PDA

View Full Version : Great place to stop......

MntMan4Bush
01-07-2010, 04:03 PM
So this is kind of a common sense thread for most out there and likely won't be instrumental in change, but where it might help is if the mountain staff reads this.

We all see people get off the lifts and stop right there and start to boot up or in dangerous intersections stop and hang out. It happens at the top of Super B where there is always a crowd that would rival the line at a Fran Drescher Dunk Tank when you get off the chair and also at the choke point on the traverse by the Valley Double where people plop down or stand about making it necessary to thread a Tom Brady-esque needle through the crowd on ice to make it through to Spring Fling. Maul, Snowball, Twist, etc.

There are others but those are the two most dangerous and annoying ones I can think of. It also applies to boarders and skiers alike. No one party dominates this non-commonsensical approach to getting ready or taking a break. It's almost as thoughtful to those around you as the guy that stands in the men's room in front of the towel dispenser on his cell phone.

So I'm guessing no one on this board is guilty of this, or their friends, or their families (if you are be warned) None of us can really control this apart from a good natured ball busting comment as you ski by or making sure your party isn't one of the offenders, however perhaps SB Staff can help a bit. What I've seen particularly at the top of Super Bravo is the mountain guides, ski instructors, GMVS teachers and people standing in SB jackets directing traffic ignoring this phenomenon. If you work for the mountain or are associated with the mountain is it possible to ask the crowd to disperse and boot up or hang out on the sidelines? It can be said in a friendly manner promoting safety and convenience for all. I'd bet that 95% of the people who do it have no idea they are doing it. I've seen instructors have whole herds of kids just standing there right in front of the lift milling about. Teach them to go to the side. Good habits are just as hard to break as bad ones. I'm not asking anyone go running out of the lift house or that we have people staffed there to do it. Enough people who work for the mountain likely ski by these sections on a regular basis throughout the day or bring their groups through it. Promote the practice in your groups or if you ski by a cluster F just ask people to respect those around them as you ski by. You're wearing a SB jacket. People will listen to you.

Just a rant as I wait for more snow to fall.

HowieT2
01-07-2010, 04:33 PM
So this is kind of a common sense thread for most out there and likely won't be instrumental in change, but where it might help is if the mountain staff reads this.

We all see people get off the lifts and stop right there and start to boot up or in dangerous intersections stop and hang out. It happens at the top of Super B where there is always a crowd that would rival the line at a Fran Drescher Dunk Tank when you get off the chair and also at the choke point on the traverse by the Valley Double where people plop down or stand about making it necessary to thread a Tom Brady-esque needle through the crowd on ice to make it through to Spring Fling. Maul, Snowball, Twist, etc.

There are others but those are the two most dangerous and annoying ones I can think of. It also applies to boarders and skiers alike. No one party dominates this non-commonsensical approach to getting ready or taking a break. It's almost as thoughtful to those around you as the guy that stands in the men's room in front of the towel dispenser on his cell phone.

So I'm guessing no one on this board is guilty of this, or their friends, or their families (if you are be warned) None of us can really control this apart from a good natured ball busting comment as you ski by or making sure your party isn't one of the offenders, however perhaps SB Staff can help a bit. What I've seen particularly at the top of Super Bravo is the mountain guides, ski instructors, GMVS teachers and people standing in SB jackets directing traffic ignoring this phenomenon. If you work for the mountain or are associated with the mountain is it possible to ask the crowd to disperse and boot up or hang out on the sidelines? It can be said in a friendly manner promoting safety and convenience for all. I'd bet that 95% of the people who do it have no idea they are doing it. I've seen instructors have whole herds of kids just standing there right in front of the lift milling about. Teach them to go to the side. Good habits are just as hard to break as bad ones. I'm not asking anyone go running out of the lift house or that we have people staffed there to do it. Enough people who work for the mountain likely ski by these sections on a regular basis throughout the day or bring their groups through it. Promote the practice in your groups or if you ski by a cluster F just ask people to respect those around them as you ski by. You're wearing a SB jacket. People will listen to you.

Just a rant as I wait for more snow to fall.

