PDA

View Full Version : Good Holiday Week?

MntMan4Bush
01-04-2010, 10:07 AM
My question is more from the mountain's point of view. I got up Tuesday night and apart from a new found hatred for Josh Fox and my willingness to deport him to cannibalistic tribe living in Southeast Asia I had a great week. My question is how did the mountain do? It seemed like there was no one there. I know the Bush rarely has crowds or lift wait times, but on holiday weekends there is at least some crowd visible. Yet the SBX, VD, and NL were all like a ghost town all week/weekend. This was even on Saturday when the HG chair was like sitting on a mountain top on Hoth and very few braved it and the low visibility.

Looking at the parking lot it seemed like a lot of people were there and I think I heard rumors in the bar that it was one of SB's better Saturdays in terms of attendance. If this is the case where the hell was everyone except in line for the men's room which is where I saw the largest wait times. That could have been from everyone getting a concussion on the wooden glove rack. It seems a lot of people have a problem peeing and not being aware of the area surrounding their head.

smootharc
01-04-2010, 10:32 AM
It seems a lot of people have a problem peeing and not being aware of the area surrounding their head.

...the barn door WIDE open.

I'm going to refrain from jumping in here... :D

01-04-2010, 11:13 AM
It seems a lot of people have a problem peeing and not being aware of the area surrounding their head.

awww, c'mon... jump in.....

vonski
01-04-2010, 11:47 AM

awww, c'mon... jump in.....

I hate it when I bang the tree branch above my head when going and get snow down my back! :shock: :lol:

shadyjay
01-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Saturday was definitely the busiest day of the holiday week, numbers-wise. We had quite the crowd at North Lynx but it moved right along - the chairs on NL are spaced closer and come faster than those at Heaven's Gate. And with all 16 lifts and 111 trails open, there's plenty of places for everyone to move about, plus the woods, Slide Brook, all bars and lodges, etc etc.

The 08/09 holiday period was NOTHING like this year's... remember it r@!#ned most of holiday week last year, and we had no North Lynx. Numbers were up all around this year from what I've heard, and I heard nothing but good things from everyone all week. Everyone just seemed to be in a much better mood ... then again, I wasn't scanning this year and the new scanners do work 10000x better than the old ones so that makes a big difference right there. Good snow conditions and being 100% open helps as well!

Thanks to those who came out and hope to see you on the lift again soon!

MntMan4Bush
01-04-2010, 10:47 PM
I had no idea the scanners were new. To say they work better is a gross understatement like saying Jessica Alba looks OK when soaking wet. One of the scanners hit me from 3 feet away through 6 feet of solid reinforced concrete. At least it felt that way compared to the old ones. That guy was like Wild Bill mowing down buffalo. The new scanners are a welcome addition.

I was just curious as to how Saturday held up to not just past Xmas weekends, but other holidays in general. I'm definitely in agreement that on any given Saturday, if all lifts are spinning, the Bush has very little waiting, and even less if you know where to go and at what times. On holidays and some busy weekends though there can be a little wait, although nothing compared to other mountains. This last week though I didn't feel like there was any waiting or any crowds to be seen. The longest lift line was GH from what I saw and even that was not the worst it's ever been It only looks that way because of the newer lift coral settings that forces everyone to one side. Maybe a 3-5 minute wait tops. Given the fact that no one was on HG chair because it was a little chilly.........I would have thought lines would have been longer elsewhere. So were numbers down, on par or up for a holiday weekend status or did the Bush find some secret time space continuum to hide excess skiers?

djd66
01-04-2010, 11:39 PM
Speaking of the scanners,... what is the deal with using RFID??? Why don't they utilize this technology? It would seem so much more efficient than those scanners (they are so 1990!) With RFID you could have a "Fast Lane" for anyone with a RFID chip embedded in their pass. Does such a system cost too much money? It would certainly be more effective in scanning people. There is nothing worse than waiting in line watching empty chairs go up cause you are waiting to be scanned. It does not happen that often, but it does happen. Scanning can be a minor inconvenience and I understand why they must scan everyone, but I think with technology there is a much better way.

