PDA

View Full Version : Tales of good deeds @ the Bush

muddy_hollow
01-03-2010, 06:46 AM
A number of posts here have focused on things that could be improved or went wrong at the Bush. I'd like to start a thread to post some of the positive things experienced or stories told of good deeds done at the Bush.... let's just call this the Bush fan boy thread 8)

So here's my tale: This guy I'm riding up with on Bravo is up from New York City visiting friends in Warren. As he lives in the city, he drives infrequently but he has a front wheel drive Volvo. Just after Christmas, ( I think it was Sunday), the weather made for slick conditions and there was a multi-car accident on the access road. The guy and his friends are already down at Tera Rosa and cannot go up nor can he go down the access road, he's stuck. So he parks his car and plans to wait it out with his friends. Win was there as well, either surveying the situation or making his way home. Either way, he's there in one of the Sugarbush company 4x4 SUVs and offers to give these folks a lift. So apparently, the guy, his buddies, and others got presidential shuttle service to far corners of the valley from Win.

I see Win almost as much as I see Atkinson with his gold helmet out and about..... and that's a great deal. (Frankly speaking, I'm convinced they've got Atkinson look-a-likes roaming the slopes and back woods)

Totally enjoyed this past week at the Bush and I was frequently reminded that good customer service has a great deal of effort that goes into it. I think the people at the Bush go a long way to make guests at the resort feel welcome.......and it all starts from the top.

Thanks for another super Holiday week guys!

Mudd

summitchallenger
01-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Good idea.

I know that a few years back Win (or someone who looked like him :wink: ) drove up to Roxbury Gap and helped some folks who were off the road. He threw their stuff in the SB SUV and drove them to Clay Brook.

I also know that my contacts with him have been very positive and that he and his staff have been very professional.

In March 2008 my bag got locked in Glen House and one of the lift supervisors was nice enough to take a snowmachine to the top and get it for me. He could have been :x with me, but he was nice enough to help out.

People complain a lot in here (some folks never cease to amaze me as to how one day they are expert aborists, and the next are snowmaking consultants, etc). and when folks try to have a constructive conversation some just have to make it personal for some reason. This is really unfortunate and some of us who post here recently talked about how this turn in attitude here and on other boards is part of a cycle and only hurts everyone because less information is shared.

Tin Woodsman
01-03-2010, 08:27 PM
I'm sure there will be a lot of content to post here. I'll chip in a story.

I was standing in line at the GH lodge waiting to turn in my CT sKi Club voucher for a ticket. Had it out in my hand when some people come in the doors, bringing cold and wind with them, and I reach to put my hands in my pockets. 30 seconds later, I realize that my voucher is no longer in my hand, and is in fact nowhere to be found. Well who is standing by the Guest Services desk by Win himself, who sees what's going on and, upon displaying my ski club membership card, gave me a replacement. Totally unnecessary and WELL beyond what would be expected at just about any other ski area.

People complain a lot in here, but it's almost never mean-spirited or non-constructive put-downs of the hill. If there's one thing that unites all of us here (otherwise, why would we have found this corner of the interwebz?), it's a pretty strong love of SB and the Valley as a whole. I'm glad we are able to bring all points of view to the table, otherwise mgmt is getting biased feedback solely from those drinking the Kool-Aid and/or on the payroll. I can think of no greater disservice to a business owner than to give him slanted or inaccurate feedback as to the true quality of his product. We were told to shut up and enjoy it when we said the CR Pub was too small. We were told to shut up and enjoy it when we said the boot/bag storage area in the new GH lodge was too small. We were told to shut up and enjoy it when the NL pod lay barren until mid January last year. It's pretty clear that employees and assorted hangers-on don't own the franchise on what constitutes a pleasant guest experience.

HowieT2
01-03-2010, 10:47 PM
I'm sure there will be a lot of content to post here. I'll chip in a story.

I was standing in line at the GH lodge waiting to turn in my CT sKi Club voucher for a ticket. Had it out in my hand when some people come in the doors, bringing cold and wind with them, and I reach to put my hands in my pockets. 30 seconds later, I realize that my voucher is no longer in my hand, and is in fact nowhere to be found. Well who is standing by the Guest Services desk by Win himself, who sees what's going on and, upon displaying my ski club membership card, gave me a replacement. Totally unnecessary and WELL beyond what would be expected at just about any other ski area.

