PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Biking School at the Bush this past summer

ski_resort_observer
10-23-2009, 01:50 PM
I been meaning to post this since the summer season and GS's mention of John in his post over at the Ski School? thread made me realize that since we are now getting crazy busy in order to make sure everything is set for the winter I probably would forget about it.

Tin - you have accused me over the years of being a Sugarbush shill, what can I say. I love both skiing and working here.

As Win mentioned in post recently and I believe also on Community Day summer operation has made some big jumps, no pun intended, in awesomeness this past summer. In regards to the Mountain Biking School, not it's officail name as there are several diferent programs, but I think it works here.

Lots of people are responsible for this positive move forward. As a result, being open more days next summer is on the table and will be throughly discussed and examined.

For the Mountain Biking School if you have to pick one person responsible for it's success it's John Atkinson. As GS mentioned his primary driver is his passion. Same for downhill mountain biking, getting people to enjoy the outside. His high level of customer service, flexibility and hands on approach helped alot too. His great coaches, Brian(Diggity), the another John :wink: and Tony. The awesome group of Junior coaches, a smart investment for future years. Every lesson we booked those who came into the shop after, without exception, gushed about how great the lesson was and how awesome the coach or coaches were. The Kid's weeklong or weekend Adventure Camps same thing.

I wanted to post this cause I don't think alot of Sugarbush skiing/riding regulars come up in the summer so I consider it just sharing about what a great job John, as both a coach and the primary archetect(sic) of the lesson programs, did this summer with the education side of downhill mountain biking here. Again, all the coaches too.

Okay, shill moment over

HowieT2
10-23-2009, 02:29 PM
I been meaning to post this since the summer season and GS's mention of John in his post over at the Ski School? thread made me realize that since we are now getting crazy busy in order to make sure everything is set for the winter I probably would forget about it.

Tin - you have accused me over the years of being a Sugarbush shill, what can I say. I love both skiing and working here.

As Win mentioned in post recently and I believe also on Community Day summer operation has made some big jumps, no pun intended, in awesomeness this past summer. In regards to the Mountain Biking School, not it's officail name as there are several diferent programs, but I think it works here.

Lots of people are responsible for this positive move forward. As a result, being open more days next summer is on the table and will be throughly discussed and examined.

For the Mountain Biking School if you have to pick one person responsible for it's success it's John Atkinson. As GS mentioned his primary driver is his passion. Same for downhill mountain biking, getting people to enjoy the outside. His high level of customer service, flexibility and hands on approach helped alot too. His great coaches, Brian(Diggity), the another John :wink: and Tony. The awesome group of Junior coaches, a smart investment for future years. Every lesson we booked those who came into the shop after, without exception, gushed about how great the lesson was and how awesome the coach or coaches were. The Kid's weeklong or weekend Adventure Camps same thing.

I wanted to post this cause I don't think alot of Sugarbush skiing/riding regulars come up in the summer so I consider it just sharing about what a great job John, as both a coach and the primary archetect(sic) of the lesson programs, did this summer with the education side of downhill mountain biking here. Again, all the coaches too.

Okay, shill moment over

I agree. Can't thank John enough for all he does. Especially like his thursday e-mails.

Didn't know Diggity had a real name. :o

with respect to regulars coming up in the summer, I think it would be great if there was a blazer summer/fall get together. The kids would be totally pumped to see their friends. The parents would have an excuse to come up and it would get a big group of people to the mountain together. It would be a big party.

win
10-23-2009, 02:50 PM
The Johns do a fabulous job for us all year around, and we are going to continue to think about expanding our programs. Even thinking about overnight camps if we see the demand.

Tin Woodsman
10-23-2009, 02:50 PM

Okay, shill moment over

Not that it matters, but I don't have any problem with this sort of post. It's great to see a program like this get off the ground to help turn SB into a 4 season destination. I think it's fair to say that the one thing everyone on this board has in common is a love for SB. Otherwise, who would waste their time finding and posting here? It's the whole "Who cares! Just have a good time!" argument in response to valid criticisms that drives me nuts. If we all drink the Kool-Aid, we are doing Win a disservice by not giving him accurate feedback.

Hawk
10-23-2009, 03:11 PM
As someone who rides DH about 10 days a year at SB I can say this. Not only does the crew do a fine job teaching but also does a great job working the hill. The hours of back breaking work the create and maintain the trails go largely unnoticed. I see JA and the crew everytime I go up there working away or riding with the kids. Hopefully the hard work will payoff with increased visits. I personally have to thank you guys. I ejoyed the hell out of those trails this summer. Hope some new stuff is slated for next year.

gone.skiing
10-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Amen! We do not get out as much during summer... a weekend or two tops, but every time it is a great experience. Nice to be able to sit on the Bravo w/o freezing your face off. Trail network is growing nicely and has something for every skill and age level. Terrain park at the bottom was awesome this, kids could just lap that for hours. By the way coaches are as smooth on bikes as they are on skis, it is pretty amazing sight.

A few shorts from August trip this year

Takes a little while to get used to different colors...
http://searcher.smugmug.com/Sugarbush/Mountain-biking-Aug-09/MG1687/662777417_HFJgC-M.jpg

Snowball feels a lot faster on the bike...
http://searcher.smugmug.com/Sugarbush/Mountain-biking-Aug-09/MG1693/662778932_a8b98-M.jpg

It is all about carving on skis or bikes...
http://searcher.smugmug.com/Sugarbush/Mountain-biking-Aug-09/MG1731/662781624_UpXF9-M.jpg

Nobody gets hurt in the air...
http://searcher.smugmug.com/Sugarbush/Mountain-biking-Aug-09/MG1785/662784519_y3x7M-M.jpg

POV stuff does not work all that great on the bike. Too much movement and not enough camera angle. You have been warned...
http://vimeo.com/6998694