Hawk
01-05-2010, 07:51 AM
A few thoughts from last week..... Powderpuff and I came up on Christmas night for a 9 day tour. The week started out with some nice turns. Saturday and Sunday were very nice with the weather scaring away most people. I have got to tell you that the soft snow after the r*#n stopped was outstanding. Then the cold set in. Brrrrrr. It has been colder before but for some reason Monday and Tuesday just hurt. Maybe I didn't have my mid winter Cold conditioning yet. Then the snow started. Wednesday and Thursday were excellent with run after run in the woods and in slidebrook. I have to give a big thank you to the hardcore Slidebrook junkies. Late in the day Wednesday I was headed home to my condo. I passed the entrance to VR (Door # 1) and no one had been in. I thought this to be very odd considering the amount of work this summer that the crew did to clean it up. I shrugged and headed for Vodka-Tonic land. The next morning we headed back up at 9 am. Guess what.....Yahooooo! Best run of my early season. So thanks guys. You do know who you are. :wink:

Anyway, we headed out on Thursday after that to do the route 2 shuffle to Sunday River to visit the old friends. Made some good rackett and butchered all my favorite tunes. Playing music just never gets old. It snowed about a foot or so over night on Sat. so the sking was great. Went with a couple of my old woods buddies and nailed all the old lines we cut years ago. Good stuff. On days like that I miss that place.......Ah.....well maybe not. :wink:

Good skiing and happy new years to all.

kcyanks1
01-05-2010, 09:57 AM
Speaking of the scanners,... what is the deal with using RFID??? Why don't they utilize this technology? It would seem so much more efficient than those scanners (they are so 1990!) With RFID you could have a "Fast Lane" for anyone with a RFID chip embedded in their pass. Does such a system cost too much money? It would certainly be more effective in scanning people. There is nothing worse than waiting in line watching empty chairs go up cause you are waiting to be scanned. It does not happen that often, but it does happen. Scanning can be a minor inconvenience and I understand why they must scan everyone, but I think with technology there is a much better way.

Just got back from Alta. They use RFID. Every lift I was one except for one had little gates that you had to pass through. You just moved up near it and the gate opened. I don't like RFID for many purposes do to privacy reasons, but for a ski pass I'm fine with it.

summitchallenger
01-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Does not discuss SB, but has some interesting comments about Killington....

http://www.vpr.net/news_detail/86800/

Tin Woodsman
01-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Does not discuss SB, but has some interesting comments about Killington....

http://www.vpr.net/news_detail/86800/

Indeed. I wonder if they are the only major resort that is down this year. The gang that couldn't shoot straight.

summitchallenger
01-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Indeed. I wonder if they are the only major resort that is down this year. The gang that couldn't shoot straight.

Actually, what was interesting was that Killington was down and Pico was up...in part because of their discount pass program.

Okemo was up...which was Killington's target competitor.

HowieT2
01-05-2010, 05:13 PM
K-mart has a serious image problem that is going to take some time to rehabilitate.

Tin Woodsman
01-05-2010, 08:25 PM

Actually, what was interesting was that Killington was down and Pico was up...in part because of their discount pass program.

Okemo was up...which was Killington's target competitor.

I don't think it's surprising that customers have responded to the appropriate positioning of Pico as Killington's answer to Mt. Ellen. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that value-pricing a massively under-utilized asset like Pico for the substantial local market in Rut-vegas is a good idea. More interesting was the Mothership's continued slide into statistical irrelevance despite far better snow than last year. That Okemo was up while K-Mart was down is the real take-away here.

summitchallenger
01-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Killington said that their goal in 2007-2008 was to reduce crowding. But honestly, having declining sales for three seasons in a row can't be a good thing for the bottom line I would imagine.

Tin Woodsman
01-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Killington said that their goal in 2007-2008 was to reduce crowding. But honestly, having declining sales for three seasons in a row can't be a good thing for the bottom line I would imagine.

I think if you were to look at the record, K-Mart would show declining skier visits for almost a decade. Don't forget the malaise of the later ASC years.

I'm sure the bean-counters at POWDR have it in their head that declining skier visits are OK so long as they continue to increase their yield (which, by all accounts, they did substantially in years 1-2) but you have to wonder what the long-term implications to Killington's brand are. They don't really stand for anything other than sprawl now that they are no longer acting like the Beast of the East (new PR firm slogan notwithstanding).

boze
01-06-2010, 07:15 AM
While it's a narrow focus group of sorts, of the six K-mart vacation home & condo owners I know two have decided to make Sugarbush their regular ski destination. Co-worker still rents his K-mart condo as he's no need to sell in the current market, and in turn rents a spot on Lincoln Peak. States he's done with the K-mart & plans to sell his condo when market recovers a bit. The other is a college buddy, who sold his K-mart spot and bought home off 100 in Waitsfield. Same reasons. It really is better here.

NU88
01-06-2010, 08:27 AM
While it's a narrow focus group of sorts, of the six K-mart vacation home & condo owners I know two have decided to make Sugarbush their regular ski destination. Co-worker still rents his K-mart condo as he's no need to sell in the current market, and in turn rents a spot on Lincoln Peak. States he's done with the K-mart & plans to sell his condo when market recovers a bit. The other is a college buddy, who sold his K-mart spot and bought home off 100 in Waitsfield. Same reasons. It really is better here.

