PDA

View Full Version : Re: NY road warriors

HowieT2
08-13-2009, 10:33 AM
On my last trip up I noticed that there's a bridge under construction on route 22 just south of Jiminy Peak. Looks like it will be a major bottleneck all winter. Anyone know of a work around??

Tin Woodsman
08-13-2009, 02:55 PM
On my last trip up I noticed that there's a bridge under construction on route 22 just south of Jiminy Peak. Looks like it will be a major bottleneck all winter. Anyone know of a work around??

A small country road known as I-91. :lol: I always go that way, so I can't offer much in the way of alternatives.

Maybe stay on the thruway longer?

HowieT2
08-13-2009, 03:07 PM

A small country road known as I-91. :lol: I always go that way, so I can't offer much in the way of alternatives.

Thruway? Never heard of it. Taconic, baby!

vonski
08-13-2009, 03:08 PM
I-91 had that problem a couple years ago in Greenfield Mass. Luckily the extra hour drive made a big difference in the amount of ski traffic one would hit reducing the congestion on the one lane highway.

Howie, how about going up Rte 7, but going through Pittsfield is no fun either. Good Luck with that.

I just looked at a map and it looks like you can at end of Taconic go north/west on 90 and take State Hwy 13 in Old Chatam to Hwy 66 to 26 then east on 43 and back onto 22 just north of Jiminy Peak. I think and have no idea what those roads are like. except I am not sure if there is an exit off 90 there or not.

HowieT2
08-13-2009, 03:11 PM
I-91 had that problem a couple years ago in Greenfield Mass. Luckily the extra hour drive made a big difference in the amount of ski traffic one would hit reducing the congestion on the one lane highway.

Howie, how about going up Rte 7, but going through Pittsfield is no fun either. Good Luck with that.

I just looked at a map and it looks like you can at end of Taconic go north/west on 90 and take State Hwy 13 in Old Chatam to Hwy 66 to 26 then east on 43 and back onto 22 just north of Jiminy Peak. I think and have no idea what those roads are like. except I am not sure if there is an exit off 90 there or not.

Rte 7 suchs. But your other suggestion just may work. and I'm just the loon to give it a try.

kcyanks1
08-15-2009, 06:02 PM

I'm confused. Do you end up on 22 in Massachusetts taking the Taconic from NY? I can't remember all the roads exactly right now, but when I come up, I take the Taconic to the last exit (one of the Chatham exits) and then take some local roads and eventually hit NY 22, I think, and then 7 and then there is some bypass that skips Bennington and then I take 7 up to Rutland, and there are a couple options from there (staying on 7 and taking 7 to 128(??) to 17 or taking route 4 to 100). I'm being very vague, I know. But I can't see how the part of 22 that I end up near is anywhere near Jiminy Peak. Truthfully, I have no idea where Jiminy Peak is, except that it's in Mass., and I never go into Mass. on my way to SB :-)

HowieT2
08-15-2009, 07:16 PM

I'm confused. Do you end up on 22 in Massachusetts taking the Taconic from NY? I can't remember all the roads exactly right now, but when I come up, I take the Taconic to the last exit (one of the Chatham exits) and then take some local roads and eventually hit NY 22, I think, and then 7 and then there is some bypass that skips Bennington and then I take 7 up to Rutland, and there are a couple options from there (staying on 7 and taking 7 to 128(??) to 17 or taking route 4 to 100). I'm being very vague, I know. But I can't see how the part of 22 that I end up near is anywhere near Jiminy Peak. Truthfully, I have no idea where Jiminy Peak is, except that it's in Mass., and I never go into Mass. on my way to SB :-)

That's the route. You do pass by Jiminy peak which is right over the border in MA but 22 is on the NY side. It is near where 22 intersects with 43. You can see the windmill from the road. I believe the town is Stephentown. The bridge is over kinderhook creek just south of the aforementioned intersection.

kcyanks1
08-16-2009, 10:21 PM

That's the route. You do pass by Jiminy peak which is right over the border in MA but 22 is on the NY side. It is near where 22 intersects with 43. You can see the windmill from the road. I believe the town is Stephentown. The bridge is over kinderhook creek just south of the aforementioned intersection.

I'll have to look closer at a map.. So what is the part I should avoid this year? I maybe only drive up once or twice a year or so in the end, since I'll go with the ski club bus trips when it's possible.

HowieT2
11-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Good news. Looks like the bridge won't be an issue.

http://eastwickpress.com/news/2009/10/stephentown-route-22-bridge-nearing-completion/

am I crazy or is this the one and only road project to ever be finished on time? must be the economy. Whatever, I ain't complaining.