People complain a lot in here, but it's almost never mean-spirited or non-constructive put-downs of the hill. If there's one thing that units all of us here (otherwise, why would we have found this corner of the interwebz), it's a pretty strong love of SB and the Valley as a whole. I'm glad we are able to bring all points of view to the table, otherwise mgmt is getting biased feedback solely from those drinking the Kool-Aid and/or on the payroll. I can think of no greater disservice to a business owner than to give him slanted or inaccurate feedback as to the true quality of his product. We were told to shut up and enjoy it when we said the CR Pub was too small. We were told to shut up and enjoy it when we said the boot/bag storage area in the new GH lodge was too small. We were told to shut up and enjoy it when the NL pod lay barren until mid January last year. It's pretty clear that employees and assorted hangers-on don't own the franchise on what constitutes a pleasant guest experience.

btw-bravo on getting NL skiing great this week. despite the crowds, I didn't notice much in the way of significant wait times at any lift, which I think is in no small part due to that.

Fourwide
01-04-2010, 10:03 AM
I have no problem with the armchair experts who chime in from time to time (Tin Woodsman, for instance). He's just voicing his opinion, and he seems to have done some research on a point or two. Regardless, it's just an opinion.

01-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Backpack left at CR Pub one late afternoon last week, and it was turned in to lost and found. Picked it up the following day, with ALL belongings intact. It's nice to call the place Home.

klop
01-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Ditto. Back in the days of walkie talkies my son lost his, someone found it on the slopes and called me. We met for the exchange in the mushroom.

Treeskier
01-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Found 2 goggle and a radio over the week. All turned in.

Now back to my snow dance.

Yard Sale
01-05-2010, 12:29 AM
I can think of no greater disservice to a business owner than to give him slanted or inaccurate feedback as to the true quality of his product. We were told to shut up and enjoy it when we said the CR Pub was too small. We were told to shut up and enjoy it when we said the boot/bag storage area in the new GH lodge was too small. We were told to shut up and enjoy it when the NL pod lay barren until mid January last year. It's pretty clear that employees and assorted hangers-on don't own the franchise on what constitutes a pleasant guest experience.

Alright, alright, Rosa ("Terrain") Parks, while I do agree with many of, if not most of your positions professed here in Skimrv, let's not get too carried away now about the weight they carry. And while we're at it, let's face it. You do have a bit of quick trigger finger on that Kool-Aid squirt gun coloring those who simply appreciate the well executed management of the Bush's limited resources as Hangers-on and Kool-Aid drinkers. Now don't get me wrong, it would be fool hardy to say that there are no hangers or Kool-Aid drinkers. Clearly, there are, and with good reason. The Kool Aid brewed at the Bush is naturally sweetened with success, and therefore naturally it is delicious. Mmmmmmm, I just took a sip. Further, your observations of limitations are generally well thought out and on target which also underscores your own obvious and genuine appreciation for the Bush.

To be fair though, I must admit it, it does seem plausible that the sentiments posted here do have a major impact on Management's decisions. After all, there is plenty of evidence to support this premise. Rant about pub? Bingo, bigger pub. Boot Room rant? Shazzam, additional boot room. Pleadings for a a fire pit, Poof: a fire pit. North Lynx dust up last year? POW! This year North Lynx is on line by New Years, Baby! Rant about the Gate House soda machine, and yes, voila . . . you guessed it, fizzier soda. Coincidences? Maybe. However, if this is rant/results premise holds true, then I hope that you are giving due consideration to the full impact of your typings.:roll: For instance, have you ever considered how many fan guns might be in operation right now were it not for your reluctance to drink outside like a hobo or an over aged punk/slack ass hanging on the corner (me) and insisting that Win add the "Tin Woodsman Annex" to the CRP. :P

So, while I applaud your refusal to "sit in the back of the proverbial mountain ops shuttle bus", (That's where the snowboarders are supposed to sit.:wink:), be careful what you wish for. We simple Kool-Aid folk are counting on you.

The Butterfly Effect, man, think about it. The rings of a pebble tossed into a still pond reach far beyond the shore.

I think, therefore I am a complete and utter . . . Yard Sale.

P.S. Could you put a bug in Win's ear about maybe putting a couple pool tables and maybe a fooz ball table perhaps in VH lodge?

Yard Sale
01-05-2010, 01:03 AM
Win to the rescue:
http://forums.skimrv.com/viewtopic.php?p=15522&highlight=#15522

Tin Woodsman
01-05-2010, 01:20 AM
I can think of no greater disservice to a business owner than to give him slanted or inaccurate feedback as to the true quality of his product. We were told to shut up and enjoy it when we said the CR Pub was too small. We were told to shut up and enjoy it when we said the boot/bag storage area in the new GH lodge was too small. We were told to shut up and enjoy it when the NL pod lay barren until mid January last year. It's pretty clear that employees and assorted hangers-on don't own the franchise on what constitutes a pleasant guest experience.

