without snowmaking than any time that I have skied it with manmade. The only thing snowmaking is good for in my mind is extending the season into May. Even at South, I really don't want them to blow anywhere except for the spring trails.

vonski
01-26-2010, 11:31 PM
Ahh! the answers have been had! I am personally happy to see the places where they are making snow at North. Looks more like a recovery plan than at South; with them making on Steins. So, it looks like Ellen will be doing just fine!

win
01-27-2010, 08:08 AM
Crazy rumors. There was always been plenty of water. We stop making snow when it isn't needed and it wasn't at ME for a while recently until now. At LP we had Stein's to go but with the rain we saw coming in on Sunday night and Monday we held off until after the storm. We will now blow around the mountain where it is needed. Guns are on at both mountains.

John Walden
01-27-2010, 08:56 AM
thanks, Win for the update.

summitchallenger
01-27-2010, 08:56 AM
Crazy rumors. There was always been plenty of water. We stop making snow when it isn't needed and it wasn't at ME for a while recently until now. At LP we had Stein's to go but with the rain we saw coming in on Sunday night and Monday we held off until after the storm. We will now blow around the mountain where it is needed. Guns are on at both mountains.

Love those rumors...like the one that SB was for sale....

John Walden
01-27-2010, 09:03 AM
Me too! My wife and I checked our finances and decided to withdraw our bid! HA! HA! It appears Intrawest is having fun these days.