Dude, "fran Drescher"? you're dating yourself. :D

Tin Woodsman
01-07-2010, 04:44 PM
I don't see the crowd at the top of Bravo as a problem. They never get close to the exit of the chair, so I don't see collisions being an issue there.

As for VH, that issue will exist so long as the current physical/topographical set-up in place. Unless you have someone standing there almost full-time to keep people moving, you will have people stopping in the eddy as the current picks up on that icy downhill after the flat. Doesn't strike me as a great use of resources.

Strat
01-07-2010, 05:03 PM
In my experience people tend to move out of the way at the top of Super Bravo. If I'm heading toward Jester/Downspout I'll move off to the right at the top of the incline, and if I'm going the other direction I'll move around so the chairs are to my back and strap in over there, and I think most people follow the same general protocol. I think you may have just caught a few particularly busy times.

The end of Valley House Traverse, as Tin said, is a legitimate problem spot, especially when the VH chair is running and you can't hang out in the unload area. Again though, it's not terribly common that this happens (although of course when it does it's the busiest times). Just have to keep your speed under control and be alert, especially as you round that corner. Maybe I'm just used to it by now.

vonski
01-07-2010, 05:06 PM
I don't see the crowd at the top of Bravo as a problem. They never get close to the exit of the chair, so I don't see collisions being an issue there.

As for VH, that issue will exist so long as the current physical/topographical set-up in place. Unless you have someone standing there almost full-time to keep people moving, you will have people stopping in the eddy as the current picks up on that icy downhill after the flat. Doesn't strike me as a great use of resources.

I agree with Tin not a problem at top of Bravo, but the traverse section by Valley House is one! But overall, I would have to say that stopping in the middle of the trail is an issue anywhere on the mountain unless there is no one on the trail. But my biggest issue is the folks that just start skiing and do not look up hill first on any trail. One can be cruising down Cruiser and folks just start skiing without looking up hill. I ranted on a few last weekend. :shock: :roll:

castlerock
01-07-2010, 05:06 PM
I don't see Bravo as an issue either. No danger there. Stopping at the throat of VH is an IQ test. Last weekend there was a young female boarder just sitting, blocking both the turn towards the Mall/Steins and in danger of being clobbered by the an out of control rider on the ice. Insane.....I have no idea how to fix it...maybe some signs, "DO NOT STOP".

The other place that has become a problem is where the valley house lodge and the baby terrain park pinch together, at the valley house lodge level above the bottom of Bravo. People stop there to gather before they go to the lifts. Some stop for the park, some stop to decide where to go, and others cruise on through. It seems that it is narrower this year and I've seen several near misses as someone rocketed through and a little kid was turning to stop.

Lostone
01-07-2010, 05:23 PM
A problem here is you are asking for common sense, and if we had common sense, we wouldn't be going down a mountain on sticks. :lol:

When we're on ski cycle, ambassadors try to keep the unloading zones clear at Bravo and Gatehouse. Valley house...? :shock:

Yeah, that is just ugly. :roll:

When I see people stopped in the middle, I ask them to not stop there. They generally move without trouble. More so, if I'm wearing the Sugarbush jacket. But sometimes, if not, they look as if I'm coming out of nowhere and bossing them around.

That is a terrible place to stop! And I've had a few close calls with people leaving the lift area or the entrance to The Mall and not looking up, too.

I always tell people, when giving directions, that as they get close to the caution sign, to pull it way in. You never know what is over the dip.

chuck
01-07-2010, 05:36 PM
+1

summitchallenger
01-07-2010, 06:44 PM
I agree. What is more annoying is the attitude of some that they can throw their skis anywhere they want in front of the lodge except in the ski racks. Worst offenders are the ski racers, sorry to say, which is puzzling considering the amount of time and money spent in maintaining said skis.

vonski
01-07-2010, 07:18 PM
I agree. What is more annoying is the attitude of some that they can throw their skis anywhere they want in front of the lodge except in the ski racks. Worst offenders are the ski racers, sorry to say, which is puzzling considering the amount of time and money spent in maintaining said skis.