Alright, alright, Rosa ("Terrain") Parks, while I do agree with many of, if not most of your positions professed here in Skimrv, let's not get too carried away now about the weight they carry. And while we're at it, let's face it. You do have a bit of quick trigger finger on that Kool-Aid squirt gun coloring those who simply appreciate the well executed management of the Bush's limited resources as Hangers-on and Kool-Aid drinkers. Now don't get me wrong, it would be fool hardy to say that there are no hangers or Kool-Aid drinkers. Clearly, there are, and with good reason. The Kool Aid brewed at the Bush is naturally sweetened with success, and therefore naturally it is delicious. Mmmmmmm, I just took a sip. Further, your observations of limitations are generally well thought out and on target which also underscores your own obvious and genuine appreciation for the Bush.

To be fair though, I must admit it, it does seem plausible that the sentiments posted here do have a major impact on Management's decisions. After all, there is plenty of evidence to support this premise. Rant about pub? Bingo, bigger pub. Boot Room rant? Shazzam, additional boot room. Pleadings for a a fire pit, Poof: a fire pit. North Lynx dust up last year? POW! This year North Lynx is on line by New Years, Baby! Rant about the Gate House soda machine, and yes, voila . . . you guessed it, fizzier soda. Coincidences? Maybe. However, if this is rant/results premise holds true, then I hope that you are giving due consideration to the full impact of your typings.:roll: For instance, have you ever considered how many fan guns might be in operation right now were it not for your reluctance to drink outside like a hobo or an over aged punk/slack ass hanging on the corner (me) and insisting that Win add the "Tin Woodsman Annex" to the CRP. :P

So, while I applaud your refusal to "sit in the back of the proverbial mountain ops shuttle bus", (That's where the snowboarders are supposed to sit.:wink:), be careful what you wish for. We simple Kool-Aid folk are counting on you.

The Butterfly Effect, man, think about it. The rings of a pebble tossed into a still pond reach far beyond the shore.

I think, therefore I am a complete and utter . . . Yard Sale.

P.S. Could you put a bug in Win's ear about maybe putting a couple pool tables and maybe a fooz ball table perhaps in VH lodge?

Well played.

Lostone
01-05-2010, 08:32 AM
Just so that our helmets don't get totally cramped by our growing heads (to paraphrase something heard on a lift, one day :wink: ) you should realize there were other avenues of those same complaints.

Still, I believe there is an added benefit to this avenue of communication. (Or I probably would be here, less. 8) )

Now, if you'll excuse me, I will drink my maple-flavored kool-aid and head down town, so that I can get back and insure gravity is on, today. 8)

smootharc
01-05-2010, 09:20 AM
Backpack left at CR Pub one late afternoon last week, and it was turned in to lost and found. Picked it up the following day, with ALL belongings intact. It's nice to call the place Home.

...did you check your backpack to see if your MoJo was still there ? :wink:

01-05-2010, 12:11 PM

...did you check your backpack to see if your MoJo was still there ? :wink:Man biscuits were in there, but haven't packed the mojo yet.

Tin Woodsman
01-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Just so that our helmets don't get totally cramped by our growing heads (to paraphrase something heard on a lift, one day :wink: ) you should realize there were other avenues of those same complaints.

Still, I believe there is an added benefit to this avenue of communication. (Or I probably would be here, less. 8) )

Now, if you'll excuse me, I will drink my maple-flavored kool-aid and head down town, so that I can get back and insure gravity is on, today. 8)
I'm certainly under no illusions that anyone on this board is able to single-handedly "move the needle" with respect to these issues. That said, it's certainly one unfiltered channel for feedback that doesn't suffer from selection bias when doing surveys. Almost by definition, some of the most passionate skiers at SB are on this board, so it's a pretty good reflection of what some of the more knowledgeable (or familiar or whatever) customers are thinking. I don't think it's a coincidence that many of the issues we've bitched about here have been subsequently addressed. I certainly don't post complaints/observations just to see my name on the screen. I just call a spade a spade, most of which ends up being self-evident.

Last Tracks
01-05-2010, 03:27 PM
2 rides up the lincoln limo last year during a post dump - windhold day. passholder extra!

01-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the reminder about the complimentary Limo rides last season; the customer service was truly outstanding that day, very well managed, and the ride down through Christmas Tree even more spectacular.
~
There's also Little Debbies, Water, Heat, and a spectacular view at the Castlerock Warming hut, in between laps down Rumble on those days when a less than temperate climate prevails..., all of which are trully unique offerings.
~
Yes, at times the Koolaid (as some prefer to call it) is really tasty....; Cogito sumere potum alterum!

smootharc
01-06-2010, 09:57 AM
There's also Little Debbies

Little Debbies. When you absolutely, positively want to assure your calories have no nutritional value whatsoever. That's why they taste so damn good ! As to their addictive qualities, the second ingredient (right after sugar) is nicotine. Great for kiddies ! :lol:

vonski
01-06-2010, 03:56 PM
I got a voucher for the third day of rentals for my sons friend due to windholds at Ellen on Sunday! Guest Services was happy to oblige!