Well, just last year were in search for a second home and stayed at Okemo, Killington and the Bush. Hands down we went with Sugarbush and are glad we did. The customer service, lack of lift lines, and overall quality of product cannot be compared. I hope the mountain had a good week.

djd66
01-06-2010, 04:11 PM
I was a loyal K customer (and employee - long time ago). I started skiing Sugarbush when you could ski Sugarbush with a Killington pass. (thanks Les) Originally we would drive up from Pittsfield on a Saturday and then ski K on Sunday. I got real sick of the clouds and overall Chaos at Killington. I remember skiing there during the week sometimes and half the lifts would be shut down and base Lodges would not be offering any services. Long story short,... got married had kids and decided to make Sugarbush my home when we purchased property up there. I don't really like Cool-aide, but it is better up here! From what I hear, Killington is not gaining new customers and not taking care of their existing customers. Sugarbush on the other hand,... the owner is on this board regularly and personally responds to concerns. To me, I could not ask for better customer service and I wish other companies would follow this example.

MntMan4Bush
01-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Yes, yes, yes. We can all bash K-Mart with the best of them. It's like putting Kate Moss in the ring with Evander Holyfield mentioning Killington on this board. K-Mart does cater to a different crowd. You can't deny that they do tons more snow making then the Bush and offer much more nightlife options and apres. They also have some pretty good bump runs for a lousy two bit mountain...... The fact that I have skied the Bush loyally (30-40 days a season) with only a couple forays to MRG and Jay for the past 8 years and none to Killington shows what I prefer. But hey. To each their own.

In any event this will be my last attempt at trying to keep this thread on topic. Does anyone know the numbers Sugarbush posted this last Saturday. I'm just curious. I heard rumors in the bar after skiing that it was in the vicinity of 6500 people. Could this be even close to accurate. It certainly didn't feel like that many or maybe I'm misunderstanding what a lot of people constitutes.

shadyjay
01-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Between the two mountains, it was over 7000 from what I've heard.

Tin Woodsman
01-06-2010, 05:32 PM

That's a pretty big number for SB. Good work.

As for the Kool-Aid comments, there's a difference between loving the mountain (count me in) and thinking it can't do any wrong or be improved (Kool-Aid Krew). We're all here b/c we think it's better than the rest. That doesn't mean it's perfect.

random_ski_guy
01-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Interesting stuff on skier visits.

So where is the Win-ster? He has been mighty quiet of late.

win
01-06-2010, 07:47 PM
SHHH!

I am in Utah with my family for my son's 30th birthday and the skiing is better at The Bush! The two week Holiday period was quite good, and we had three days in a row with over 6,000 skier visits. The highest was Saturday with nearly 6,800. Our all time record is 8,400. Anything over 6,000 for us is a very good day. The big surprise of the Holidays for me was how busy we were on New Year's Day. It was the busiest New Year's Day in our memory.

Since I am away it will likely keep snowing. See you soon!

shadyjay
01-06-2010, 08:01 PM
My apologies with the inaccurate number...no guarantees from my sources. Still it was really busy.

I think one thing that does help the lift line issue, especially this year, is having all terrain 100% open, along with all lifts. This year, we had North Lynx which we didn't have until mid January during 08/09. We also had SBX, Valley House, etc etc. The Lynx does take pressure off of Gate House. I never made it down to the bottom on 1/2 so I couldn't judge the status of the corral, but we had a pretty steady stream at NL that kept us quite busy. And of course with NL, not all who go up end up coming down our way.

HowieT2
01-06-2010, 08:14 PM
That's well deserved good news for the whole community. Should be a good season.

with respect to the recent skimrv SB lovefest, interesting what a solid couple of weeks of good conditions will do for everyones demeanor. A psychiatry student could do a study comparing the threads from now to those from around thanksgiving. Think snow.

Tin Woodsman
01-06-2010, 08:39 PM
SHHH!

I am in Utah with my family for my son's 30th birthday and the skiing is better at The Bush! The two week Holiday period was quite good, and we had three days in a row with over 6,000 skier visits. The highest was Saturday with nearly 6,800. Our all time record is 8,400. Anything over 6,000 for us is a very good day. The big surprise of the Holidays for me was how busy we were on New Year's Day. It was the busiest New Year's Day in our memory.

Since I am away it will likely keep snowing. See you soon!