Yeah this started at the base at Ellen and has now drastically spread to the Glenn House. Not at South lately so not sure what it is like there, but the other day one could not skate to hammerhead area from Rim Run with out going way around and from GMX to the summit lift. Funny is the racks were all empty. Not a big fan of the practice! Also had issues going from Inverness over to GMX come to think of it!

HowieT2
01-07-2010, 08:18 PM

It doesn't bother me on a regular day, but last week it was out of control. You couldn't get to the lodge through the maze and it was practically all the way to the inverness lift.

summitchallenger
01-07-2010, 08:26 PM

Yeah this started at the base at Ellen and has now drastically spread to the Glenn House. Not at South lately so not sure what it is like there, but the other day one could not skate to hammerhead area from Rim Run with out going way around and from GMX to the summit lift. Funny is the racks were all empty. Not a big fan of the practice! Also had issues going from Inverness over to GMX come to think of it!

EXACTLY! The fact that the racks are empty is simply amazing. :lol:

Not to add to the complaint list but the only other racer issue was the mountain having race training on Cruiser (Joe's Cruiser (?) )side by side with families snowplowing down the trail. I talked with an insider who was rolling his eyes as well...said that they had no choice due to the weather, but this really was not a good idea.

Fishwife
01-07-2010, 08:35 PM
As far as the sheep who herd up at VH, you just gotta shake your head! It is sometimes downright dangerous, but I really don't see how it can be solved. If ter were am ambassador there I think most of these sheep would just get indignant and rattle off some excuse as to why they are stopping right there. Makes it interesting - slaloming through humans! Off to do the Dance.......... 8)

HowieT2
01-07-2010, 08:37 PM
As far as the sheep who herd up at VH, you just gotta shake your head! It is sometimes downright dangerous, but I really don't see how it can be solved. If ter were am ambassador there I think most of these sheep would just get indignant and rattle off some excuse as to why they are stopping right there. Makes it interesting - slaloming through humans! Off to do the Dance.......... 8)

new lift.

Tin Woodsman
01-07-2010, 08:56 PM

new lift.

That's pretty much it. Relief won't come until they replace VH with a higher capacity lift and blast the summit area so that the traffic can be reconfigured. Ultimate solution, IMO, is to blow up that cliff to the right of the VH traverse/VH summit so there's more room and better visibility to the off-load area for skiers coming down the traverse. Re-grade it a bit as well and make sure that traffic can get past the lift to Snowball while allowing people coming off the lift to get to Stein's and the Mall. It's a tough spot.

MntMan4Bush
01-07-2010, 10:39 PM
So I'm the only one who sees tons of people (By tons I'd say 15 or more at a time) milling about right off the Super B chair every weekend? Really? Just me? Huh? If it was an odd occurrence I wouldn't have mentioned it. Like for instance last weekend at the top of GH there were people who just got off and looked around not minding people exiting behind them. This isn't too frequent a problem there so I dismissed it as a rarity. Next time you get off of Super Bravo on a weekend do me a favor and look around. It's possible you're one of the ones standing in the middle then..... :lol: People stop right there front and center and start putting their boards on or buckle their boots or discuss what trail they want to do. All great activities. Just do it to the side. I pull up right along side the trees and buckle up. I rarely see anyone beside me. But since we're all perfect in this chat room the message isn't necessarily for you. It's more for the SB reps to just keep an eye out is all. Scatter them like rats with a broomstick for all I care. What gets me is when i see an instructor or GMVS jacket there with a group of people standing in the middle blocking the way. At the top of Super B they're not exactly standing on the exit ramp so it's not necessarily dangerous it's just annoying and inconsiderate.

As for VH it is what it is, but again my point is not to bring in an bulldozer and reconfigure the trail. It's more if you work for the mountain and you see a bunch of people plopped down around there can you ask them to move along.

