PDA

View Full Version : Audio Helmet Recommendations?

happygirl
11-02-2009, 02:50 AM
I'm looking for a good,comfortable audio helmet. Any thoughts?

gratefulskier
11-02-2009, 08:27 AM
This is certainly not the answer you want to hear, but I'd suggest that you just not do it.

Being able to hear other people who are close to you on the mountain is an important part of avoiding collisions and not getting hurt.

I know that I'll never win the argument with people who love to have their tunes while skiing or riding, but being an instructor, I always think about safety first. Going to the clinic is never fun. I would love to ski with tunes, but the risk just seems to high to me.

GS

Lostone
11-02-2009, 08:58 AM
1) Moved to Misc.

B) I would take a mid-point from grateful. Remember that control that controls the volume of the sound from the player. I like to listen to tunes (Cheap version, with earbuds, so I have no knowledge of the audio helmets.) while I ski, but he is right. The most important thing is to know what is around you.

You can keep the sounds to be a background... And you should. Your body might be more important that the song. :wink:

happygirl
11-02-2009, 08:58 AM
Thank you. I appreciate your input.

happygirl
11-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Its fine if you just use them when your at the bottom of the hill eating lunch or on the lift and your not actually in motion.

vonski
11-02-2009, 09:25 AM
my Giro has good comfortable audio capabilities. they are built into the earmuffs and wires run inside. I have never used it though so cannot attest to the sound quality, but I also know that u can buy them after the fact and pull out the old ear muffs and put in the ones that they make for audio. Could work well with talkabouts too! I think.

ski_resort_observer
11-02-2009, 07:17 PM
One small neg about the Giro system is that most of the earmuffs on the new adult helmets have a super soft plush fabric for great comfort and warmth. The audio earmuffs that come with the Giro add on are not as nice. For most people this is not a big issue.

vonski
11-02-2009, 08:15 PM
One small neg about the Giro system is that most of the earmuffs on the new adult helmets have a super soft plush fabric for great comfort and warmth. The audio earmuffs that come with the Giro add on are not as nice. For most people this is not a big issue.

Mine were the original ones that came with the helmet. I have not paid that much attention to the add on ones, just new they exist. As far as the helmet goes, it is very comfortable.

ski_resort_observer
11-02-2009, 08:20 PM

Mine were the original ones that came with the helmet. I have not paid that much attention to the add on ones, just new they exist. As far as the helmet goes, it is very comfortable.

I love my G10 :D

boze
11-03-2009, 08:38 AM
I like my Giro G10, have used for past 2-3 seasons. Like the Bluetooth wireless to avoid tangles and hardwired connection to iPod/iPhone. Likely will enjoy more now that iPhone finally supporting stereo Bluetooth signal. Keeping the volume on low end permits plenty of range for any audible alerts, etc. while on mtn. While not 100% like those without any music on I also do not drive 55mph on the highways on clear dry days. Only downside is that being woreless the earpods project 3/4" out from either side of the helmet giving a pseudo-Frankenstein look, and the recharging can be fickle - - I've found that I must 1st disconnect the unit from the charger before unplugging the charging unit from the wall else it wil not turn on even after a full charging cycle.

happygirl
11-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Thanks. Its looks like the Giro is my best bet for a new helmet.

vonski
11-03-2009, 12:42 PM
I found mine at Mountainside in the village.

happygirl
11-03-2009, 01:23 PM
How much?

shadyjay
11-03-2009, 01:31 PM
I've got the RED helmet from Burton. Yes, it was expensive, I think $160 range, but well worth every penny for me. It comes with a mini subwoofer that takes 1 AA battery and sounds awesome (and comfortable too). It definetly helps to have a jacket with an upper pocket close to the top, that way you're not dealing with too many wires hanging. Also it has a easy access mute button on one side of the helmet, so if someone strikes up a conversation, you can easily kill the sound. They also sell just the audio pieces that fit into some helmets but you should inquire to see if they'll fit the helmet you have.

I used to have the earbuds for my Ipod, but they just killed my ears to the point where I couldn't even touch them, that and they would get too far in my ear and clog it up. Helmet is definetely the way to go for sound.

boze
11-03-2009, 01:58 PM
The G10 / Motorola combo is hard to beat for iPhone users as not only your music but also your calls get routed wirelessly to the helmet speakers, with music paused when making/receiving calls. Large buttons are glove-friendly, overall well thoguth out. And did I mention I hate dealing w/ dangling wires, esp. in the trees?? I suspect any bluetooth enabled phone / mucis player would work in same fashion as this was not sold as some iPhone or iPod specific setup but of course chk w/ the Motorola web site to confirm if using a diff device...and as the Cars sing Let The Good Times Roll!

vonski
11-03-2009, 02:48 PM
Price? all depends on the time of year and how well you can haggle. The Giro I have was 160 list with the ear phones already. Personally, I would pay any amount for mine as it is so comfortable and I have a big fat melon that made it hard to find the right size. The muffs also come right onto the ears. This prevents need for a head sock to keep the ears warm. I bought a different brand for my son once and did not notice this problem. He wore it once and complained that I ended up getting him a Giro that year.

TreeBandit
12-02-2009, 12:43 AM
I just had my new Sweet helment delivered....I no longer need my G10 Skull Candy headphones (wired) and the controler you will need a new wire from your player to the headphones. How does $25 sound (I do not remember what I paid for them, but they will not fit my new helmet....if you are interested let me know

Lostone
12-02-2009, 08:47 AM
Are these wired replacements for the ear flaps for a Giro? Will they fit a Giro Omen?