PDA

View Full Version : Windholds....

summitchallenger
12-22-2009, 03:40 PM
I've noticed that we've had two days in a row of windholds at ME and the upper parts of Lincoln Peak. I'm going tomorrow and am hoping that there will not be a third day in a row, but if Mount Ellen lifts don't open, what is the deal if you are a ME Plus Passholder or a straight ME passholder? Any chance that the mountain will let these folks ski at LP on days where the winds close all of Mount Ellen?

vonski
12-22-2009, 04:03 PM
I've noticed that we've had two days in a row of windholds at ME and the upper parts of Lincoln Peak. I'm going tomorrow and am hoping that there will not be a third day in a row, but if Mount Ellen lifts don't open, what is the deal if you are a ME Plus Passholder or a straight ME passholder? Any chance that the mountain will let these folks ski at LP on days where the winds close all of Mount Ellen?

I am pretty sure you have to use one of your 5 days or buy a ticket. In the past, it would roll to a sugar card price if you skied and scanned the season pass for Ellen at South. Friends of mine went to the plus card because of this reason. Sucks when you drive up from CT and then can't ski cause Ellen is on wind hold all day. Looked at forecast that gives wind and it says 20 mph tomorrow, so should be okay if no major gusts going on.

Good Luck!

Try an email to Win, It worked for someone else apparently for other reasons!!!! :shock: :lol:

NU88
12-22-2009, 04:38 PM
I'm sure that's part of the reason why the mountain offers different pass options. This year my family purchased ME plus passes so we had more options. We were up last week and the "plus" option came in handy. ME did not have any beginner terrain open so my wife and daughter spent time over at the Gate House lift while my son and I were over at Bravo. We'll probably use some of the other days at Lincoln Peak on cold windy days. That's a good question though, I was wondering the same thing...

summitchallenger
12-23-2009, 08:27 AM
OK, but I'm not sure if folks who come to ski and can't are going to want to buy a ticket at LP or burn one of their days.

Also, do these passholders get access to the Lincoln Limo when gratis as other guests did on Monday when the lifts were down?

Hawk
12-23-2009, 10:02 AM
This kind of thing always comes up. I think the bottom line is that when you make a personel decision to buy a discounted pass with limited services then you get what you get. The Ellen pass is a single mountain pass. What you are asking is like someone from Smuggs asking if they can ski at Stowe when the lifts are on windhold. As someone that paid full price it is hard to agree with people who want more and paid less.

summitchallenger
12-23-2009, 03:59 PM
This kind of thing always comes up. I think the bottom line is that when you make a personel decision to buy a discounted pass with limited services then you get what you get. The Ellen pass is a single mountain pass. What you are asking is like someone from Smuggs asking if they can ski at Stowe when the lifts are on windhold. As someone that paid full price it is hard to agree with people who want more and paid less.

Stowe and Smuggs is not at all a good analogy--two completely different ownerships and managements.

And as to the underlying argument, windholds for days on end is not a risk that anyone assumes. Nor having the main lift constantly closed because of mechanical problems.

Would you say the same the statement to someone who walked up to the window at ME and bought a ticket, only to have the mountain close due to winds 20 minutes later?

The bottom line is that all passes are Sugarbush passes. My question was if there was any thoughts as to what to do for the passholders/ticketed skiers and riders who can't ski or ride even though they paid for it because of wind.

It is not a big deal for me. I have had pretty good luck and I have a Plus pass and to be honest the lifts weren't on hold for me today.

skibum1321
12-23-2009, 04:07 PM
I would have to agree with Hawk on this one - you bought the cheaper pass to MEllen and therefore, if the mountain is closed then you shouldn't be able to automatically upgrade to LP. You can use one of your 5 days at South, which is what seems right.

djd66
12-23-2009, 08:08 PM
I agree with Hawk also. I paid for an all mountain pass, if lifts go down on Lincoln peak, I can ski Mt. Ellen or vice versa. The way I see it, if there were not a Mt. Ellen only pass, my ALL MOUNTAIN PASS would be less expensive. Sorry if you opted for the less expensive pass and there are wind holds. Perhaps if there were mechanical issues I could see your point.

HowieT2
12-23-2009, 09:11 PM
I agree with Hawk also. I paid for an all mountain pass, if lifts go down on Lincoln peak, I can ski Mt. Ellen or vice versa. The way I see it, if there were not a Mt. Ellen only pass, my ALL MOUNTAIN PASS would be less expensive. Sorry if you opted for the less expensive pass and there are wind holds. Perhaps if there were mechanical issues I could see your point.

+1

summitchallenger
12-23-2009, 09:56 PM
Perhaps if there were mechanical issues I could see your point.

You obviously have not ridden NRX...........