If all these are done regularly great. I realize SB employees can't be all places at all times, but the crowd at Super B seems to be a constant so that one in particular seems like a good place to start. Or maybe it's just me. Maybe there's only one guy there in the middle. It's hard to tell. My goggles are really scratched up.

shadyjay
01-08-2010, 12:53 AM
Ambassadors do get staged at top of Bravo and GH. The plateau at top of Bravo is good size and only on a few occasions does it get "bunched up". Same with GH. On-trail bunching up is worse though I think, but only really during the busy periods (Saturdays and holidays). Any time I stop, I try to move to the side and try to strap in at the edge of the trail or adjacent to the edge of the lift. If I stop on the trail, its always as far off to the side as possible - not in the middle like some people.

Fourwide
01-08-2010, 08:46 AM
Tin Woodsman wrote: "That's pretty much it. Relief won't come until they replace VH with a higher capacity lift and blast the summit area so that the traffic can be reconfigured. Ultimate solution, IMO, is to blow up that cliff to the right of the VH traverse/VH summit so there's more room and better visibility to the off-load area for skiers coming down the traverse. Re-grade it a bit as well and make sure that traffic can get past the lift to Snowball while allowing people coming off the lift to get to Stein's and the Mall. It's a tough spot."

Agree with all that, long range. With the VH summit moved up on that ridge, you could set up an alternate entrance to Snowball, opposite the traverse, easing traffic on the traverse.

MntMan4Bush
01-08-2010, 08:57 AM
Thanks Shady. I guess though why it is more frustrating is I've seen those same ambassadors standing in the middle of the plateau not saying anything or as I said SB groups (instructors or GMVS) gathering their squad right there in the middle instead of saying "Hey let's all meet up on the left/right hand side"

All I'm asking is if during the next staff meeting someone could say "If you see people standing or stopping in the middle right off the lift or at a dangerous intersection ask them to move along or to the side"

As for in the middle of a trail that's trickier. Sometimes the best bump lines are on the side of a trail. I don't expect people to be able to identify good bump lines or good snow opportunities in the middle of the trail or edges so that one doesn't bother me. Plus what's good for some is not as good for others so it's hard to tell the best place to stop and rest. Impossible to get that right. So long as they look up before they start again is all I care about, but if they don't no matter. Downhill skier has the right of way so it's my job to peel off.

vonski
01-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Thanks Shady. I guess though why it is more frustrating is I've seen those same ambassadors standing in the middle of the plateau not saying anything or as I said SB groups (instructors or GMVS) gathering their squad right there in the middle instead of saying "Hey let's all meet up on the left/right hand side"

As for in the middle of a trail that's trickier. Sometimes the best bump lines are on the side of a trail. I don't expect people to be able to identify good bump lines or good snow opportunities in the middle of the trail or edges so that one doesn't bother me. Plus what's good for some is not as good for others so it's hard to tell the best place to stop and rest. Impossible to get that right. So long as they look up before they start again is all I care about, but if they don't no matter. Downhill skier has the right of way so it's my job to peel off.

I would say that the moving downhill skier has the right of way not the one standing and just starting. Any of you Attorneys out there got an opinion on that one! How is that interpreted in the world of litigation. Either way I will peel off anyways. Rather ski than be hurt. But I still love the group of adults and kids that just start skiing. Those are probably the parents that scream at their kids to wear a helmet but don't wear one themselves.! Enough of my rant!

MntMan4Bush
01-08-2010, 09:33 AM
+1 vonski.

I've always felt that if I am moving down a line and they are stopped they should look uphill before starting and wait for me to pass, but the whole "downhill skier - right of way" rule has kept that in check for me for the most part. Plus even if there is a variation on the rule like the fact that someone standing in place is not considered a skier at that moment and needs to yield to those skiing around them like when merging, etc I would expect few to know this and I'd hardly count on anyone following it. Also does it count if you don't actually hit the person but ski over their tips or tails as you blow by? I think that's fair game right........ :wink:

Lostone
01-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Maybe it is a judgment call?

When we are stationed at the top of a lift, we have a dual purpose. We give advice and directions, and make sure the ramp stays unblocked. That will not stop people from congregating and making decisions as to where they are going.

We try to keep the ramp clear, as that is a safety matter, but remember that people are here on vacation, and really don't like being pushed. We're not there (other than myself) to hassle people, and are reticent tell them to leave.

