PDA

View Full Version : Mad River Bus

snafu
11-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Hi,

have a couple questions on the Mad Bus -

Will the bus stop only at certain designated stops or will it pick someone up on the side of the road? I am looking at some places on German Flats Road, and it looks like there are about 4 different Mad Buses that use that Road many times a day. I have never been to Sugarbush before and I am wondering if I can rely on the Mad Bus for transportation. So will I have to plan on using certain bus stops or as long as I am on the side of the road and give a wave will it pull over?

Also could anyone give me their opinion on the Mad Bus - convenient? overcrowded? not worth it?

Thanks

J

vonski
11-16-2009, 11:30 AM
The bus will stop anywhere on German Flats. However, You need to be on the same side of the street generally and in a safe place to have it stop. If your standing at a snow bank with no place to pull over and on a blind hill it probably won't stop. But if your standing at a big driveway entrance or street intersection it should stop. At least that is what I have seen in the past. I am sure someone will chime in with precise info. The bus is reliable and does run regular schedule. I have used it many times and have been happy with the service. The only time it gets real crowded is when there is a big dump and lots of people coming out of slidebrook.

Lostone
11-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Other than the Slidebrook exit, I think the bus is sadly underused. It is a great resource, and can greatly reduce the area travels, and (very important) the hassels of getting a good parking spot. (I've seen people circling the lot 5 times! :roll: ) The bus drops you off at the top.

Also good for getting down into town and back without having to start (or even clean off?) your car.

The rules are that they will pick people up whenever it is safe to do so.

This year they are implementing a limit as to how many people are allowed to stand, so that is something to take into consideration when deciding to wander off the other side, on crowded weekends.

vonski
11-16-2009, 11:48 AM
This year they are implementing a limit as to how many people are allowed to stand, so that is something to take into consideration when deciding to wander off the other side, on crowded weekends.

It does pay sometimes to go to the other side and catch it to Ellen first. It may take longer but ur guaranteed a ride back to South if it is real busy.

Plowboy
11-16-2009, 05:33 PM
It does pay sometimes to go to the other side and catch it to Ellen first. It may take longer but ur guaranteed a ride back to South if it is real busy.

Hey :arrow: Your giving away a secret stash. :lol:

gone.skiing
11-16-2009, 05:46 PM
The only time it gets real crowded is when there is a big dump and lots of people coming out of slidebrook.

or if Slidebrook chair is not running.

snafu
11-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Cool, so if I'm in an appropriate safe location on the right side of the street the bus should stop. Is it safe to assume I can be dropped off at the same spot if requested?

J

Lostone
11-16-2009, 08:33 PM
They almost always try to accommodate their passengers and encourage ridership.

noski
11-17-2009, 03:52 PM
Good counsel from all of you. May I also add that Saturday night you get free bus up till 2am. You just call 496-RIDE and they pick you up and drop you off, taxi-style.

noski
12-02-2009, 02:35 PM
http://www.madrivervalley.com/vermont/transportation/index.asp?contID=23

Schedules are now posted on the chamber site. Printed schedules are being delivered today. I am happy to mail one to anyone who PM's with request/mailing address. Ride on! You find this online anytime at www.MadRiverValley.com and click on MadBus icon at bottom.