PDA

View Full Version : Snow Tires

Yard Sale
11-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Currenlty on all season runflats on the toyota minivan. They've been fine in all weather even over the gap roads. However, with a few miles on them and our weekly wintertime 400 mile round trip my concern for their continued performance is growing. I'm thinking of going pure snow tire. so. . .

What is your weapon of choice? Brand, studs, no studs, etc.

notorious
11-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Without a doubt, Nokian Hakkapelittas, studded if your can stand the road noise, particularly if the minivan is not 4-wheel drive. I'd never drive the gaps in winter w/o 4-wheel and snow tires. The one slide that you don't take justifies the $.

Yard Sale
11-03-2009, 12:11 PM
It is AWD, and generally does pretty good. It has crappy accoustics, so I think my wife, the weekday driver of the vehicle, would revolt if I put the studs on it.

WWF-VT
11-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Two AWD cars for our family that also makes the 400+ mile round trip from the Boston area. One car has Dunlop Wintersport 3D's which maybe better on dryroads and are quieter than the Firestone Winterforce tires on the other car

ski_resort_observer
11-03-2009, 01:10 PM
I have been running with good all season radials for over 40 years and they work great, in Vermont and Wyoming. Good tires are very important but IMHO it's more important, to slow down when the roads are dicey and giving the vehicle in front of you more room, to avoid trouble.

boze
11-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Back to tires: I've also had the Dunlop Wintersport 3D's on my FWD Acura for couple seasons and they rock. Without them the excessive torque would simply spin the fronts w/ the stock all-seasons (which is a misnomer at best). For the Pacifica we run Bridgestone Blizzaks and they are like glue. Neither generates above-normal road noise (neither are studded) and the Dunlops have noticeably less side-to-side sway due their stiffer sidewall to better serve their performance target market.

teleo
11-03-2009, 03:25 PM
+1 for Nokian Hakkapelittas

sgottmann
11-03-2009, 10:22 PM
+1 on the Blizzaks, especially on ice. I have had multiple vehicles since 1993 (both FWD and AWD) in CO, NY, & VT with Blizzaks and swear by them. I have heard good things about Michelin X-ice tires as well but they are more expensive. One thing to be aware of is performance on wet roads -- many winter tires have problems with hydroplaning.

TreeBandit
11-04-2009, 12:17 PM
+1 for Nokian Hakkapelittas, studded - been running these on my 2WD Volvo wagan for 20 year back and forth to VT from CT in dry, ice and 15 inchs of snow without a single issue.

I do have to note that I run snow all-around (4 tires) and I get new snows tires every year because I travel to VT every weekend from Nov- April.

gone.skiing
11-05-2009, 08:16 AM
+1 Dunlop Wintersport 3D. Seem sufficient for AWD car. Coming up on third season of 450 miles per weekend + regular driving.

HowieT2
11-05-2009, 12:09 PM
just got my first set of Blizzaks. So far so good on dry road.

FWIW-a great resource is tirerack.com. they have user reviews that are very helpful.

gone.skiing
11-05-2009, 01:11 PM
+1 on tirerack

Tin Woodsman
11-06-2009, 01:24 AM
Lots of great advice here, both with respect to tire choices and places to learn.

I've had two sets of Hakkas and loved them. Currently using Blizzaks and am extremely happy. Made the switch in part due to cost and in part due to ratings that had them equal or superior to the Hakkas in most respects.