On the other side, I feel bad, when I'm making suggestions or giving directions, that I'm constantly watching the ramp. The person I'm talking to knows they don't have my full attention. Safety is my first concern, and that is right.

Most school group instructors are aware of the problem of top of lift congestion, and do try to move to the side. But there is just so much room at the top. Remember that if there is a line, and your group is 3 chairs, they might be separated by 12 chairs, due to timing and line merging.

If you get off, and the ramp is congested, and there is an ambassador there, mention it to him/her. If it is a problem that once you get off, there are a lot of people around, may I suggest you take a breath and relax? They're really not slowing you down that much.

Remember; many of these people have never been here, and all are here to relax and enjoy themselves. They can really resent being pushed. We want all of you (us) to have a good time.

Now... I'm heading out to... have a good time. 8)

Fourwide
01-08-2010, 10:08 AM
While "downhill skier right of way" is certainly proper skiing etiquette, I'd think (not having researched the issue) that the downhill skier could be viewed as negligent as a legal matter if he doesn't avoid downhill traffic, including stop/start skiers. The downhill skier is likely required to ski under control so that he can stop quickly and not run others over, regardless of their carelessness. Obviously, the particular facts and circumstances would be taken into account, including the negligence of the skier run over.

Strat
01-08-2010, 10:24 AM
I have to admit, I stopped in the middle of Snowball yesterday to have a seat on one of the big manmade whales. However, I made sure I was very visible from all parts of the trail above me before I sat down, and plus it was after 3 pm on a Thursday, and I knew crowds were light (I had seen maybe 2 people on my way down there from the summit). Obviously I would never do this during any sort of high (or even medium) traffic time or on any trail much narrower than the avenue that is Snowball, but there was a nice view across to the Northfield Mountains, which had a layer of snow starting at a certain elevation being lit up by the sun, and plus, the whale I was sitting on top of was that crusty manmade stuff that no one would want to be skiing on anyway. It's all about being aware of who and what is around you, so you can make informed decisions about how to be safe on the mountain.

MntMan4Bush
01-08-2010, 10:33 AM
It always cracks me up that when a suggestion is made someone says relax. Like I'm over here jumping up and down like Yosemite Sam. Hey whatever. It's an observation on my part is all it is where a little effort could make things a bit nicer for all. I doubt by kindly asking people to move to the side anyone is going to feel like you've harshed them in any way and ruined their vacation. I'm not asking you to take a cattle prod to them and hitting them with a few thousand volts. As we've both said most people are just unaware of what they are doing so if it's pointed out in a friendly manner they'll get the picture and probably the next time they unload won't do it again. As I've said it's not a safety issue. No one has pulled up a card table and started playing Canasta on the ramp or laid out barb wire in the line like it's Checkpoint Charlie. It's a matter of consideration. For all that has been said of how well it's policed I have to say then that it is poorly done. Sorry to say it. Every Saturday I weave through a maze of people to get to the side. Sometimes I roll with a deep crew of 10+ people that don't have the convenience of being grouped together in line for ski school so there is separation. We still all manage to line up down the side of the hill or off to the side if heading to VH. It's because we are aware of it and at some point in my life when I learned to ski someone pointed it out to me.

But hey. What do I know. What do I care. I just do my thing and shake my head when I see it. Doesn't ruin my day, but it sure wouldn't hurt if it wasn't a part of it any more.

HowieT2
01-08-2010, 11:45 AM
It always cracks me up that when a suggestion is made someone says relax. Like I'm over here jumping up and down like Yosemite Sam. Hey whatever. It's an observation on my part is all it is where a little effort could make things a bit nicer for all. I doubt by kindly asking people to move to the side anyone is going to feel like you've harshed them in any way and ruined their vacation. I'm not asking you to take a cattle prod to them and hitting them with a few thousand volts. As we've both said most people are just unaware of what they are doing so if it's pointed out in a friendly manner they'll get the picture and probably the next time they unload won't do it again. As I've said it's not a safety issue. No one has pulled up a card table and started playing Canasta on the ramp or laid out barb wire in the line like it's Checkpoint Charlie. It's a matter of consideration. For all that has been said of how well it's policed I have to say then that it is poorly done. Sorry to say it. Every Saturday I weave through a maze of people to get to the side. Sometimes I roll with a deep crew of 10+ people that don't have the convenience of being grouped together in line for ski school so there is separation. We still all manage to line up down the side of the hill or off to the side if heading to VH. It's because we are aware of it and at some point in my life when I learned to ski someone pointed it out to me.

