PDA

View Full Version : Flagging in the woods....

Last Tracks
01-04-2010, 06:16 AM
wondering if the different colors of flagging in the woods mean anything. I see yellow, blue, red, classic orange, and others. also double flagged vs. a single flag?

i have theories on what the colors mean but maybe its just whatever is in the pack.

atkinson
01-04-2010, 08:33 AM
You are probably seeing several different projects. Some of the tape is for the new woods lines and may denote things not to cut or the outer edges. Other tape may represent proposed bike trails, and we use two pieces of tape to mark corners or direction changes. Another possibility is marking for snowshoe trails. There are also markings for various race routes, including the Rando Rally and Xterra.

As for the colors, red usually means don't cut, while yellow and orange are usually for the route marking. Some of the tape will come down as the trails are built, while others may stay up for longer periods.

Any other questions?

John

Last Tracks
01-04-2010, 02:57 PM
thanks John...

are there any patterns or colors that you use to mark areas that are dangerous such as cliff outs,, blowdowns, etc. within the areas that have been flagged in the last few years?

i've been enjoying your work all year.. very nice!

Strat
01-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Saw quite a few different colors today as well. Lots of blue in the new lower Semi-Tough Woods (which were phenomenal... like all other woods I visited).

gone.skiing
01-04-2010, 05:30 PM
are there any patterns or colors that you use to mark areas that are dangerous such as cliff outs,, blowdowns, etc. within the areas that have been flagged in the last few years?

That would be a dangerous path for liability reasons...

Strat
01-04-2010, 08:44 PM

That would be a dangerous path for liability reasons...
Unless they put the color code in some incredibly visible place... but that's a good call. Even if it were on the trail map, the sign for every woods trail, and at the base of each lift, someone could still cliff out and sue.

Last Tracks
01-05-2010, 05:30 AM
i don't think the flagging is intended to be used for the general public... i believe that its more for guiding past and future work or for helping blazer groups and others navigate the woods easily w/out ending up in a gully with 8 kids...

Hawk
01-05-2010, 07:14 AM
When surveying blue tape usually denotes water or wetlands....

John, didn't you guys have to do a ton of surveying for the forest service permits marking out all the forest types and features?

atkinson
01-05-2010, 10:14 AM
The flagging has little to do with guiding visitors through the woods and is not generally used to mark potential hazards. The main tape lines used for guiding are the race routes.

Some land features are marked with tape, like wetlands. There is a lot of surveying done for all federal, state and local permits. Due to the extended nature of the permitting process, this tape may have to stay in place for several years.

Employees leading groups in any season are required to know the terrain and current conditions, and use good group management to safely navigate terrain challenges. We also educate guests about appropriate travel techniques and best practices.

John