Wow - that's probably about 6-8% of the total for the season over a three day period. Just serves to underline how important the holidays are for the mtn.

djd66
01-06-2010, 10:25 PM

That's a pretty big number for SB. Good work.

As for the Kool-Aid comments, there's a difference between loving the mountain (count me in) and thinking it can't do any wrong or be improved (Kool-Aid Krew). We're all here b/c we think it's better than the rest. That doesn't mean it's perfect.

Nothing is perfect Tin, but sometimes you have to appreciate what you have.

MntMan4Bush
01-06-2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the numbers Win. That is impressive and even more so considering how quiet it all seemed.

Shady - You have a point that NL was open so it allowed skiers to disperse, but even during February vacation and MLK day when the numbers get close to 7k and everything is open the lines seem much longer. Maybe the new guns made a big impact or maybe not everyone skied a full day owing to some late night activities on Friday. You could even consider that Saturday, for all intents and purposes, HG was "closed" as practically no one was on it due to the cold and snow guns. I know the several times I went up it was a ghost town, but well worth the snow beneath.

shadyjay
01-07-2010, 02:20 AM
I know first hand on Friday 1/1, it started out really slow, but we were slammed in the afternoon. Many of us were expecting a slow day... not the busy day we ended up having. Perhaps it was because of the day of the week that New Year's fell on, being the start of another weekend. Of course its hard for me to judge the crowd as I'm not in the base area.

I can also assure that those new guns are 100000x better than the old ones, if not just for speed of scanning, but also the battery life. Last year, the batteries would last anywhere from 1 to 50 scans. With percentage readouts of remaining battery, and after numerous scans and only seeing a change of -2% in battery life, it is saving a lot of aggrevation over the previous scanners. Hence, with more people being scanned more quickly, the number of empty chairs going up due to folks caught in the line is reduced and limited only to those not prepared to move into position quick enough.

I still remember my first days of skiing (yes, I used to ski) the Bush, Holiday period 1991-1992 and 1992-1993. Back during those days, the only route open from top of the SUGAR Bravo was Downspout. Spring Fling was also open (accessed by the SF Triple), as was Hot Shot and Pushover off the Gate House double. North had most of its terrain open since there was more snowmaking there. But for those first couple of years, they were severely lacking natural snowfall for holiday week. And every time I bump at North Lynx today (which of course was the Sugar Bravo), I wonder how sore the op's arm must've been after a busy day being "the lift" to the midstation. It wasn't until holiday week 1993-94 when natural snow permitted me to ride up Heaven's Gate and attempt the North Link poma.

Wow have times changed... for the better here!

Tin Woodsman
01-07-2010, 02:20 PM

There's a fine line between appreciating what one has and complacency.

Hawk
01-07-2010, 03:15 PM

Yes Tin you are right. But the flip side of this board is that when people come on here and complain all the time, people start to tune out. There are a large contingency of people who do not come on here anymore because they say it is mostly negative. The nic-name for the board lately is the MRV Bitch-Board. I am sure that is not what Greg and you guys originally intended.

Personnally I would love to see more trail reports....more stoke...more weather reports....freindly conversation about....skiing....more ribbing of you guys from New York. :wink: I'm not saying to stop suggesting new ideas or improvements just not so much and so often.

That is all. As you were... 8)

Fourwide
01-07-2010, 03:42 PM
While I'm surely in the "Kool Aid" camp, I do think constructive criticism is helpful and that this board likely provides a valuable service in hosting it. However, I also believe that re-hashed criticism is not that helpful--no more snowmaking lectures (on either side), please! I also agree that the music in the "Tin Woodsman Annex" (back room of CRP) is way too loud.

MntMan4Bush
01-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Hawk - The flip side of your flip side is that some people don't come to the board any more because it sometimes turns into a giant Kunbaya My Lord Fest. I won't share the nickname the "others" give it to spare feelings. But too much "life is great" can also get annoying. Take for instance my buddy who puts in about 60+ days a year at the Bush. I see him all winter long, play hoops with him mid-week and golf all Spring, Summer and Fall. Throw in hiking and camping and I end up seeing this guy more then my wife. All off season all I hear is "I love skiing.", "Do you know how much I'd rather be skiing?", "I was skiing this one bump line and it was awesome", "I can't wait to start heading up to the Bush", "Skiing is great". etc. Well I myself love skiing but hearing about how great it is every day of the week tends to drive me to the point where I want to hit the guy in the head with a tack hammer. I haven't yet, but that's only because the ski season usually starts just in time. This year it was a close call with the delay. (He reads the board so he'll either get a kick out of that or start wearing a helmet in the off season)

In any event if everyone all has the same opinion and voices it continuously it gets old. This is for both complaints and compliments in my opinion.

Tin Woodsman
01-07-2010, 04:36 PM

Yes Tin you are right. But the flip side of this board is that when people come on here and complain all the time, people start to tune out. There are a large contingency of people who do not come on here anymore because they say it is mostly negative. The nic-name for the board lately is the MRV Bitch-Board. I am sure that is not what Greg and you guys originally intended.

Personnally I would love to see more trail reports....more stoke...more weather reports....freindly conversation about....skiing....more ribbing of you guys from New York. :wink: I'm not saying to stop suggesting new ideas or improvements just not so much and so often.

That is all. As you were... 8)
Then it sounds like that large contingency are taking their toys and going home. If they want to see more trail reports, stoke, weather and friendly conversation about skiing, the best way to do that is to post it themselves. I can't do it for them. What a cop out.

The only name I've noticed by his absence is Bark Biter, and he isn't exactly sorely missed.

HowieT2
01-07-2010, 04:36 PM

Isn't the fine line between genius and stupid?

Tin Woodsman
01-07-2010, 04:40 PM

Clever and stupid.

You had a woman, on all fours, with a glove shoved into her face!

HowieT2
01-07-2010, 04:42 PM

Clever and stupid.

Bravo! well played.

Tin Woodsman
01-07-2010, 04:44 PM

Clever and stupid.

Bravo! well played.

What's with the surge of Fran Drescher references today?

HowieT2
01-07-2010, 05:05 PM

Clever and stupid.

Bravo! well played.

What's with the surge of Fran Drescher references today?

Seriously? is she even alive anymore?
she was great as Bobby Flekman

vonski
01-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Seriously? is she even alive anymore?
she was great as Bobby Flekman

Not sure if you really want to dream about the Nanny any more. http://thesuperficial.com/2009/12/fran_drescher_in_a_bikini.php

Enjoy! :shock: :roll:

Tin Woodsman
01-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Not sure if you really want to dream about the Nanny any more. http://thesuperficial.com/2009/12/fran_drescher_in_a_bikini.php

Enjoy! :shock: :roll:

My eyes!!!!

She is most certainly no longer the hostess with the mostest.

MntMan4Bush
01-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Was there more then one reference today? If there was my bad. I didn't see it. I only read threads labeled "Stoke"

Hawk
01-08-2010, 08:35 AM
No that's my MO downer boy. :wink:

Brew Ski
01-10-2010, 08:47 AM
Tin woodsman wrote "The only name I've noticed by his absence is Bark Biter, and he isn't exactly sorely missed."

Speaking of the legend, "I followed the Bark Biter" up North Lynx. He said "hello" and headed off toward a secret stash. He called it the "men's trail", but without Jacques le Guide, I seriously doubted it.

I think 007 saw him going into a snow cave below the Church? The Legend grows!

01-10-2010, 11:16 AM
[quote="Brew Ski"]Tin woodsman wrote "The only name I've noticed by his absence is Bark Biter, and he isn't exactly sorely missed."

Speaking of the legend, "I followed the Bark Biter" up North Lynx. He said "hello" and headed off toward a secret stash. He called it the "men's trail", but without Jacques le Guide, I seriously doubted it.

I think 007 saw him going into a snow cave below the Church? The Legend grows![/quote

Barky was last spotted hucking The Church, headed for a cave; there was also evidence of him near one of Three Sisters and in the TW Annex at CRP.
IT has doubtlessly awakened from a short hibernation and emerged from the former den (the wine cellar of the Pitcher Inn).
I am planning to skin up into Slidebrook next week, armed with a bottle of chateauneuf du pape and some pungent fromage, to taunt the critter
from it's lair; with more to report soon.

barkbiter
01-11-2010, 01:26 PM
So you miss me Tin Woodless ??? Awwwwww that's so sweet. Notice three people have mentioned me already, including your Woodless self. I'd post more but I'm busy out skiing the woods! What are you up to ?
It's so fun meeting all the nice people out skiing the woods here at beautiful Sugarbush. Also so nice to NOT see you out there. Oh and the scraggly haired old SchoolMarm I see sitting all alone in the lunch room most of the day. At least clean up a little and get a haircut !!

007, you still haven't bought me that drink !
BrewSki.............you should follow the big boys sometime. Careful on that traverse into Slide Brook. My 6 year old niece reported that a famous Bush tree skier bounced around in the pinball trees in there and launched into the woods. Is he ok ?

Let me know how fast you guys will find a way to delete or move this. Go ahead ! My popularity only grows !

:P :P