But hey. What do I know. What do I care. I just do my thing and shake my head when I see it. Doesn't ruin my day, but it sure wouldn't hurt if it wasn't a part of it any more.

Equip the ambassadors with tasers. that would be entertaining.

Lostone
01-08-2010, 09:16 PM
I doubt by kindly asking people to move to the side anyone is going to feel like you've harshed them in any way

Seems pretty simple. Logical and pretty easy. And wrong. :(

You'd have to be there to see. At the lifts and in the parking lot, 95% of the people realize that we're not trying to run their lives, and that we're trying to make it work for everyone. But that 5%... :shock:

And then, after you've asked them to move a little, and you come back and try to get them to move a little more... You'd have to be there.

Like I say, we try to make sure the ramp is clear, and people can get off, but to maintain traveling paths... you'd have to try it a couple times, to see. :wink:

mattlucas
01-08-2010, 10:26 PM
in all seriousness, a great place to stop is the food coop in Putney on 91.
They have amazing sandwiches and great groceries and it's not that far off the highway.

Brew Ski
01-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Just a reminder about where to stop and who has the right of way.

The National Ski Areas Association, the National Ski Patrol, and the Professional Ski Instructors Association officially endorse the following Responsibility Code, and remind you that it is a condition of skiing:

National Ski Patrol Responsibility Code

* Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects.
* People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.
* You must not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above.
* Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and yield to others.
* Always use devices to help prevent runaway equipment.
* Observe all posted signs and warnings. Keep off closed trails and out of closed areas.
* Prior to using any lift, you must have the knowledge and ability to load, ride and unload

This should make most of this discussion clear.
The code use to be printed on all the napkins in the base lodges.
Perhaps Sugarbush should put up huge signs in the lodge, reminder signs in the bathrooms, and signs by the lifts top and bottom.
With the strong push to bring new skiers and ridrs to the sport, it seems prudent to teach them the skiers responsibility code. Apparently long time skiers also need to be reminded!
Most especially, the Yield to skiers when starting. I see this violation all the time all over the mountain, and it can be very dangerous.

MntMan4Bush
01-11-2010, 12:33 PM
There's a difference between "running people's lives" and a gentle suggestion. If the suggestion is ignored then those people are a lost cause and forget about them. No pestering or pursuit needed. It was an attempt at least to educate the unaware. I'm not trying to make a dramatic change. Just trying to give some notice to those who don't realize they are in the way and who actually care. I'm sure if you said once "Could you please move to the sides of the trail to boot up and get ready to make room for others to get by" the response would more often then not be "Oh I'm sorry. Sure" If you run into someone that says "F off old man. You don't what you're talking about!! I'll kick your skull in then dance like Angus Young on your grave" then by all means let them be. Or buy them a 5 hour energy drink. Perhaps their blood sugar is low.

I find that when someone is standing in the way for instance in the lodge where I can't get by if I offer a simple "excuse me" or "can I get by" they more often then not had no clue they were in the way, apologize and move aside. Then I usually don't see them standing there again later.

So simply I made a suggestion. If no one feels there's value to it then so be it. I'm sure it's a ton of effort to say something anyways. I realize it's a never ending pursuit and perhaps little pay off. Just something I noticed that would be nice. File it away in circular storage if you want then.

ridelikeme
01-11-2010, 04:30 PM

I just ride over the gear if it's in the way... :twisted:

vonski
01-11-2010, 07:04 PM

I just ride over the gear if it's in the way... :twisted:

I agree but I ski on my bottoms not on my tops of my skis! :shock: :twisted: