View Full Version : Times Argus Article on Ski Thefts

summitchallenger
01-10-2010, 07:25 PM
Not many reported at SB or MRG:

http://www.timesargus.com/article/20100110/NEWS/100119999/1002/NEWS01

Okemo on the other hand.......

muddy_hollow
01-11-2010, 07:23 AM
When I was a kid, our local ski area (Brodie Mtn... that dates me) started having issues with thefts on ski club nights. The following year my dad bought me a "new" pair of skis and proceeded to grab the sharpie to mark them up. It's something that I do now with all of my family's equipment, make it useless to someone else.

I do it with our bags and frankly I'm more concerned about someone mistakenly taking my bag than anything, so I lock them to the shelves in the bag room.

On busy days, I use my ski lock. If some ass clown wants to pinch my gear he better be doing it for the bindings only else he's going to have to explain why someone else's name is tagged on the skis.

Works for me.

castlerock
01-11-2010, 09:37 PM
First, Nail polish remover (acetone) will take a sharpie off in one swipe.

Secondly, my son had a brand new pair of green (extremely rare color) black diamond adjustable poles stolen a month ago from the racks outside of the Gatehouse. If anyone sees a pair in that color, let me know! It is basically a pain sentence for the culprit....

mattlucas
01-12-2010, 01:38 PM
First off, green adjustable BD poles are not rare...I bought mine off Tramdock so anyone with the internet could conceivably have them.
furthermore, you better be correct if you decide to jump someone for gear that you think is yours... no one wants to find out how long those
poles actually get.

Seriously though, the "be on the lookout" vigilante stuff could end really poorly.

I remember a few years ago (during ASC) some lifties had a call like that for a stolen pass with the suspect matching my dads description. They
tackled him as he got off the VH. A fight ensued and was broken up without too much damage, but that was the best possible outcome after someone's been tackled.
No injuries, lawsuits, etc, but a helluva an apology.

I can't really see that happening more than a few times out of ten, and more often than not I would say a bunch of people should get fired, passes given away, you name it.

ahm
01-12-2010, 02:18 PM
1. Nail polish remover is actually ethyl acetate
2. there is an easy way to eliminate theft of boards. Go big, that is in length, few use long skis. Stick with 184 or higher and no one will want your boards. I always opt for a high din setting. This way if someone does heist and by chance click in. I can find them later in the clinic. Long boards plus high din = big crash for most.
3. No need for adjustable poles at ski areas. You have a lift and will not be skinning. I laugh at how many adjustable poles I see on people. But I laugh harder at the super G poles. However, if you are a sugarbush regular than having a touring set in the car can make for great skiing on win"d" hold days.
4. As for keeping hold of the poles though, take one with you inside, this will render the other useless.
5. Another way to handle the poles is to ski with mismatched prs. For ages I skied with one Leki and one Kerma. Noone steals mismatched poles.
6. Be careful on Sundays. This is a prime theft day as folks are going home.

AHM

Hawk
01-12-2010, 02:22 PM
Nice AHM. What, you board already over in ME. :wink:
I just bring my poles in the building with me and separate my skis.

mattlucas
01-12-2010, 02:31 PM
1. Nail polish remover is actually ethyl acetate
2. there is an easy way to eliminate theft of boards. Go big, that is in length, few use long skis. Stick with 184 or higher and no one will want your boards. I always opt for a high din setting. This way if someone does heist and by chance click in. I can find them later in the clinic. Long boards plus high din = big crash for most.
3. No need for adjustable poles at ski areas. You have a lift and will not be skinning. I laugh at how many adjustable poles I see on people. But I laugh harder at the super G poles. However, if you are a sugarbush regular than having a touring set in the car can make for great skiing on win"d" hold days.
4. As for keeping hold of the poles though, take one with you inside, this will render the other useless.
5. Another way to handle the poles is to ski with mismatched prs. For ages I skied with one Leki and one Kerma. Noone steals mismatched poles.
6. Be careful on Sundays. This is a prime theft day as folks are going home.

AHM

I just finished laughing at you when HG went on windhold and you brought out your dukes but didn't have skins / feel like hiking up.

castlerock
01-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Nail Polish remover, or acetone, or goo gone, or many other solvents will take off the sharpie....

As for the need for adjustables. Growing kids, make good use of adjustables, especially if you don't want to keep replacing them every year. (And you can get them for cheap on SAC). And for some insane reason they think they are cool when adjusted to 100 cm!

summitchallenger
01-12-2010, 03:49 PM
And if you read the article you can see that using self-help does not work out so well....

ahm
01-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Matt,

Seems to be you are a bit mistaken. I do not own dukes and was not at the hill today. I am a fritschi guy. In fact, I don't ski SB much due to moving to ME.