PDA

View Full Version : CT ski club bulk-buy pricing announced

TimKeogh
09-18-2009, 02:31 PM
$53, up $5 from last years $48. 10% increase, still beats retail though...

I did however, take a hit on unused tickets I returned last year.
I only got $37 credit on tickets I shelled out $48 for.

Caveat Emptor!

summitchallenger
09-18-2009, 04:54 PM

Caveat Emptor!

Better than the $0 I got for unused vouchers I had to other resorts for last season. I think you made out better than most folks. I don't know if they are intended to be repurchased at the end of a season, but if so that is a good deal even if you didn't get full face value.

Not trying to be a dick, but just saying it was better than nothing.

TimKeogh
09-20-2009, 07:01 PM

Caveat Emptor!

Better than the $0 I got for unused vouchers I had to other resorts for last season. I think you made out better than most folks. I don't know if they are intended to be repurchased at the end of a season, but if so that is a good deal even if you didn't get full face value.

Not trying to be a dick, but just saying it was better than nothing.

Summit. Yeah, that sucks when you pay good money and get nothing.

I have to decide next week how many times I will ski this winter.
I am always over-optimistic and plan to ski almost every weekend..
This would be fine, I'll give SB all the money up front for the discount I get.

HOWEVER
Kids sports, weather, work - always get in the way. I end up skiing less than my "grand plan" in September.

So now my wife is telling me to only buy like 10 tickets, because we have to assume the risk of losing out. THAT SUCKS.

I would rather have SB work with me as a long-term customer and refund 100%. I would end up buying/skiing way more than I will this year.

I have been in the program for 10 yrs, 2008 was the only year I did not get a full refund, I have returned 2-3 tickets per year.

Am I wrong to want a full refund for unused tickets?

castlerock
09-21-2009, 07:19 AM
The idea of pre-buy, is that it is "pre-buy". You get a discount, the mountain gets cash up front. Why should you get a significant discount on the day ticket price, if you have the option of returning the ticket? There are other avenues for pricing in between ski club and ticket window, including offsite (I'm assuming it is still in play) and Sugar card or whatever it is called now. $11 a ticket isn't unreasonable for a "re-stocking" charge.

summitchallenger
09-21-2009, 07:33 AM
Am I wrong to want a full refund for unused tickets?

Well what was the policy/terms of sale? What do the tickets say?

I understand that it sucks, but again, you are getting more for them than other people. The norm is that there are no refunds for unused tickets or ticket vouchers. You use them or lose them. It sounds like they had some special deal for these tickets or some special rule or perhaps that they wanted to do you a favor. That is good.

And again, I shredded my vouchers to other ski areas on May 15th and got nothing for them. I could have called the resorts and made a stink but the tickets, like yours, were only good for the 2008-2009 season. So the fact that you got all but $11 or so for each ticket is a good deal considering that they are technically worth nothing.

Sorry that it is probably not what you want to hear, but I am willing to bet that if you tried to do the same thing with Stowe, Killington, or Sunday River that they would tell you "sorry we can't help you."

Lostone
09-21-2009, 08:17 AM
Not trying to pile on, but how could it be good for Sugarbush to give a substantial discount on a bulk of tickets and guarantee their sale?

I can see them having a partial refund return policy for such a large and diverse club, but taking a loss on unused tickets is the risk you take for getting a really good deal.

Yard Sale
09-21-2009, 10:13 AM
So now my wife is telling me to only buy like 10 tickets

Buy a season pass in the spring, the break even point usually sits at +/- 15 days, then you have to ski or risk the loss. Plus, one kid (under 12) skis free per pass.

vonski
09-21-2009, 11:57 AM
So now my wife is telling me to only buy like 10 tickets

Buy a season pass in the spring, the break even point usually sits at +/- 15 days, then you have to ski or risk the loss. Plus, one kid (under 12) skis free per pass.

I agree, with the Ellen plus pass bought in May I will break even after 6/7 days if my 11 year old son skis those days as well. which he will. and then it gets cheaper every day after that. Think SNOW!!!

Tin Woodsman
09-21-2009, 12:47 PM
It's unfortunate, but thems the rules of the game. I just try to do as good a job as possible in matching my purchase to reality. Regardless, losing out on $11/ticket works out to what - $3-4 per ticket over the course of the whole year? Still a great deal.

RedneckMutha
09-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Ya buy it ya own it - ya don't use it ya lose it! ................Redneck Mutha