PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes You Wanna Go...... Weekend at the Bush 9/11-9/14

shadyjay
09-15-2009, 08:39 AM
...... where everybody knows your name!

Spent this past weekend at my family's condo up on Trailside Ten. Great weekend, my first back since I left in April after living in VT since '05. Purpose of the mission was an exploratory one. Check out the condo - convert it from a "tornado" status down to a somewhat liveable status as she'll be my home for the winter... a nice 1/2 mile downhill hike each morning should get me all warmed up for lift ops.

Spent Friday and Sunday afternoons at the base of Bravo seeing some of my crew from the winter. Talked to my super and got the ok to return. Went for a lift ride up to top of Bravo, then hiked up Jester to Lincoln Peak, Long Trail to Castlerock, then down Castlerock's work roads to the base. As previously mentioned in another post, the trails are mowed and they look great... don't remember them being mowed last year, or at least not when I hiked last year. Work road on Castlerock definetely gave my legs a workout. Lots of freshly painted green towers and terminals and a couple new lift shacks and improvements I was told. A BIG PLUS is new chair numbers on Bravo, North Lynx, and I think Gate House too. THEY NEEDED THEM BAD... GREAT JOB!

What amazed me on Sunday was how many diehard mountain bikers are out there. Despite the rain/drizzle/dreariness, a few kept on lapping. Saw the "Johns" out riding. Not too many on the zipline on Sunday, I still have to ride it one of these days.

Woke up Monday, packed up the new truck, and with quite the chill in the air, I departed for CT, thinking that the next time I return, it hopefully will be for a much longer duration, and the green will hopefully be replaced with a white coating that will keep getting thicker and thicker until the spring.

So to those of you I saw over the weekend, thanks for the greeting. To those I didn't, I'll be seeing you all again real soon...

2 months (or so) and counting!!!!!!!!

-Shady Jay

-Hogan

Hawk
09-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Jay, welcome to the neighborhood! You will be very close to me. You can ski down to the base on a snow day if you don't mind a little cross road skiing at the bottom of Village Run. You can also ski home... ah ...um.........Oh never mind... :wink:

shadyjay
09-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Its funny - everyone I talk to has been saying I can ski to/from work. Only problem is, my board and gear is kept in the locker room and I get out of work after the lifts close (obviously). I could drive down every day, but the "hell corner" isn't too much fun either way in the snow. Shuttle bus is not an option in the AM, but its not really that far of a walk. In the afternoon/evening, I can hop on a bus, or hoof it. Any way I look at it, definitely going to save some gas money, as last winter I was driving in every day from Waterbury.

On previous stays at the condo, I'd walk across Village Run and East Drive, then up Village Road a little ways to a cut-in, which would take me to Out to Lunch. Depending, you could then either strap in there and go down, and still have to deal with the flat out at the end, OR hike up to Easy Rider or cut across Sugarbear Road. If I end up taking my board/gear home, I may just do one of those options.

Still, going to be REALLY NICE living right on the mountain!

Hawk
09-15-2009, 02:46 PM
How could I forget. You are on a board. Yup. It would be difficult on a board. It is a little flat at the bottom where you cut through the Forums. It is sweet living on the hill. 8)

shadyjay
09-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Too bad they abandoned the lower half of Village Run... if they had put a bridge or tunnel in at Village Road, it'd be true "ski in - ski out". Go to a place like Okemo and you'll see all those condos and such are true ski in/out and when a road is required, the ski trail goes through an oversize culvert, or over a bridge. Guess there was never a demand for that along Village Run.

Took Village Run once on skis - was quite the workout. And while it does go right by the condo, its not an option on a board. I do remember seeing the groomers go right by the condo on occasion during the winter... quite the sight to see in your backyard!