PDA

View Full Version : Just Wondering

bill-now
01-18-2010, 09:28 PM
How does the Lincoln Limo get from South to North?

Strat
01-18-2010, 09:34 PM
It runs at North? I thought it was a South-only deal, but I guess I was just inferring from the name.

OR

On the Lincoln Flatbed?

aejkb
01-18-2010, 09:42 PM
why do the bathrooms at Valley House stink so bad? And how come none of the lift operators had tunes playing this weekend? Just wondering...

shadyjay
01-18-2010, 11:01 PM
Regarding the original question, I believe there are ways to get it from South to North without taking it on the public roads. So I'd guess there's a work road network connecting the two, but not positive. Not positive though - still haven't been in/on the thing!

Second, the VH bathrooms are much much much older than those in the Gate House.... but I've walked into the GH bathrooms and have encountered an "aroma" so it all depends on the time.

Third, we DID have music playing this weekend, but perhaps you caught us at the wrong time! Music at the lifts depends on who is running the lift. Generally music at base of Bravo and GH is non-existant as the terminals make a lot of noise and it can get pretty hectic between crowd control, announcements, and such. I was at Heaven's Gate on Sat and top of Gate House on Sun and had music at each lift. I have been told Castlerock has satellite radio. And you'll occasionally see the "cube" at the top of Bravo. I try to break out the music at whatever lift I'm working, but it depends on several factors. For instance, top shacks of fixed grip lifts have no power, thus the ability of powering speakers for all to hear is complicated. Bottom shacks have power but the noise from the terminals can drown out whatever speakers we have. Over at Mt Ellen, the only place I've encountered music there has been the bottom of the Summit Quad.

Plowboy
01-18-2010, 11:57 PM
How does the Lincoln Limo get from South to North?

Flatbed trailer. I think it was Fred Viens that moved it last April. There is a work road that conects the two mountains. Maybe they didn't want to scratch the new paint job. :wink:

gone.skiing
01-19-2010, 12:04 AM
It runs at North?

They move it over to North once it closes. There is a video on Sugartube of spring cat skiing on FIS.

Strat
01-19-2010, 12:15 AM
It runs at North?

They move it over to North once it closes. There is a video on Sugartube of spring cat skiing on FIS.

Ah that's right, I remember now. Good stuff.

bill-now
01-19-2010, 07:44 AM
why do the bathrooms at Valley House stink so bad? And how come none of the lift operators had tunes playing this weekend? Just wondering...
If more people would poop in the woods this problem might go away. :wink:

Hardbooter
01-19-2010, 05:15 PM
There's a work road that goes through slide brook from village run to lower FIS. If you want some good exercise, try skating it. Back-country gear is recommended since it's got some ups and downs. It's also not a good idea to head out onto the work roads unless you know the lay of the land there since there are a number of roads. Most of the work roads access the slide brook chair for maintenance and in case they ever need to evacuate the lift. There are some nice trails that people hike, dog walk and snowshoe and if you know where to go, there's some good cross country skiing. Quite a bit of the land down towards slide brook itself and around the slide brook road is private so it's a not a great idea to wander around there. Also, in the fall there are hunters. For that matter, Sugarbush owns a lot of that land and may not want us stomping around on the access roads. I'm not sure about that.

Oh, and mind the bears. It's prime bear habitat due to the beach trees (they like beach nuts, I guess.) So avoid it when bears want to mate or eat human flesh, whatever that season is. So, just to summarize: it's a great place to go if you want skate a long flat trail, get lost and die, get run over by the lincoln limo, get eaten by mating bears or shot by a hunter on private land and it's one of my favorite places in the valley.